“Goes way beyond a burger” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Herndon, Virginia
“Goes way beyond a burger”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Love this place! I'm not a huge burger person, so I didn't rush to this restaurant. When I finally relented and went with my son, I was amazed. First you select your meat - different sizes of beef, turkey and bison. You also choose between a bun or a bowl. Even the bowl has choices of different lettuce beds. Then you start dressing things up: different cheeses, loads of other toppings, and a vast array of sauces. One of my favorite parts is the fries on the side. You can get regular yummy fries or sweet potatoe fries. You can order a fifty-fifty if you can't decide! There is a full bar, and take-out orders can be placed online. Hmmm...writing this has given me a craving...

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars

Arroyo Grande, California
“The REAL Burger King”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and I visited The Counter in Marina Del Rey, CA, and had an awesome and delicious experience there. Chains sometimes have inconsistent food or service delivery, especially as they expand with retail success. This is not the case with The Counter in Reston, VA. The food and the service were as good there as on the Left Coast.

We were seated immediately and asked for our drinks order after being given our menus. The ice tea served at this restaurant is excellent and doesn't appear to be from a mix. The format for these restaurants is a clipboard for individual orders for menu items. The guests choose everything from the type of protein they want (e.g., beef, chicken, lamb, vegetarian, etc), to the four topping for a standard order, type of bread and any other seasonings to make a perfect casual meal. Portions can be specified and include 1/3-pound, 2/3-pound and full-pound patties.

The french fries are of the shoestring type and they are excellent; my wife and I shared a standard order, which was served between the arrival of the drinks and the main course. We both ordered our beef prepared "medium" and we were grateful not to get a lecture about the dangers of consuming red meat or have to sign a liability release form from some lawyer who was worried about corporate survivability in case of some sickness attributable to undercooked meat. Our burgers were both cooked to perfection.

The Counter staff came by our table on a very regular basis to see how the meal was going and to see if there was anything they could do to improve our experience. Other than some more ice tea, we made no demands on anyone coming by the table.

This is an outstanding place to have a delicious casual dinner. It won't disappoint!

• Visited April 2013
Herndon, Virginia
“Great but busy place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Dinner on a Saturday night is always packed, but definately worth the wait. The tuna burger wasn't what i was expecting, though my husband liked it. Their regular burgers are awesome but the best part of the entire experience - they have THE best sweet potato fries i've ever had. The dipping sauce that comes with it is addictive. Worth it to go just for the fries as an afternoon snack!

• Visited February 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“excellent toppings/burgers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Kids have fun checking off with a pencil their own big list of toppings...burgers are yummy...also love the bison burger and veggie burger; full bar; small place so tables fill up quickly

• Visited March 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
“absolutely the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

It's hard to get a seat quickly at The Counter because it truly is great food.
We waited about 30 minutes, and it was well worth the wait. My friend ordered their special lamb burger, and I ordered the plain lamb burger because I wanted to taste every bit of the lamb....and it was cooked the way I wanted it...rare.
The other folks at the table had the parmesan fries and they were fantastic. My friend and I got the 50/50 fries and sweet potato fries and they were good even AFTER they cooled off!
I had absolutely one of the best lamb burgers ever, and it's worth another trip back!
You gotta go there...you will NOT be disappointed!

• Visited March 2013