“Pricey for average food”
Review of M & S Grill

M & S Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
M & S Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 150 Restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Library St.
Transit: Reston Town Center - Fairfax Connector.
Shenandoah Valley, VA
“Pricey for average food”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Ended up at M&S Grill on a Friday night when other favorite Reston restaurants were too busy to seat us. When we got a table immediately I was hoping it was because the food is expensive rather than not good. Medallions of beef were more like flank steak than a more tender cut although tasty; mac & cheese was ridiculous huge ziti or whatever and very little cheese; mashed potatoes were close to boxed instant; stuffed shrimp was fairly good; apple pie and sorbet were very good. Server tried hard but was somewhat off. Other staff were very friendly and thanked us for coming. On the plus side, it was very quiet and conversation with elderly guest was possible. I would return but it wouldn't be my first or even second choice in the Reston area. Food quality just isn't there. Final bill for three with tip and taxes and no alcohol was $120.

• Visited December 2013

Reston, Virginia
“Average at Best”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Just another lackluster chain at Reston Town Center. Wine list is nice, but the food is boring and uninspiring. As noted by other reviewers, the service is aloof and clueless. I inquired about the Salmon Gremolata - specifically how it was cooked. The server responded that "gremolata" is just a fancy name for salmon. Seriously? In addition, we had to send a steak entree back that arrived cold. Server didn't even apologize for the problem. Have a glass of wine at the bar and then head somewhere else for dinner.

• Visited October 2013
Leesburg, Virginia
“Great food POOR service”
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I chose this restaurant as a last minute, something different than our normal Reston town center dinner choices. It wasn't overly busy for a Friday night, and we got a nice table outside to celebrate a big occasion with what I expected to be a great dinner.

The food I have to rate 4 stars. The food was great! I recommend the shrimp en brochettes and flounder if you dare to eat here. Both dishes we delicious. I can't give it a 5 stars because the sides were quite dull and boring, but the entree items were wonderful! Drinks we pretty good as well.

The service was terrible. Our server was very slow, very spacey, very forgetful, and very rarely came to check if we needed anything. The restaurant was not busy and the server had just a few tables, VERY manageable Friday night section of tables. The service should match the price, and this service wasn't even close. I've worked in a high caliber restaurant and expect much much more even from a half decent server. We waited over 45 minutes between finishing our appetizer and receiving entree. I also waited 15 minutes from ordering to even receive a drink while i watched two other tables order drinks after us and receive them before us. I had to walk in the restaurant to track down a manager to find out anything about when our entree would be out after asking our server who was clueless. The manager delivered the food, but didn't really care that we did not receive good service.

If the manager had responded in a better manner then I would give my review a second thought hopping that it was just the server. But I am not sure that I would receive quality service if we dined here again.

Think long and hard before eating here and know you could be in for a really long drawn out dinner with very poor service. I would love to eat the flounder and shrimp again, but the poor service will keep us from returning. What a shame.

Visited September 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice place...”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We usually sit at the bar and order a light dinner, but have had several of the specials.

Have never been disappointed, and the service is very good as well.

Visited June 2013
Yorktown
“Excellent food, waitstaff just off”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

First, I need to admit we were here at an odd hour - 4:30pm on a weekday. We asked for seating outside and ate there, despite the fact that the tables had been poorly serviced. Our waiter (who shall remain nameless) was rail thin and literally seemed 'wired' and highly distracted during the service. A great deal of activity was taking place in the near deserted dining courtyard. We saw far too much of the waitstaff and cooking team dodging outside quickly then returning to the inside dining area. Folks dining at the front outside area didn't experience this because the courtyard there was very, very public.

Our waiter was impatient, but the food arrived perfectly prepared. I'd had a Guinness and asked for an appropriate wine with my meal and it was also a perfect selection ($12/glass). Filet and stuffed shrimp at about $39 was actually worth it - better than other meals I've had that cost substantially more. Still, a poorly cleaned table and a waiter who seemed possibly in some altered state does not make for a five star rating.

• Visited August 2013