“Horrible!! Dirty and smelly!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Reston
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Horrible!! Dirty and smelly!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

We looked at reviews before we made our decision for a two-nite stay. It got mediocre reviews, but nothing bad. Seemed like a reasonably-priced, decent place to stay. And the other close-by options were all at least $40-50 more a night. And btw, remember to check the bed bug registry while you're looking at your options. The Hyatt Regency in Reston is listed with multiple reports of bed bugs. Anyway, we didn't have high expectations about the Homestead, but we figured it would be clean and inexpensive. Well, we got there, checked in and went to our room (access is from the outside). As soon as we opened the door, we were met with a really bad smell. Not just musty, but like something was decaying. I stood in the doorway as my husband walked further into the room. As he walked into the kitchen area, I saw a huge black bug scuttle across the floor behind him. I'm guessing it was a roach or a huge waterbug, but I didn't wait to find out. We immediately decided to leave. As my husband came towards me, he spotted another bug by the window. Needless to say, when the reservation desk attendant asked us if we wanted a different room, we said no way!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ButtonBarley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
NC mtns
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

We have stayed here before and once again I am very impressed with this gem of a hotel. If you are looking for glitz and ritz, go elsewhere - but for cleanliness, service, location, and value, this is the best around! Daniel manned the front desk with the smooth efficiency, warmth, and professionalism that we have come to expect from Manager Tilma Ramos' team. Just around the corner from the Reston Towne Center, it cannot be beat for convenience. The combination of a staff who truly cares for their guests and a great location makes this an outstanding value.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Toms River, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed for 1 week on business/training trip. Wasn't aware that you only get housekeeping service once a week. Very noisy day and night near the office. Office has an after-hours intercom that is very loud. Woke me up several times during the week. Sometimes multiple times a night. Reported to front desk...said they would report to management. Never heard from them again, won't go back.

Room Tip: If you stay...request a room as far away from the office as possible.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jimibananas
Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

Arrived at 11 pm. Front desk guy was helpful and efficient but when I arrived to the room I was very dissapointed. It felt old and dated. I was there by myself on a business trip and the moment I came in, I also felt like leaving. I was supposed to stay there for two nights but checked out after the first night and went to a nicer place, that has breakfast included too (important feature when on a business trip).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Monica078
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

I booked a room here on 1/9/11 on my way to training in Mclean, VA. It is close to the airport and in a great location. This was important because my plane arrived late. I didn't get to the hotel until well after midnight which didn't leave much time to sleep before work in the morning. The location is about the only positive.

First just a quick heads up. When you check in they'll ask if you want to pay a total of $4.95 which they specify is a one time charge for the entire stay. Not bad right? Wrong! When you actually log in you'll find they charge an additional $3/day for actual high speed internet. When most hotels offer free wifi these days it's surprising that guests put up with this questionably deceitful practice.

Then if your experience is like mine, you'll walk into a room that appears clean and well kept. I was actually a little relieved because after reading some of the reviews there had appeared to be a trend of uncleanliness. I put my stuff down and went to use the restroom. This is when I realized various hairs on the bathroom floor. Apparently there were a couple women(?) staying there before me, one with blond hair and one with black hair. This is when I realized that the toilet was broken and it took a solid 10 minutes before I figured out a way to make it work.

I retrieved my laptop and logged into the 'high speed' internet (that wasn't high speed) in order to get directions to my early morning meeting. This is when I discovered the trick I mention above.

Finally I got ready for bed. I flipped back the comforter and stared in complete disgust at the blanket between the comforter and the sheets because it was covered with black pubic hair. Absolutely disgusting!

Last but not least, the TV remote didn't have a working channel button and the sleep functions didn't work on either the remote or the TV itself.

My recommendation is to pay a little bit more for a better quality hotel. Homestead Suites has shown again and again that they don't believe in (and aren't able to maintain) a high standard of cleanliness. Read all the other reviews here and on google and don't make the mistake I did.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank FlyHerAway_com
RestonHSD, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Reston. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the cleanliness of your accommodation. First, please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Standard cleaning procedures include a thorough cleaning and disinfecting of kitchens and bathrooms. Additionally, prior to making any room available, we inspect it to ensure that our normal procedures have been followed. Given the account you described, there was clearly an unacceptable break down in our regular operations, so I have met with my staff to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one . I would also like to apologize regarding the wifi confusion. In order to provide faster high speed we offer additional bandwidh other than than the regular high speed for $ 4.99( per stay). I believe you may have looked into those options . These services are optional to our guests . We are sorry that this wasn't conveyed during your check in. I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future."
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

I made reservations through hotels.com. We checked into the hotel and hotel to have the worst night sleep ever. The mattress was inexcusable not something I would sleep on for 3 nights or extended period. I notified the front desk the next morning that we would be checking out early and they said to leave card key in the room with follow up call to them when we check out. When I get my credit card statement, I see I was charged the full three nights. Hotels.com states the hotel has no record of us checking out and the hotel states we were supposed to check out early thru hotels.com. This is why I refuse to use any of the online services anymore (specially expedia related companies), customer service and ethics doesn't appear in their mission statement. As for Homestead Suites, they showed their customer service side also. Maybe Homeland Security should check them out since they have no idea who is staying in their hotel at any given time

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
RestonHSD, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston, responded to this review, October 18, 2010

Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the bed in your suite. Please know how important your comfort is to us. We have chosen bedding that we think best fits our customers' needs, and we continue to look for new ways to satisfy everyone's sleeping preferences.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly . Regarding your refunds, We understand your frustrations. Expedia reservations are pre-paid reservations and any changes in your reservation will need to go through them. The hotel has no way of crediting your account as Hotels.com/Expedia are the agents that have charged your card for the number of nights you booked and not the hotel. I can understand the complications but you will need to call Expedia first. Unfortunately this is the only way to resolve your concerns. I am sure Expedia will look into this matter and advise the hotel accordingly. I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels brand location in the future.
NC mtns
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

I stayed at this hotel earlier this year and was very pleased. When I returned to the area this month, I made a reservation with the expectation of another good experience. I have to say that my expectations were exceeded. Tilda Ramos at the front desk is simply superb. She could literally work anywhere. She handles everything that comes her way effortlessly and with calm assurance. Each staff member with whom I came in contact was way above average in their desire to make our stay as pleasant as possible. There is much to be said for a hotel that hires, and retains, such an excellent staff.

The room was spotless and comfortable, and delightfully cool despite the intense heat outside. Everything worked perfectly and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I will definitely return whenever I come to Reston and would recommend this hotel to anyone who values a great staff and a great value.

• Stayed August 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reston
Hyatt Regency Reston
Sheraton Reston Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Herndon-Reston
Westin Reston Heights
SpringHill Suites Herndon Reston
Hyatt House Herndon
Hyatt House Herndon
#11 of 20 in Herndon

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston? Share your experiences!