“Our Favorite Upscale Place in Reston”
Review of PassionFish

PassionFish
Reserve with OpenTable
PassionFish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 155 Restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Explorer Street
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Our whole gang loves Passion Fish. Between our extended family/friends of 10 we have tried most of the items on the menu. I had the Crab Cakes Saturday night. Excellent! The drinks are a little pricy but fun and very refreshing.
I would suggest sitting at the bar for a meal of Sushi and tall cool drinks. Capt Crunch Sushi and the other Sushi dishes are soooo good!
But the better part of Passion Fish is the staff. Ryan the GM is very gracious. His crew is very attentive. The best seat in the house is the little round top at the right at the top of the stairs. Romantic!!
Overall a fun place to go for interesting food and consistent good service. As a fellow restaurant operator in Reston I appreciate the hard work it takes to provide exceptional service.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We love this restaurant. The food is fresh and inventive. The atmosphere is stylish with professional servers anticipating your needs. We appreciate that few parents bring their children, so we can enjoy an evening truly away from it all.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

I've been going to Passionfish for many years and have always been a fan of their food. I was surprised to see Tom Sietsema of the Washington Post give them a one star rating. http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/restaurants/passionfish,1154055/critic-review.html#reviewNum1 I've never had a bad meal at Passionfish though I'm usually there for business lunches. It is extremely pricey at dinner but is always packed. There isn't much good seafood and fish fare to be had in suburban Virginia. I've always found the hosts to be rather distant and high handed, though the wait staff is earnest and knowledgeable. A number of us came in at an off time (2:30 PM) and were not allowed to sit outside on a beautiful spring day. We were ignored by the bartender for a full 5 minutes while he talked to the only other two patrons at an otherwise empty bar. Oh well - we marched ourselves over to Mon Ami Gabi next door who invited us and many others to sit outside where we enjoyed two bottles of French wine and nice appetizers. Passionfish needs to get over itself.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

The crab gazpacho was amazing. Could've ordered about three servings and been completely satisfied. Outside seating was worth waiting for, the weather was perfect too.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I hate to say this about a place I've rated so highly before. But two dinners there within a week have caused me to change my mind; right now I have no desire to return. Passion Fish is one of the few slightly elegant places in this area, and they have now become too full of themselves for their own good. It seems impossible to look at the menu and make a decision before the servers provide an uninvited warp-speed description of everything. PassionFish used to start the meal with delicious crostini and herbed butter. No more. Apparently some people complained the crostini were too hard (just like they are supposed to be), so the chef came up with some wholewheat thins that have the flavor of baked paper towels. They are so bad, one has to add salt to the herbed butter. The menu choices have remained essentially constant except for the particular fresh fish of the day--plus the chef's specials. I should have stuck with their fantastic corn and crab chowder, but I'd wanted to try something new; I was wrong. Their sushi appetizers range from $13 to $15 for one roll, and almost every roll has something spicy in it; they are beautiful, but to me, they are virtually inedible because of the spiciness. For entrees we had the "tower of crab," a soft shell crab topped with a crab cake. The soft shell was breaded way too much before frying. (Why they didn't saute it in lemon butter I will never know.) The crab cake had so many spices added it would have been difficult to tell it were crab if you had your eyes shut and were playing a guessing game.

2  Thank KenCookie