“A newyear I regret spending with Hyatt”

Hyatt Regency Reston
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Reston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 2, 2013

First of all don’t ever get a New years package here ever. It's not worth it for the price. Not to mention you will be charged with weird charges that don’t make sense.
I don’t know where or when they got the four star rating , but it's not current at the moment. They get a four star for charges. They charge for internet, Valet and Parking when its free around the corner. The rooms are starting to show their age. The I home radio didn’t work , the bed was horrible, stiff and not comfortable. I slept in better beds at 2 star hotels. The TV in bathroom is a nice touch. The shower knob required me to use two hands and a multi vitamin.
The in room safe is nice for valuables. Surprised they didn’t charge for that. The dinner is the best at the market st grill , the staff there were wonderful. The dinner menu was acceptable and delicious. But in the morning wow !!! Night and day literally. The breakfast was horrible. The setup was mediocre. One toaster and a slow one at that . Omelet and french toast took forever i could have walk to McDonald and ordered a biscuit and still be waiting. I had better tasting food in the space program. I was looking around for scientist to come out with clip boards. I felt like the sausage was rubber as well as the potatoes. french toast tasted like fake toast with syrup. better to skip the breakfast. Two tone door knobs in the room rusting door hinges and misc charges. I had high expectations , I was let down. The entertainment was small but good. I had to go leaps and bounds to see and hear them. It was to Crowded and to congested to dance. I certainly didn’t get my moneys worth with the package and the room. I cant recommend the new years package, but the staff for the most part was great and accommodating for the most part. The theme of the room and the decorations were a bit dated as well . The paintings and pictures on the walls were pointless and had no meaning or depth. Plus to top it all off at the end I started off my new year with being double charged on my card and misc charges on my bill. The package indicated $300.00 all inclusive. Which means when your dealing with Hyatt Regency Reston your paying $615.32 . You do the math , if you can pay with cash and a prepaid card you may survive. There math is way up there and they or I cant justify it. Spend your hard earned somewhere where you can justify the cost. Pictures
included and you be the judge. Happy travels to all fellow travelers !!!

Room Tip: Dont choose any at all , Go else where .
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TIMEX2020
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear TIMEX2020,

Please accept my most sincere regret over your poor experience. The service and issues you describe are not consistent with the outstanding service that hundreds of guests enjoy at our property daily.

Rest assured that your feedback will be shared with our Managing Committe.

Nevertheless, thank you for your business. It is my hope that you visit us again. I am confident that your experience would be different.

Ray

Write a ReviewReviews (1,536)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here in July for a meeting. It was very nice, the bed was comfy, and it was great with having restaurants and shopping so close by. Breakfast was average. I thought the staff was great. Had several problems with my flight coming in extremely late and they were quick and gave me a larger room and then my flight home was cancelled and they were able to add another day without a problem even though there was a large group checking in. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Audiogrl,

Thank you for your favorable review and candid feedback. Please accept my regret over your breakfast experience. Your feedback will be shared with our culinary team as we always strive to exceed every guest's expectations.

Glad that overall, you did enjoy your stay...especially after being stranded dat the airport!

On behalf of our staff, thank you for choosing Hyatt. Please come back & vsist us.

Regards,

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed here for a business trip for one night. Upon checking my credit card statement, I noticed a 50 dollar charge ...called the hotel, they said it was for having a pet in the room. Now, one thing I dont own any pets. Second, I would nto bring a pet to a business trip. The person I spoke with should have gotten a manager on the phone immediately to resolve this. Instead, they have to check into it blah blah blah, and get back to me. this is not acceptable. The hotel management needs a course in customer relationship management and business ethics.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank monal_m_patel
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear monal_m_patel,

Thanks you for your business and for taking the time to review our property. And please accept my regret over your regrettable experience over a charge for a pet you do not own.

Please advise if this has not been taken care of.

Hopefully you will choose us again when visiting the area in the future.

Regards and best wishes for 2013.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel is a 4-star hotel and the rates are not cheap. Nevertheless, they still charge you for wi-fi and it isn't cheap. Furthermore, the wi-fi speed is around 1.5 Mbps unless you pay even more for the "premium" service which only affords you speeds of 3.5Mbps. These speeds are incredibly slow and are insufficient for any teleconferencing you might need to do from the hotel. When I stay at the Hampton, clearly NOT a 4-star hotel, the speeds are usually around 10-12 Mbps! The staff was NOT knowledgeable when it came to questions about the wi-fi but clearly they need to either update their bandwidth or at least give the wi-fi for free. Further, the staff was not overly-friendly nor service oriented.

Lastly, the toilet in my room didn't work correctly from the moment I got in my room. The water in it just ran and ran, them on the second night the flushing handle broke off.

I give it a 3 out of 5 stars overall and that's mostly due to the good location.

• Stayed: December 2012
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear H C,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I regret to hear that your expectations were not met. The issue with the running toilet is inexcusable. I am terribly sorry.

Glad that our location served you well.

Rest assured your feedback on our internet service will be shared with our seniore management.

Many other guests have enjoyed a much better experience. I truly hope you visit us again in the future.

Best regards and wisehs for a happy holiday season,

Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is the 3rd year we have stayed here with a group of friends to tour the local wineries. This is the first year we were disappointed due to a few things.

First- we brought food back and decided to eat in the lobby so we could all be together. We were told by security we weren't allowed to bring outside food in. When we showed him we were guests of the hotel, he didn't care. We were given 5 minutes to eat and leave. I would understand this if they needed the tables for people who were visiting the bar, but the bar was closed and no one needed the tables.

Second- we left at 10am in the morning to tour wineries and came back at 6:30pm and our room was not serviced. We did not put the door hanger on indicating we didn't want service so it should have been done. As we were walking in a maid approached us and said she didn't get to it yet. At that point we just wanted to relax in our room after a long day. She did give us fresh towels...but come on! It was 6:30pm!

Another thing that sucks is that they now charge for parking if you are a hotel guest.

Also, the bar in the hotel lobby has rude bartenders. Not once did the bartender come to our table to ask us if we needed anything but he did approach the other tables. We had to keep going to the bar to order our drinks. Extremely rude!

After 3 years, we probably won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Lizzers120,

Please accept our most sincere apology for the poor service you experienced during your recent stay.

Just to clarify a few points: Yes, for various reasons, paid parking was implemented in May 2012 for parking in the hotel ramp. As an alternative, there are over 5,000 free parking spots elsewhere in Retson Town Center.

Also, we discourage bringing "outside food" to eat in our public areas (ok in guest rooms). As a business that provides food, you may understand this.

This said, there is no excuse for your room not being clean on time, nor for the rude service you described from our security staff or bar. This is inconsistent with how we treat our guests. For that, I am truly sorry.

It is my sincere ho[pe that you do decide to stay with us in the future.

Best wishes for the holidays and a prosperous 2013.

Regards,

Reviewed December 7, 2012

The point of a business trip is to conduct business. I've visited the Hyatt Regency several times over the last few years, and the thing I really like about this hotel is, it lets you get right down to business.

The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed. On my most recent visit, my room on a high floor offered a surprisingly interesting view of the commercial center of Reston. Room amenities were fine, although not exceptional. The bed was comfortable. Everything seemed very clean. I appreciated the extra electrical outlets built into the frame of the desk--a subtle touch that provided plenty of power for recharging those indispensable electronic devices.

The meeting rooms of the hotel are organized around a pleasing and airy atrium. The arrangement helps to relieve tedium when moving from one meeting to the next. Catering was efficient and pleasant; meals are above average for large meetings.

The ground floor restaurant, Market Street, is surprisingly good. There is sufficient space around the tables to promote quiet business discussion, and the wait staff is right there when you need them. The hotel's front desk staffers are also cheerful and efficient.

The Hyatt Regency is not particularly convenient if you are traveling to and from Washington--the city is a 45 minute cab ride away, and it will cost you about $75 each way. However, once you arrive, you will enjoy the environment of a hotel that truly understands how to help businesspeople get down to business.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank John S
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear John S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your favorable review of our hotel. Seems like the hotel has served you well. We do appreciate your business.

Not sure you are aware that the metro silver line will extend to Wiehle Avenue, Reston in Q4 2013. This will boost our location's access to downtown Washington.

Warm regards and best wishes for the happiest of holidays.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed here 4 nights for business, and thought it was a very good hotel. Check-in and check-out were completely painless. The room was spacious and clean and quiet. The TV was broken when I got to the room, and after a day of complaining, they came and replaced it. Too bad it took so long, but they sent up a couple bottles of wine and snacks to make up for the delay, so I end up feeling OK about it. The breakfast is pricey ($22), but a decent buffet. The internet (Premium, $15/day) is also pricey. They have a businessmen's special for $20/night including breakfast and internet which is a much better deal.
The area is good for a moderate stay: there are a dozen restaurants in walking distance, shops and a movie theatre, plus a nice Air and Space Museum near Dulles (take the free hotel shuttle back to Dulles, then catch the Musem bus for 50 cents).

Room Tip: Higher floors were quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear PeterBSanFrancisco,

A thousand thanks for your detailed and favorable review of your stay at our hotel. Sorry to hear that a few experience items did not meet your expectation. It is our goal that all of our guests are very satisfied with their stay.

Your business is much appreciated. We hope you choose us when traveling again to the area.

Regards and happy holidays,
Ray

Also consider these accommodations in or near Reston
Westin Reston Heights
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston
Hyatt House Herndon
Hyatt House Herndon
#8 of 20 in Herndon

Been to Hyatt Regency Reston? Share your experiences!