“Nice Concept, Food Acceptable”
Review of Vapiano

Vapiano
Ranked #21 of 151 Restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: Italian
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice Concept, Food Acceptable”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Very pleasant environment. A bit confusing my first (and second time) for me. Where do I go? What do I do? The pasta was okay, not memorable. A little pricey for what you get. But fun for families, noisy, spacious.

Visited November 2012

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Great for groups”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Cool ambiance, pretty decent food and affordable prices. I had a house happy hour red wine (2, actually) which wasn't too bad for the price ($3.95 for a full pour). Our party of 10 had a reserved table. Had the chicken curry pizza and it was delish - a few appetizers to split at the table as well.

Love that Vapiano's made it easy for each of us to manage our own checks. You get a card upon entering the restaurant and the hostess tells you to "charge" your card when you go to the different food stations or bar. Simple enough. When I ordered my entree I was given a pager so it was a seamless process. Don't know why so many other reviewers seemed overwhelmed at this simple concept?

I'll admit the place is loud, hectic and cramped. So is most of Reston Town Center so go somewhere else if you don't like to rub elbows with your neighbors. All in all it was a fun dining experience and I'd go back if I lived in the area.

• Visited September 2012
McLean, Virginia
“Fun for families”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great and easy dining. Everybody can order what they like and have it prepared almost while watching. Some pizza and pasta dishes are a bit too oily.

Visited September 2012
Virginia
“Fresh Italian Meets Futurama - Bad Result”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Imagine this concept - a bank of chefs behind a futuristic counter in a cavernous space that is part restaurant, part lounge, and part industrial airport terminal. They hand you a card when you enter the place, and you go up to a robotic chef at the counter and pick the elements that he/she will manufacture (er, I mean cook) for you. You must pick all elements, and if you're not very good at designing a meal - well, it is made precisely the way to specify it. Want something to drink? Perhaps you may distract the food processor to pull a bottle from the cooler. Need help from a "waiter"? There are roaming automatons to make sure you are processed within the confines of the established system. The food is edible, perhaps even tasty (if you have chosen the right elements), but the soul is left hungry for a more human experience.

I've been here for a business lunch, and it doesn't work. I've been here with my wife for a quick intimate dinner - we would have been better to cook at home. Bring the family? No way. This Vapiano concept just doesn't work for me.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank NoVaSojourner
Reston, Virginia
“Second visit”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Ordered the antipasti di carni...... it came without the provolone and smoked gouda as listed on the menu. Not a good thing. Wine is expensive. Tables are awkward and not suitable to place a pizza on.

• Visited August 2012