“Nice ambience with great food”

Big Bowl Chinese and Thai
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Bowl Chinese and Thai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 161 Restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: The Reston Town Center.
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We went there on Valentine's day and had a great time. Food was great and ambience was nice too. It's in the Reston Town Center, so lots of shopping and fun options after lunch/dinner.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We ordered pot stickers to start. They were so incredibly greasy it almost made me want to vomit. For entrees, we had sesame chicken and pad thai. The sesame chicken was very bland and forgettable. The pad thai was the same.

The food would be acceptable if this was a $4.99 lunch and go type of place, but it's not. We won't be coming back here any time soon.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We discovered this place years ago at another location. The Reston location is a little bit of a trek for us, but whenever we're in that area we like to drop in.

One thing I notice about a lot of Chinese food is the lack of vegetables. I used to just get take out and then add some onions, green peppers and mushrooms. But at this place you get to decide the quantity and type of veggies you want in your meal. They have a vegetable bar, and they give you a big bowl (hence the name Big Bowl) where you fill up the bowl with what veggies you want, and then they cook it. You can specify whether you want it with rice or noodles of if you want chicken or beef or pork or salmon or tofu, and they have about ten different types of sauces to choose from. They have onions, a couple different types of mushrooms, carrots, green and red peppers, bamboo, water chestnuts, scallions, all types including some hot peppers and pineapple. Precious likes to put in a half dozen pieces of pineapple so every now and then you get a sweet surprise in a bite.

You can also order items right off the menu. In fact, most people seem to bypass the vegetable bar and order right off the menu. They have lunch specials, some Thai dishes and some Chinese dishes. The food is pretty good. I mean the food itself isn't worth shouting about. The sauces that we've tried are not super spectacular. What keeps us going to this place and what will keep us going back time and time again is the vegetable bar.

It's a nice sit-down restaurant. In warm weather they have outdoor seating. It's in a nice trendy area of Reston on a street packed with restaurants and shops. There is a parking garage half a block away.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Very nice atmosphere and service. I was served by a very nice young lady named "Kat" who was very nice and respectful. She was very knowledgeable about the menu choice and she seemed to care that I enjoyed my meal. The food was to the table very fast and at a very nice hot temperature. Later, the manger "PJ" came by to make sure that everything was okay. I could tell that he is very hands on when it comes to visiting other tables to ensure that the patrons were enjoying their meals and to see if there was anything else needed.

I ordered the Sesame Seed Chicken and it was very good and spicy. I was also given a "first timers" treat and it was very good as well. The water was refilled without even having to ask and Kat kept a watchful eye on the tables that she was working. That was a nice surprise considering that many other restaurant employees would come by either too often or not enough. Kat did an excellent job!

The atmosphere was very nice. The lights were dim, but not too dim. The place was VERY clean and spacious. I really enjoyed that because I didn't feel like anyone was too close, which made the meal much more enjoyable. I also liked the way that the cooking area was decorated with the overhead lights (very nice touch).

This restaurant serves Chinese/Thai dinners and you won't be disappointed. If you are lucky, you will have Kat and PJ working the night that you show up. They are professionals and they will make you feel welcomed.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Very tasty food. But extremely spicy so make sure you give clear instructions about your preference!