“You must try this place!”
Review of Vapiano

Vapiano
Ranked #21 of 151 Restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: Italian
Dingwall, United Kingdom
“You must try this place!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was our third visit to Vapiano in Reston,VA. It is an unusual and very effective model - customers order food - fast food style in a queue - the food is then cooked freshly for each diner. The salad with prawns, cheese and fennel is a must! All the pasta dishes we've had have been good too. It is a good place to eat in a small group - it may not be so good for a large group or a date given that it does not have table service. Fast food style - nice surroundings - fantastic food.

• Visited February 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Yummy fresh food!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The good: the flavors are amazing. Although I keep getting the same thing (pesto pasta with chicken) because I can't imagine anything else could be better. ;) I love that the pasta and sauces are all made fresh each day (and sometimes in front of you!). The bread is good as well. My husband loves their pizzas and a friend who had a sandwich thought it was very good as well.

The bad: The way you order sometimes takes FOREVER. I waited in line once for about half an hour to get my pasta. There aren't any real lines and people seem to just push their way up to the counter to order, cutting in front of you. Perhaps some 'official-looking' lines would help this? Or even maybe a take-a-number system like at a deli? Honestly, the line/ordering thing is the only real negative I've had beyond trying to find a seat on a busy Friday night and walking around looking for the only available high-chair for my daughter. But the food is so good, I wouldn't think twice of going during off-peak times and would check out the lines first during peak hours.

Visited June 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice Concept, Food Acceptable”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Very pleasant environment. A bit confusing my first (and second time) for me. Where do I go? What do I do? The pasta was okay, not memorable. A little pricey for what you get. But fun for families, noisy, spacious.

Visited November 2012
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Great for groups”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Cool ambiance, pretty decent food and affordable prices. I had a house happy hour red wine (2, actually) which wasn't too bad for the price ($3.95 for a full pour). Our party of 10 had a reserved table. Had the chicken curry pizza and it was delish - a few appetizers to split at the table as well.

Love that Vapiano's made it easy for each of us to manage our own checks. You get a card upon entering the restaurant and the hostess tells you to "charge" your card when you go to the different food stations or bar. Simple enough. When I ordered my entree I was given a pager so it was a seamless process. Don't know why so many other reviewers seemed overwhelmed at this simple concept?

I'll admit the place is loud, hectic and cramped. So is most of Reston Town Center so go somewhere else if you don't like to rub elbows with your neighbors. All in all it was a fun dining experience and I'd go back if I lived in the area.

• Visited September 2012
McLean, Virginia
“Fun for families”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great and easy dining. Everybody can order what they like and have it prepared almost while watching. Some pizza and pasta dishes are a bit too oily.

Visited September 2012