“Not just an expense account wallet-emptier”

McCormick & Schmick's
Reserve with OpenTable
McCormick & Schmick's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 154 Restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Bluemont
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is one of our favorite restaurants in Reston Town Center, especially for an intimate meeting/reunion. I know that this is a chain and is often dismissed as such, but this particular M&S has been consistently wonderful. There is another very good seafood restaurant in Reston Town Center, but it is loud and crowded, which I suppose has its merits, but M&S is the place to go if you want to be able to hear your dinner companions and enjoy first-rate seafood. In particular, they have some large secluded booths ("Horse stalls" my significant other calls them) which can accommodate 6-8 people in some degree of privacy. This is an expensive restaurant, and every time we have been, the service and food have been consistently superior, making it a value in my mind. One of our frequent dining companions is a wealthy eccentric gourmet, who dresses at all times as if he's just come in from ploughing the fields. The staff of this M&S have never even raised an eyebrow at his attire and treat him as well as any bespoke-suited guest might expect to be treated. And, oh yeah, it's a great place to entertain clients with a fat expense account, but I am also perfectly happy to eat here when the bill comes out of my own pocket.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This McCormick's has been a mainstay in Reston Town Center for many years, and deservedly so. We had a reservation and were seated immediately. The seafood is very fresh, the drinks are well made, and the service is prompt and friendly and efficient. We had oysters on the halfshell, scallops, lobster ravioli, lobster cobb salad, ahi tuna, and everyone was happy with their selections. We were in a draped booth, served by Izzet (who knows the menu and will help with selections), and four of us were able to talk and really enjoy the evening. This is a very dependable restaurant if you want to make sure you have a good meal.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Went for a business dinner. We did have a preset menu, but lots of choices. The filet mignon was just perfect! Very nice cozy private seating (need to reserve in advance). Pretty decent wine list. Will recommend highly. Excellent service by the the team, my special thanks to Adam, and the manager (apologies, forget name).

Can be quite crowded even on a weekday, so general seating may be noisy

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had a champagne budget instead of a beer budget. This restaurant is amazing! The service is incredible, knowledgeable and everything you could hope for when you are out for a special occasion.
My husband and I dined there after being apart for two weeks, It lived up to our expectations and then some. We were happy we chose to arrive on the earlier side because it did fill up very quickly and became a lot noisier. If we had arrived later I would had a difficult time with the noise level. So if you are one who has trouble with background noise go earlier.
The waiter introduced us to Ecco Domani which turned out to be a delicious pino grigio. Really surprised me how refreshing it was.
We tried the calamari appetizer ..delicious!
We both ordered the hazelnut crusted tilapia, with couscous. Cooked to perfection and delicious!
I must say the portions were perfect..

Reviewed March 16, 2013

For me, if you are with someone you value, the ingredients of a stellar dining experience include:
excellent food, of course; discrete and attentive service (servers who interrupt conversations rudely need not apply); quality wine; and an environment in which you can see and hear the other person. What's the point of having dinner with someone if you cannot talk to each other?

The McCormick & Schmick's in Reston Town Center has all of these qualities -- plus stellar deserts that make one want to linger over coffee and talk. M&S is the seafood version of Morton's, also part of the same restaurant conglomerate, and the service is of comparable excellence.

The "chocolate bag" desert is amazing. If there were an option to drop in just for an Irish coffee and desert, I might be there every night. The bag is made of a thin layer of chocolate shaped as a shopping bag, topped with white chocolate mousse, whipped cream and strawberries. Clearly wholesome as this covers most of the major food categories, doesn't it?

Service: I usually give 20% tips these days, but I rarely go higher. It takes really wonderful service to move to that next level. Even with the bill (not cheap), this was a 30% night -- quite possible more if I had it on me.

The restaurant has small "rooms" for parties of from 4-10. These are basically booths that are walled-in with 8-ft partitions of wood and glass, enabling diners to talk to an entire table without shouting over restaurant noise. Personally, I think this is a brilliant idea.