“No Nigiri!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of PassionFish

PassionFish
Reserve with OpenTable
PassionFish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 147 Restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Sushi
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Explorer Street
Stuttgart, Germany
“No Nigiri!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

You can order nigiri sushi off-menu at the Passion Fish and for the last several years we never had an issue. Unfortunately, on Saturday there was no nigiri offered. Very sad. My wife had crab instead.Still very good.

Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Alexandria, Virginia
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stone crab season!! Need I say more? Great size, excellent dipping sauce - expertly cracked...so I don't have to do it.

Started at the bar for the amazingly affordable Happy Hour. $5 fresh tuna tacos and crab nachos and cold Corona Light. Seriously, this is the best and freshest seafood restaurant around.

Group of four. After enjoying HH, we were taken to our table. our server navigated the fresh fish menu and described the specials - difficult decision.

We all had sushi, soup (Butternut Squash is outstanding), sides & wine. Their sushi is fantastic. Mac & Cheese because we hadn't loaded up on carbs enough.

We saw at least five of the "Big Daddy" seafood towers going out to tables around us. I think I saw one diner's eyes roll back in his head as he was eating.

The restaurant was packed - both levels. The bar was busy from the time we arrived at 5:30 and left at 8 pm. Look forward to returning and trying the Red Thai Curry Lobster Claypot.

We were too full for dessert (remember..the mac & Cheese?) but had coffee drinks. So nice of the management to send out an assortment of bite size desserts brought to our table. How many other restaurants have this touch? I can't think of many that do this - it is a very generous offering and speaks very highly of this restaurant and owners.

Northern Virginia
“Much Improved over the Past Year”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Three of us had Sunday dinner there around the holidays. Sundays, in case you are a wine drinker (we are), is half-price night. Most bottles on the menu are down to a reasonable markup, making it possible to have a really nice bottle of wine without taking out a second on the house or telling the kids they will be going to a community college.

Surf & turf was splendid. A decent sized lobster tail with a surprisingly large NY strip. Normally, I am not a big fan of strip steaks, but this one was very tasty, tender and done perfectly. Service was very good, as well.

A prior visit some time ago was only OK. This one showed that someone has been paying more attention lately, and the results show.

Huntington, West Virginia
“Just OK. 2.5”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I'm particular..fine out a lot.. Wine guy..foodie ... Ok... Eaten at DC coast a few times.. Loved it years back..now slipped. So give Jeff a chance in the burbs.. Front of house... Typical snobby greeters .... Efficient, but cold. Bartender nice and jovial... Good Old fashion. Dinner for 7.. Waitress was swell.. Good head. Wine list... Average and overpriced asked to speak to wine guy...he was having dinner with his family...ok...holiday week so all good... Advertised a large volume bottle, we had a large group ... Claimed they didn't have it... Ok... Waitress said wine guy,,having dinner with his family at a table across the restaurant , waitress says he recommends us to try x..just as good. it was clearly a price comparison, not an accommodation tomthevstyle of wine... .. OK... The Big bottle was $100. For a 1.5. His same thing recommendation, which want even in the same universe style wise was $70 for a small bottle 750 ... His recommended wine was listed as Alexander valley... Not what's poured... What poured is retail 20 bux, selling for 70... Ok... I'm all in at this point ... No more options, but feeling fleeced. With large group pI don't want to make waves... I suck it up.. Never see the wine guy, he never shows up... Apps..sushi, decent and fair priced..fresh... Dinner.. Many different dishes...most fine...nothing great, but Ok... I order the Dover sole special.. Love Dover sole, delicate dish... Most times barely cooked, light as a feather in most premium restaurants... Not tonight at Passion... Nice presentation, on bed of truffle mashed potatoes.. Slivers of sole on top...COOKED like BACON...actually looked like bacon curled up, dry, well done and way over cooked. A waste of a beautiful fish and this was the special? Couldn't eat it...tried some of the swordfish on the table that was moist and cooked perfect but was a strong fish odor... A little scary... Couple of folks got the Ciapinno... Nice broth but many of the shell fish didn't open... Large portions, but again a bit nervous. Never received any bread on the table...so not sure if they serve it or what . I had a nice salad of beets and cheese..well done... But overall a very average dining experience .... Won't rush back, and candidly all of his places are becoming pedestrian ...

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Manassas, Virginia
“great service, okay food- in all not worth the price”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

My husband and I went to Passion Fish last night. The service and atmosphere were great, but the food was not that good for the price.
Im going to rate each food that we got:

- Their bread : 0 out of 10 : Seriously, It was completely tasteless and bland. It tasted like it was a re-heated from the oven to make it warm and crispy; but 5 minutes later, it became hard like a rock. I was so disappointed because I was looking forward to trying their bread. I expected it to taste really good.

- Their Simple Green Salad($6): another 0 out of 10: I ordered the vinaigrette dressing. It just tasted like mustard--Our Waiter gladly exchanged it for the ranch dressing, but again, it was so bland. I didn't touch it. The dressings at Cracker Barrel taste so much better.

- Their Captain Crunch Roll ($14) : 9 out of 10 : It was very good, melted in my mouth. Though ut was a bit expensive, it was delicious so I can't complain.

- Lobster Pot ($45): 6 out of 10: It was okay--definitely not exceptional and not worth the price. Its basically Panang sauce with Lobster meat and pineapple. You can get it from a good Thai Place for half the price. The portion was small.

- Risotto with Scallops ($32) : 2 out of 10: This was my husband's meal. I tried a bit but it tasted bland. He was not impressed as well.The risotto just tasted like cheese--and the scallops were tasteless. Again, the portion was small.

- The Warm Donuts ($8) 4 pieces: 5 out of 10: It was not bad, but just as good as Donkin Donuts's.

So my husband and I had an overall okay experience at Passion Fish, but the quality of the food did not meet our expectations. It was not worth the price we paid for. I personally don't mind if I dont go back.

• 1 of 5 bubbles