“Great Local Establishment”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafesano

Cafesano
Ranked #3 of 147 Restaurants in Reston
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Cafesano serves Italian and Mediterranean food in an upscale quick-casual cafe environment located on Lake Thoreau in the South Lakes Village Center in Reston, Virginia. Our hours are from 11-9 daily. Enjoy our fresh and flavorful Appetizers, Panini, Wraps, Salads, Pizza and Kabobs. Kids Menu and Gluten Free Menu available. Vegetarian friendly menu. Nice variety and reasonably priced beer and wine. Our patio overlooks Lake Thoreau and there is ample parking. Cafesano. Tastes good! Feels good!
Reston, Virginia
“Great Local Establishment”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Cafesano always has fresh ingredients. The food is prepared quickly. The prices are reasonable. I have never had anything there that was not good and I have been going there for five years now at least 2-3 times per month. The people who work there are very kind.

I especially love the pizzas like the bianca insalata and the greek pizza.

I wish that they had more outdoor seating.

• Visited January 2014

Reston VA
“Love the zucchini fritti”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Nice go to place for pizza, pasta, or soup on cold winter night. Everything always seems fresh. They have a good selection of wines at reasonable prices. We love their fried zucchini but get it with taziki sauce rather than marinara.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Godguy
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“So glad for Cafe Sano!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Cafe Sano is a frequent visit for us (about once every two weeks). We've both spent a lot of time in the Med region and this is probably the most authentic Med food you will find anywhere in the area. Their hummus, tzatziki, baba ghanoush, pasta, pizza, and kabob platters are probably their best offerings. For dessert, the tiramisu and cannoli are excellent. We spend around $11/person when we go which we feel is very reasonable.

It's best to go at an off-time because it can get very busy at peak times and the wait times can be long. The only thing I didn't like that I've had there is the avocado spread on the vegetable panini.

At lunch, you can order at their take out store which is just a few stores down. Pasta is not served until after 5pm and they run out of some kinds of it occasionally.

There is a lovely view of the lake from many of the tables and it has a certain charm that is hard to find in the area. In the warm months, they open a nice patio with flowers and a view of the lack.

Reston, Virginia
“Great restaurant shoots itself in the foot”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is a much celebrated local success story combining excellent food with a clever service model and genial staff.

Last night my wife and I went along as we have been doing more or less weekly since the place opened with the idea of enjoying their excellent new tomato flatbread washed down with a nice bottle of Malbec.

"I'll have to see your id!" said the person taking our order. We know most of the staff who work there but not this young girl. Must be new.

Now, I am 61 and my wife is 47 so we were initially inclined simply to refer to the 100+ times we've dined in that restaurant and trust that common sense would prevail, especially as my wife had left home without her purse.

"It's a new rule!" she barked, failing to suppress the look of triumph on her under age face.

We can argue the merits or otherwise of Virginia's reign of terror on restaurants that serve alcohol to youngsters but this young lady was gleefully extracting her revenge on two people who could easily muster five times her own age between them.

As we left quietly to eat elsewhere we couldn't help feel that, even if the management does see the sense of carding pensioners like myself, they are going to lose an enormous amount of business by doing it with such unbridled hostility.

2 Thank Jim A
Paul S, Owner at Cafesano, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Jim,
First - thank you for your kind words at the beginning of your review and for being one of our long-standing loyal guests.
But sorry and sorry again!
We apologize for asking for your IDs. We did start a policy of IDing all guests a few months ago to guarantee we didn't mistakenly "guesstimate" the age of any of our guests and serve alcohol to a minor. However, based on feedback from yourself and a few other "mature" regular guests, we'll now only be IDing guests who appear to be 40 or younger.
We're more concerned about the unacceptable behavior of the cashier who took your order. As you know and commented, we're proud to have a team of friendly, welcoming Associates who appreciate and understand the importance of customer service. I've asked our GM to look into the incident you reported and we'll be sure it doesn't happen to you or any other guest again. We apologize for the inconvenience to you and your wife on Tuesday night. I hope you'll give us another opportunity to regain your patronage.
Dingwall, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was my second visit to Cafesano. I live in the UK and visit Reston a couple of times each year. Having found this place in February it was high on my list of places to visit again; it did not disappoint. I went as one of a party of 4 - I had the chicken kabob, limoncello and coffee - all good. The food is fresh, the service is good and the prices are reasonable - what's not to like. I'd like to try it for dinner - maybe in 2014!