“Fish and Chips”

Ranked #1 of 154 Restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A nostalgic nod to mid century Americana and comfort food classics and some unexpected twists (a la sushi) in an upbeat 1940's dinner house.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I'm here for training and went here for dinner. I'm dining solo so I sat at the bar.

There are a couple bartenders (one male and one female). The male bartender, Ben, was very good. Quick to get you drinks and is very personable. Yes, I am a female dining alone, but he was consistently friendly to all his customers, males, females, couples, friends, etc. The female bartender was not as good. She catered to the males dressed in suits, clearly people there who did not care how much money they dropped since it was going on their corporate American Express cards. She must've spent at least 10 minutes doing card tricks with a couple of guys while the other bartender busted his butt to serve all the customers. I had to tell her I was ready to order because she did not pay anyone else any attention...mind you, I was sitting right next to the two guys she was doing card tricks with so I'm sure she saw me sitting there with my menu closed and ready to order.

As far as the food and drinks go...it was very good. They have 6 beers on tap and 3 are microbrews from local breweries. Beers were about $5.50- $6 each, this seems typical for this area. I got the Grouper Fingers, their version of fish and chips. It was very good. The fish was battered in their local beer and not just frozen out of a box. The fries were cut fresh and the coleslaw was homemade. It was a generous portion and for $16 it was a good deal.

The clientele was a little too hoity-toity for me, but I think that is because of the area. I'm from Parkville, MD and though I work in IT for the corporate world, neighborhood bars and restaurants are more my speed...people talking about real things, not just about the weather and what fundraiser they are working on. If I wasn't by myself, I'd venture out of this area a little and try to find that local place

Reviewed October 22, 2013

A large busy place with a good menu for lunch. We were in a party of four with a stroller (push chair). No problem. Service was Ok but a bit loose at the end. Fodo was good for lunch.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were quickly seated and made to feel comfortable right away. our server stopped by to say hi and go over the specials. The staff was always friendly and accomodating, but not pushy. The menu had a variety of foods, so much so the the fussiest of eaters could find something. The portions were nice, the food was hot, and the food was very tasty. The food being hot is a plus because in most restaurants the food is just warm, and quickly cools off. Nothing fancy about the drinks, as we had wine and a beer. Nice selection though. Would definitely go back again.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Food was very good. I had the filet and it was tasty. The menu had some interesting and delicious looking choices. The specialty drinks were very refreshing. The staff was very friendly and accomodating with the exception of our request for seperate checks. My dinner partner was on business and needed to have a seperate receipt for expenses. At first the waiter said they couldn't do seperate checks but, stated he would ask. When he came back to the table he told us he would do it but, for future reference they would not be able to accomodate us. Such a hassle over such a small request. It did put a damper on an otherwise pleasurable experience.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

A nice option in Reston Town Center if you are looking for an upscale pub and wan t a change from Clyde's. A broad menu with nice selections in the salads and mains as well as a good beer and wine selection. Enjoy the happy hour on the terrace in nice weather. Nothing special but good and reliable.