“Excellent choice for business travelers” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston

Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Reston
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Excellent choice for business travelers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2009

Thes service was great and the price was right for the location. The room was very clean and the community center is right next door. Plenty of restuarants in walking distance and close to Dulles tollway. You do have to pay for internet access which is disappointing, but it is only a one time fee so if you have an extended stay it is worth it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
North Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

I was tired, and didn't put a lot of effort into making hotel reservations. The next day my girlfriend told me that this hotel was the worst rated hotel in the area. Afterwards, I read several reviews from multiple websites. The number of bad reviews outnumbered the good reviews. The good reviews didn't state why they liked the hotel. I was a little suspicious.

I don't know about everyone elses experience, but let me tell you about mine. I was dreading staying seven nights in this hotel after reading several bad reviews. My attitude quickly changed when I saw the condition of the hotel, was helped by the friendly staff, and saw the condition of my room.

Although this hotel may only be a one or two star hotel, it had the conveniences that I was looking for.

The room was very clean. The room included a small kitchen area containing: a microwave, 2 burner stove, large refrigerator, pots, pans, dishes, silverware, glasses, and a sink. I needed additional dishes, and the front desk got them right away! I saved a lot of money cooking some of my own meals.

Other items in the room included a king size bed ( not very firm); a couch; a television (Not HDTV nor large screen); a kitchen area; and a bathroom.

EVERYTHING WAS CLEAN

They have a laundry onsite open 24 hours daily. Very reasonable prices.

YMCA --- Free Pass
The hotel gave me a free pass to the new YMCA next door. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to workout there. The YMCA has a pool, offers various classes, and much more.

CONS:
You have to pay $4.99 daily for internet connectivity. I think this is silly! Fortunately, I have a wireless network card and I can get internet connectivity anywhere.

No Pool! No Problem ... Go next door to the free YMCA.

The bed may not be that comfortable for some people. I am 6'4'' and it was acceptable not luxurious.

Other than this I cannot think of many cons.

GREAT AREA!!
This area is very convenient!! There is a Target across the street. Right next door there is a PotBellys sandwich shop, Chick Fillet, Chipolte, local bank, YMCA, and Gas station. Each location was new. I enjoyed the outside patio of each restaurant.

Instead of renting a car, I took a bus right across the street.

As you can tell, I expected the terrible but I received EXCELLENCE.

I stayed there seven days. I WILL STAY THERE AGAIN!!
I highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Liked — Convenience to shopping, and businesses. Price. Cleanliness. Hotel Staff. Amenities.
  • Disliked — I liked everything. But if I had to choose something I didn't like that much it would be the bed was only adequate.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank RamblingRandy
Manager20190, Hotel Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston, responded to this review, April 10, 2009
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Homestead Washington, D.C. - Reston. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Additionally, you can always book the best rate on nearly 700 hotels across the U.S. and in Canada on our website. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
Ayrshire, Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

I realise that hotels in Northern Virginia/DC metro area can be expensive and when the Homestead was consistently less than $80/night (and an awful lot newer than it is now) it was just about acceptable.

However, at $149 (plus tax) it is just a rip-off. The rooms are shabby and not 100% clean, the staff (if you ever see any) can't help with a lot of things (broken toilet, trouble with wifi) and I really don't care how much it saves, there is no excuse for single-ply toilet tissue.

To be honest, the toilet tissue sums the whole place up: functional but you would only ever choose it if you couldn't afford something better.

The only plus side is the proximity to Reston Town Center but that won't convince me to stay here again.

• Liked — Leaving it!
  • Disliked — The dead insects in the closet
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Washington, D.C. - Reston. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Manhattan Beach, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2007

There's not much you can say when you're only paying $49 for a hotel room....expect "You get what you pay for!"

This hotel was a good location for my purposes, visiting family in Reston. It's about a 10-15 minute taxi ride from Dulles, which was very convenient. And, of course, the price is extremely low.

I had a less than pleasant stay, however. I called the day before arriving to request an early check-in as I would be getting there very early, around 6am (red-eye from Los Angeles). They said no problem, a room should be ready early. When the taxi let me out in front of the office, it was locked, curtains drawn, and no one was answering the "24-hour" office phone number listed outside. I waited, in the dark, by myself, for about 20 minutes before waking my sister and her newborn daughter who had checked in the night before and crashing in their room. Another guest came down to the office while I was waiting, also waiting to check out. No idea what happened there -- as I went to sleep in my sister's room and wound up checking in at a more typical hour later on.

When I got to my room, I was disappointed to see that the refrigerator had been left slightly open, therefore it was warm and unusable for a while.

I was only there one night. I saw and killed about 12-15 beatles in the bathroom, coming from seemingly nowhere onto the bathroom tile. Who knows how many I didn't see.

This hotel is pretty much the most sub-standard place I've stayed -- having just enough to get by but not at all willing to make your stay even close to "pleasant." Extremely basic amenities like towels, blankets, etc -- but even those look and feel like they are 20 years old. Towels are paper-thin, comforter is almost untouchable, everything feels a bit too dirty and a bit too worn to really ever try to try to feel comfortable,.

Granted, this is only a $49-a-night-place -- but still. You should know what you're getting.

Is it a place I would completely avoid in the future? Let's put it this way - i would spend weeks trying to find another alternative and would pay triple just for the sheer comfort in knowing i wouldn't wonder what bugs I missed that might be crawling on me at night. BUT, if there was no other option, i might be able to do it again. Just depends on where your comfort level is and what you can tolerate, I guess.

Upon checkout I told the guy behind the desk about the check-in experience, and the bugs, and the fridge. He said he would note it so that housekeeping takes care of it. I asked him if, in return, and instead of helping OTHER future guests and instead helping ME, he would not charge the $5 for wireless that I owed. He agreed.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank FlyMeToTheMoon
garland, tx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2007

How well you like this place will depend on your needs. It is an excellent location for the government agency that I was working at. It is within walking distance of some restaurants and sandwich shops. A Target with a Starbucks is right across the street. There is also an all night convenience store across the street.

I would probably stay there again except their broadband Internet was impossibly slow at times. If you like streaming media like i do, it wont do. I like to listen to internet radio. Some days it was almost OK other nights it was useless. I did not try their tech support line. May be that you could call and have the person sucking up the bandwith booted.

If you are staying for the kitchen like me, all I can say is that the refridgerator works. There was one bowl and one spoon. If you want a kitchen, make sure that the front desk will supply pots and pans if you need them before booking.

Last, the sheets did not fit very well in my room. As a person who does not sleep well in hotel rooms, it was annoying to wake up with the fitted sheet all tangled up underneath me. Again, I did not ask the front desk for assistance for this.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manager20190, Hotel Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston, responded to this review, April 14, 2009
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Reston. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We regard a consistent, dependable Internet experience as crucial for our guests, who are often staying with us for long periods of time while on business. That's why we have invested so much in a technology infrastructure that supports our guests' internet needs. Uploading and downloading documents across a VPN, emailing, and keeping up with friends on social networking websites are all tasks that our guests perform regularly. However, our networks are not designed to accommodate resource intensive tasks like transferring large video files. Although we can typically identify and limit users who are tying up network resources, an overall slowness can be experienced across the network before we are able to respond. I assure you that I take your comments very seriously, and that we will continue to invest in reliable wireless Internet access for our guests.

South Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

I recently stayed at the Homestead for a few days for business. It was OK, nothing to rave about, but nothing to complain about either.
Pros:
1. It had all the amenities I needed, including a refridgerator, microwave, hairdryer, and Internet access (not free, but only $5).
2. It was close to where I needed to go, and there were enough restaurants nearby to eat at.
3. It was clean.
Cons:
1. I thought the room was arranged in a strange way, with the bed very close to the door. The kitchenette was at the back, and you had to walk through it to the bathroom.
2. No desk, just a counter with stools, which was not very comfortable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room arrangement
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JLew_jersey
Elmhurst, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2004

Stayed here over the weekend. Got a great rate of under $44.00 from the hotels website. The room was very clean and comfortable. The only thing I noticed was a little mold in the bathtub. Lighting and the climate control worked great. There is a kitchen with major appliances. This is a limited service hotel catering to mostly extended stay business people, but on weekends, cater to leisure guests. There is no daily maid service, but you can go to the front office to get extra towels, linens, or kitchen condiments. It may be a little far from Washington, but even if you spend a few extra dollars on gas, you still save a bundle of what a Washington hotel would cost. The area is mostly commercial with many restaurants nearby.

15 Thank NY11373
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Reston. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. As you know, our unique suites are designed with you in mind. Offering amenities like a full refrigerator, stovetop, in-room wifi access, personalized voicemail, and on-premise laundry in exceptionally priced rooms has led us to be the premier extended stay option in the industry. And with guests like you, we will continue to thrive.

It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Also, know that any of our nearly 700 Extended Stay Hotels(sm) locations is eager to serve you in most major metro areas in the U.S. and in Canada. Search for them at any time by going to our website. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reston
Hyatt Regency Reston
Sheraton Reston Hotel
Westin Reston Heights
Hampton Inn & Suites Herndon-Reston
SpringHill Suites Herndon Reston
Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston? Share your experiences!