“Excellent lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Cafesano
Ranked #4 of 144 Restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Italian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Cafesano serves Italian and Mediterranean food in an upscale quick-casual cafe environment located on Lake Thoreau in the South Lakes Village Center in Reston, Virginia. Our hours are from 11-9 daily. Enjoy our fresh and flavorful Appetizers, Panini, Wraps, Salads, Pizza and Kabobs. Kids Menu and Gluten Free Menu available. Nice variety and reasonably priced beer and wine. Our patio overlooks Lake Thoreau and there is ample parking. Cafesano. Tastes good! Feels good!
Dingwall, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was my second visit to Cafesano. I live in the UK and visit Reston a couple of times each year. Having found this place in February it was high on my list of places to visit again; it did not disappoint. I went as one of a party of 4 - I had the chicken kabob, limoncello and coffee - all good. The food is fresh, the service is good and the prices are reasonable - what's not to like. I'd like to try it for dinner - maybe in 2014!

• Visited December 2013

Reston, Virginia
“Not what I expected from this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have been coming here for a long time and have never had a problem. Pizza always was good. Went for lunch and had a pizza, like I always order, and there was something with the food station that did not take precautions for allergy- I am deathly allergic to shellfish and had a reactionso severe which sent me to the emergency room for five hours. This was the only meal I had so I know it was the food that was the problem.
When I called them the next day, they sounded apologetic, and some other manager called me. I asked to please talk to the owner, who never called me. They MUST be more concerned about potential shellfish allergies- I had such a severe reaction that I cannot ever go back. Luckily I was able to get to the hospital very quickly.
Also, they never called me back to see how I was doing, or asked me for my address or anything. I would have expected much better and they could at least have offered to pay for my meal which made me so deathly sick. I would NEVER go here if I have any allergies, as their supposed precautions are obviously not followed and shellfish allergies are not uncommon, so they should take this much more seriously than they have. Very disappointing.

• Visited November 2013
Paul S, Owner at Cafesano, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I'm very sorry you weren't pleased with our response. As you know, I was out of town when you had this unfortunate experience but as soon as our GM told me about it, I had our Director of Marketing follow up with you - all within hours of receiving your call. Please know that we do take ALL food allergies very seriously and we take precautions in our kitchen to minimize any cross contamination. We also ask our guests, as indicated on our menus and menu board, to let us know if they have any particular food allergies so we can be sure to address their particular allergy and, if possible, take even more precautions. Most of our kitchen is an "open" kitchen and guests can watch for themselves to see that we're observing all necessary and appropriate safety procedures when it comes to food handling. However, despite taking all possible precautions, it's unfortunately impossible for us to guarantee that there will be absolutely no cross contamination. I can assure you that our Director of Marketing reported back to me as soon as she finished speaking with you and we were immediately in touch with our GM who spoke to his staff to confirm all safety procedures were being followed to minimize cross contamination.
I apologize again for your unfortunate dining experience with us. I believe our Director of Marketing encouraged you to identify yourself to our Manager if you decided to dine with us again. Should you do so, you can be assured that we'll do everything possible to regain your patronage as a loyal customer.
Bluemont, Virginia
“Highly recommend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have never been disappointed with the quality of the food and service at this restaurant. Their pizza is the best I’ve ever had (and I have high standards for good pizza!). The food is always fresh and tasty. When I first discovered Cafesano I was a bit leery about how good it would be because they offer pizza, kabobs, pasta, hummus, wraps, soups and salads as I’ve eaten at a lot of places that offer a wide variety but none of it is good. Well, this place is definitely different! I am always pleasantly surprised by how good everything is that I've gotten here. The pizza and hummus are my favorite. The kabobs are very good too.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Washington, DC
“Crowded, undercooked rice, too many onions, long wait”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I am never going back to this place again and neither should you. I came in around 12:45 PM on a weekday, ordered kafta kabob platter. After fighting for seats and having one argument with a fellow patron about whether his hat was an appropriate placeholder, I got my food 15 minutes later.
The meat was cooked properly, but I suspect the kafta kabob contained some lamb, which the lady at the counter adamantly told me no it doesn't. I believed her and ate my lunch. The rice was so undercooked that it was difficult to chew. I spoke to the manager about it and she assured me the basmati rice was cooked properly. Then why can I not cut the grain of rice with my fork? Is this your version of basmati aldente?
Realizing that my plea for chewable rice was going to be ignored, I finished the onion heavy salad and roasted vegetables.
I would never go back here again, for $12 and a long wait, I should be able to get cooked rice at least. Stick with Reston Kabob, better food and you might actually find a seat.

Paul S, Owner at Cafesano, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your review and please accept our apology for the unsatisfactory service you received. The experience you had is certainly not the Cafesano "standard" and I'll be reviewing your comments with our General Manager to insure other guests don't receive the same disappointing service. Our goal is to provide each and every guest with a memorable dining experience -- I'm sorry we did not meet our goal and I hope you'll give us another opportunity to serve you.
Reston, Virginia USA
“Our go-to place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

It's great to find a go-to place you know will always be a good experience. Cafesano has been our family's go-to place for years. Really good mediterranean food, nice atmosphere, reasonable prices, fairly quick service (you order at the counter and then wait at your table for them to bring it to you, though sometimes it can be a bit slow if they're crowded). This is the place we always go to before any evening activity, whether it's a school event for the kids or going to the movies.