“Quiet Cabin on the River”
other travelers have booked this property
Screened In Porch Jacuzzi Tub for 2
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Screened In Porch
Jacuzzi Tub for 2
Bathroom with Jacuzzi Tub, Standing Shower and Sink.
Comfortable Tastefully Decorated Living room and Breakfast Area
Tv, and Stereo!
Loft Bedroom with Queen Size Bed, Great views from window looking at river and mountains!
Front View of Cottage
Living room and Spiral Staircase to Loft Bedroom. Sliding glass doors to Screened in Porch.
1st floor bedroom with Full Size Bed
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 22 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Adventure...
“Quiet Cabin on the River”
Reviewed September 1, 2018 for a stay in August 2018

MY wife and I had a very pleasant weekend on the river, where the only noises were heard was the river itself. We saw many people kayaking and fishing in the river as we sat on the screened in front porch and enjoyed a weekend away from it all. Shar, the landlady, is very welcoming and friendly.

Sep 2, 2018
Thank you so much for coming to A Bittersweet Retreat, Dennis & his wife were a joy to have here & took amazing care of the cottage. I hope they return, & you might want to Thank Dennis for connecting the Blue Ray with the TV, it certainly makes it easier to use!
Please come back the cottage misses you.
My Best Wishes To You Both!!
wplyon
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Hospitality and Charm in a Great Location”
Reviewed July 23, 2018 for a stay in July 2018

We had a wonderful stay at A Bittersweet Retreat. Shar's hospitality and attentiveness were top-notch, and the house was perfect for my wife and I. We were looking for something relaxing, close to the river, and cozy, and this place had it all. We took a stroll down to the river at night, but were also within a 15-20 minute drive of canoeing, sightseeing, and restaurants/breweries. The house had everything we needed (linens, towels, supplies) and Shar even made us cookies and raspberry jam! Shar also provided great local recommendations, and stopped by to tidy up when we were out. Overall, we would definitely come back and would recommend this house for couples looking for a relaxing getaway in the Shenandoah region. Thanks, Shar!

Jul 24, 2018
Hi Bill & Leda,
You felt more like friends then customers, what a treat is was for me to have people like you. I wish all my customers were as nice as you & took such Good Care of the cottage, it was almost like I had it ready for you.
Thanks A Million for Coming & I Really Hope You Come Back!!!
Ron N
Frederick
“True Relaxation at its finest”
Reviewed March 26, 2017 for a stay in March 2017
person found this review helpful

This is a great place to unwind and relax, The amenities were top rate. From the jacuzzi tub, the screened in front porch, and the outdoor fire ring (just to name a few); we could not have been more pleased. The constant soothing sound of rushing water on the river, seeing and hearing the best of nature, from birds to deer, and very friendly residents made our stay very pleasant. The hostess, Shar, is simply the best and went out of her way to make sure our weekend was an enjoyable one. The home baked goods greeting us when we arrived was an unexpected surprise, and our dog enjoyed her treats as well. Can't wait to come back and enjoy a very special place!

Mar 28, 2017
I couldn't have ask for better people & Nani (the four legged baby) to have stayed at the cottage, there have been very few that left the cottage is such good shape. Had I not known better I wouldn't have thought anyone stayed there. They were just the most delightful people to have .
I truly hope they do come back to stay, they will always be most welcome.
Shar Mayne
Carol N
“Fabulous, Beautiful, Wonderful!”
Reviewed August 31, 2016 for a stay in August 2016
person found this review helpful

We stayed at Bittersweet Retreat for 3 nights and it was absolutely wonderful! The view is breathtaking! Char is absolutely wonderful! I suggest you definitely splurge on Char's amazing breakfasts! Delicious! I've already told my parents and brother and sister in law they need to take a vacation there! I will definitely be back!!

Friends getaway Older travelers
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Sep 1, 2016
Thank you Carol for that wonderful review I really appreciate it! I must tell you that You Both were wonderful people to have stay in the cottage you took Really Good care of it, & I truly appreciate it. I am also looking forward to your return!
Shar Mayne
slatoct
Alexandria, VA
“Perfect setting for a perfectly peaceful weekend”
Reviewed November 23, 2015 for a stay in November 2015
person found this review helpful

My wife and I and spent a long weekend in November at A Bittersweet Retreat and absolutely loved it. The owner, Shar, was most welcoming and was great about making sure we had everything we needed. The place was spotless when we arrived, though she was apologetic over a small area rug not being vacuumed before we got there. For the life of me I couldn't find a speck of anything on it! Working with her through the booking and payment process was a breeze.

There's so much to do in the Shenandoah Valley and this property was a perfect base of operations for our weekend. Easy drive from the DC area, yet it felt like a true getaway from our day-to-day world. Tucked away on a quiet road overlooking the river, from the house we were still only a short drive away from Luray when we required provisions (pie and other pastries from a terrific coffee shop/restaurant in town).

Can't wait to find time for another trip!

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Friends getaway
Susan M
York, Pennsylvania
“GREAT GET AWAY”
Reviewed October 29, 2015 for a stay in October 2015

This cottage is ABSOLUTELY the best, spotless clean!
Shar the owner was a joy to work with., she goes out of her way to make sure you have everything you need, very helpful kind and generous host
baked goodies were delicious ! :)
It was very relaxing to sit by the fire pit and listen to the geese down by the river
cottage is great location and only few miles from town of Luray and skyline drive
I will surely be back !

Susan :)

Liked best: great location
Liked least: nothing
Traveling group: Solo
People with pets
Oct 31, 2015
Thank you Susan for the lovely review I really appreciate it, & Thank You for taking such good care of the cottage, you are a delight to have & I am so looking forward to you & Tucker coming back!
My Very Best To You,
nlopez72
Greenbelt, Maryland
“Awesome place to stay”
Reviewed August 27, 2015 for a stay in August 2015
person found this review helpful

This was one of the best getaways I have ever had! The place is just awesome. The view of the mountains and the river are priceless. At night, you can hear the river sounds, and it is so relaxing.

Also, the owner Shar, is fantastic. She is devoted and committed to you from check in to check out making sure you have everything you need. She is great at restaurants and activities recommendations.

We are absolutely coming back soon!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The view and location
Liked least: I liked everything
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing