“Tasty, Noisy, excellent service”
Review of Il Fornaio - CLOSED

Il Fornaio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: In the tradition of Italy's trattorias, the sight, sounds and aromas of authentic Italian cuisine are recreated fresh everyday at Il Fornaio. Literally "the baker" in Italian, Il Fornaio offers wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade and imported pastas; pizzas from a wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch. The first two weeks of each month a special menu from a different region of Italy is featured as part of Festa Regionale.
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Last minute reservation for 7 on a busy Tuesday night. Food was good and the service was excellent. Only drawback was the noise level. Excellent place for a business dinner. Would probably not recommend for a romantic night out.

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

When Il Fornaio opened in the RTC several years ago, it arrived with premium prices but the food quality and great service made the high cost of their pasta tolerable. Since then, the food quality has dropped to mediocre at best and the service, though still good, cannot justify the prices on its own. On our last visit in June, I decided on the $30 lamb chops. Four tiny chops arrived after sitting in the warming area too long looking skimpy and disappointing. The caesar salad that preceded the main course was also tasteless...very little dressing on romaine that had hints of brown on the edges and croutons that were hard enough to break a tooth; hardly a $10 salad by any stretch. If you are looking for a good value in Italian food, keep walking past Il Fornaio to any of the lower priced chain joints nearby that don't pretend to offer premium food
and charge half the price accordingly.

Joel B, General Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Hi Thomas, thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations. We'd love if you gave us another chance to make it up to you, and I promise you won't be disappointed, please contact me next time you'd like to dine with us @ Jbarajas@ilfo.com

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Virginia is terra incognito to me, and usually to be avoided at all costs. But I found myself in Reston and wanting a competent lunch. I've eaten many times at Il Fornaio in California and been past or in an out of other locations, including the one in room. It is a chain, but then the benefit of that is that there is a common standard. This was better than I remembered it at some of the Cali outlets. The service was quite good here and the salad nice. Dressed competently, but not overdressed. The bread is also memorable and the EVOO quite good. Parking beneath the building is free and convenient, and seemed to be plentiful at lunch time. Overall, pretty good, though certainly not the culinary heights. But it was lunch after all.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Frozen by the air conditioning and disappointed by the quality of the food and service, we left rather deflated.
We all four of us tried the Sicilian meal - the bean soup apparently was good, but the calamari was over cooked. The pasta course was small, bland and boring.
My main course was stuffed beef, a nice idea had it not been over cooked. The total bill, plus tip for the four of us, was $310 - far too much for the quality presented to us. Will definitely not be recommending this place to friends.

Hi Peter, we're glad you took your time to provide us with your feedback and let me be the first to apologize for not meeting up to your standards. We'd like if you gave us another chance to and I'll guarantee you'll be pleased. Just contact me @ Jbarajas@ilfo.com next time you'd like to dine with us and we'll take care of you.

-Joel Barajas

Reviewed June 14, 2014

We enjoyed a wonderful Saturday morning brunch here. The omelets are very good. They arrived hot and were served with fruit, potatoes and bread. Coffee is excellent. I really enjoyed my chat with the manager while waiting on my friend. Our sever was delightful. We will certainly be back!