“Didn't feel like a Hyatt”

Hyatt Regency Reston
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Reston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I was excited for my trip to Reston - especially to be able to stay at a Hyatt My previous Hyatt stays were luxurious and the rooms impressive.
I would classify this hotel the same as a full service older Marriott. Carpeting peeling, stains on bathroom ceiling, dents/paint missing off of the furniture. I guess my expectations were too high. I did get room service one night and my rare hamburger arrived cooked to a char. The salad that I also ordered was just so-so.
The location of this hotel can't be beat! Easy to get around with retail within walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,537)

Reviewed January 1, 2009

I'm glad some other reviewers had a good experience at this hotel, but my husband and I found the service to be poor, although the room was lovely and very comfortable. Our booking included breakfast and access to the gym, but the clerk either did not see that aspect of our booking or chose to ignore it as we had to 'convince' her of what our booking included. After getting our names and swiping the card (which was all she wanted to do), and finally acknowledging our other perks, we had to ask "Where is the gym? What are the hours? (I know it's in the room guide, but still, this was a pricey Hyatt Regency booking here). Do we need coupons or vouchers for breakfast? Yes? Well, where are they???" I came here from Japan where the level of service is so high you never have to ask those questions. And for 265$ a night in crappy Reston? I shouldn't have had to ask. She finally handed over the coupons for breakfast.

At b-fast next morning, we handed over the coupon and were told "the buffet is over there." While we were eating, a staffer comes to our table and says, "we have to charge you for those scrambled eggs. They are not included in your breakfast." The fine print on the coupon said our breakfast is "continental," (no further explanation) which according to the staffer meant "no hot food." The staffer agreed not to charge us that time. So we made due with their crappy continental breakfast.

Then we needed to extend our stay (this was not a vacation for us). My husband went to the front desk, and the clerk said they were booked solid. We checked online and there were plenty of openings and we extended our stay. This is not the clerk's fault, but Hyatt management's fault. If someone is standing inside the hotel speaking to the clerk, then that person should get the definitive word on whether or not a room can be booked.

Hyatt needs to shape up.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hikari
Reviewed December 16, 2008

With its large and comfortable bedrooms and excellent breakfast buffet, this proved a good choice for a business trip and was only 5 minutes walk from nearby offices.
Things to watch out for: the breakfast buffet does not tend to start until about 15 minutes after the advertised time; the staff at breakfast will try to seat you at a table of their choice (to spread the load, or the tips, amongst the servers) but you can make it clear where you want to sit; the hotel pool is open only very limited hours.
Good location: wide choice of restaurants within 5 minutes walk; 24 hour supermarket and discount computer superstore within 10 minutes walk; bus to the subway station also runs nearby although the combination of bus and train makes it a fair hike into DC.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank mjk43
Reviewed December 1, 2008

I stayed in the Hyatt recently and unfortunately did not get to spend much time there due to flight delays. But upon arrival the hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

The room was very large and we had great views of the town center from our room on the 11th floor. The bed was comfortable, we had a lot of channels on the tv, the room was clean. We even had lotion and conditioner in the room which is something I always appreciate!

The only complaint I had was that there was no water in the drink machine in the hall, just soda. There was bottled water in the room for $5 of course.

We had breakfast in Panera, conveniently located in the lobby and we watched ice skaters while we ate. There was a beautiful gingerbread house display in the lobby too.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emmaline
Reviewed November 20, 2008

I was blessed to win weekend accomodations and entry to a conference being held at the Hyatt in Reston, VA. My reservation was pre paid, and all I had to do was provide a credit card for any additional charges and I was off. I was promptly given printed directions when I asked about a local eatery and was even asked if I enjoyed my meal later in the evening as I crossed the lobby. The environment was very friendly, and the establishment was beautiful and grand. The room was huge, and my husband liked the fact that the television tilted so you could see it from any angle. I enjoyed my stay, and would definately stay again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank NellsMOM
Reviewed September 29, 2008

Just returned from a 3 night stay because of a friend's wedding reception being held at this hotel. I can't say enough nice things about the hotel. The ambience, the rooms, the staff, the restaurants, the location - all wonderful. It is in a very safe neighborhood, clothing stores, movie theatres within a block.
Great place for a woman traveling alone.

I drove to the Metro Station in Falls Church, VA to explore DC, but there is a bus (505 connector) that goes from the hotel area to the Metro for DC touring.

We got a discount because of the wedding ($119.00/night) which was a deal and well worth the money. The Hyatt is one of my favorite hotel chains. They do a marvelous job.

By the way, parking is free in a garage. You won't be disappointed in this great hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Travity
Reviewed August 25, 2008

I enjoyed a recent stay at this hotel. The desk clerk at check in was friendly and accommodating. Usually, when you book a hotel through a blind bid, you get what you get, but this desk clerk ran through a laundry list of options and gave me all of my preferences. The room was plush and comfortable with everything working as it should. The wireless access cost extra at this hotel, but there were a couple of free networks from nearby businesses in the air that were adequate for an email check, plus a Paneras in the lobby. The tap worked fine, which made it easy to ignore the overpriced water bottles that were set up in the room. The health club was well maintained with top of the line equipment. The indoor pool was clean, but it featured some short hours and was therefore a little less useful than it could have been. Sunday brunch looked appetizing, but the overflow crowd was set up in the lobby between the elevators and the desk, which made leaving an adventure of near misses. Overall, I had an outstanding stay and I’d return.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank MikeBHR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reston
Westin Reston Heights
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston
Hyatt House Herndon
Hyatt House Herndon
#8 of 20 in Herndon

Been to Hyatt Regency Reston? Share your experiences!