“Nice hotel but could be better”

Hyatt Regency Reston
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Reston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia
“Nice hotel but could be better”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stayed two nights at the Hyatt while attending a family wedding. The hotel and grounds are very well maintained and the Reston Town Center is very convenient. I agree with others who reviewed this hotel that it caters to the business traveler. There really seems to be no reason this day and age to not have free Wifi in a hotel room...especially with as upscale as this hotel is. Also, this hotel only seems to offer king beds or 2 double beds. There are four of us in our family (2 teen boys) and the beds were SO small! The rooms are large and had plenty of room to house 2 queen beds. Once again, with the hotel being on the upscale side, we were surprised by this. They would not allow a rollaway bed due to fire codes.

We were given a handicap room (none of us handicap) and I felt we should have been asked if this was okay upon check in. There was no vanity in the bathroom and no place to put bathroom essentials except the floor. We couldn't really place things on the floor because the shower was wheelchair accessible and water went all over the floor when showering. It would have been nice to have known this before checking in or at least given the option.

Not sure if we will stay here again. It is a GREAT location and has potential but some things could be made better for the class of hotel it is.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
HyattRegencyReston, Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear momof2inva,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve our service. I am sorry to hear that beds in your room were not adequate to keep your family comfortable. Unfortuately Hyatt's standard room configurations only provide 1 king bed or 2 double beds per room, so queen beds are not available. Although our rooms are spacious, we do have to allow enough space to exit in case of a fire emergency, which is why rollaways aren't permitted in double rooms. I do appologize that you were not notified of your placement in an ADA room upon check-in. Be assured, I have followed up with the Front Desk staff to ensure this does not happen again. I truly hope you will allow us another opportunity to be of service to you so that we can surpass your expectations!

Michael, Assistant Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed October 16, 2011

First the positives:
Fantastic Location with ample choices for dining all within walking distance; movie theater; shopping, etc.
Very nice rooms with upscale bathroom soaps, etc.
Professional staff - pleasant, but formal
We would stay here again - definitely

Now the negatives:
This is a business hotel and they really do not cater to vacation travelers. No free WIFI, no minibar, no breakfast - not even a continental one or coffee. I think the free WIFI and coffee in the lobby now are standard for even upscale hotels like the Hyatt. I would think they would offer a little something to weekend guests. After all we do fill rooms when the business travelers are no longer in town.

Once again - yes, we would stay here again, but if you are an ordinary traveler just be aware of what the Hyatt offers the ordinary folks.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattRegencyReston, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear 26West,

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the time you have taken to leave a review. Our location in Reston Town Center makes us a favorite spot for many vacationers such as yourself. Although internet isn't free in the guestrooms, we do have an area next to the front desk where guests can access the internet free of charge. Additionally, should your travel plans bring you back to Reston, we do offer several packages that do include breakfast, among other amenities to suit your needs. We hope to see you again.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed for 2 weekend nights in May. So many plusses to say about this place, it exceeded our expectations. Clean, classy, modern, comfortable beds, convenient, no downside for us.
What we liked
1. Our AAA special with a King Bed included breakfast (this was a real plus as we got a superb breakfast buffet for a fraction of what you would pay for it a la carte).
2. Shopping and Restaurants right outside at the Reston Town Centre, lots of choices for dinner, or lunch, and upscale shopping too, all within a leisurely stroll.
3. Free Parking, always a plus in the Washington D.C. area.
4. Beside the bike path, which was great for us because we went cycling both days and it was right outside the door.
5. Comfortable bed, well appointed room, quiet, classy, we got a great night's sleep, and isn't that what it is all about!?
6. Free interenet, again a plus as you pay at many D.C. area hotels.
7. Excellent front desk staff, respectful, efficient.
8. Great value for the money, we got a 4 star hotel and room, including our breakfast for under $120 a day in D.C. area (the breakfast alone may have cost us $30 or more if bought seperately.
9. No hassles, no fuss, convenient and comfortable, no problems means a more relaxing stay and enjoyable time while travelling, always a plus!
10. With lots of hotel options in and around D.C. area I would definitely stay here again, and it really is 4 star quality, I would even give it 4 1/2 stars.
What we didn't like
Can't think of anything to put here, that says a lot.
I recommended this hotel to a couple who were coming to D.C. on a weekend pleasure trip, and they loved it too!

Room Tip: We book AAA and got a rate that included breakfast, it was on the weekend, so may have been promotio...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattRegencyReston, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear Bleuemoon2,

Wow! We are so excited to hear that you had an exceptional stay and that you speak highly of us by referring friends to stay with us as well. Thank you!! We truly appreciate the time you have taken to provide such a thorough review, with great recommendations for our future guests and accolades to our staff. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the Washington, DC area!

Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This hotel adjoins the mall where there are many restaurants and bars to choose from. The staff was very friendly and my room was clean. Taxis are always out front so you won't have to wait for a cab.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear saber45,

Thank you for posting your review! We're excited to hear you found us to be "the Best." We truly hope to see you again soon!

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 7, 2011

This Hyatt doesn't provide many special amenities - breakfast is not included unless you have achieved Diamond status in its rewards program, rooms do not have refrigerators, there is no free internet, shuttles to the airport are just once an hour, etc. That is a let-down.

However, this hotel did handle the basics well - my room was clean, the lobby was inviting, the bed was comfortable, and maps of the shopping area were available at the front desk.

The location is great in the sense that a taxi ride to/from the airport is fairly inexpensive (less than $25 with tip) and it is in an upscale shopping center with abundant dining and shopping options.

Would I stay here again? Probably not - too darn expensive.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank DavenGVAR
Dear DavenGVAR,

I apprecite you taking time to review your recent stay with us and am happy that you found your room to be comfortable and our location convenient. I am sorry to hear you weren't able to take advantage of the complimentary airport shuttle and found the schedule inconvenient. We are also disspointed to hear that you wouldn't consider staying with us again. Our Business Plan accommodations do include items such as breakfast and internet for our business guests, and we frequently offer weekend specials and packages as well. I hope you will reconsider should your travels bring you back to Northern Virginia.

Arlington, VA
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Just stayed at the hotel last week on a business trip and pretty much have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. There is easy complimentary parking in the attached lot or you can valet park for a minimal fee. After parking myself in the lot, I boarded the elevator down to the lobby. And that is the small problem I had. The elevator is dirty and makes a very bad first impression which is too bad because the hotel itself is in great shape. Once in the lobby I tried to check in early and at first they didn't have a room available but they made every effort to get me one. They told me to go ahead and have a seat while they worked on it and very soon they came over and asked me for my credit card and I was in. Not only that but the foam pillows I asked for were in my room when I got in. Yay! The hotel itself is very well kept up, has a nice restaurant in the lobby and also a Panera Bread in case you want something casual and inexpensive. And, it is centrally located in the Reston Town Center with plenty of shops & restaurants in walking distance. You could stay for a week and not touch your car! The sleeping rooms were clean, well maintained and well stocked with nice amenities. No noise problems, no plumbing problems, just a really good solid hotel room. The meeting space was great too. Everything was located on the 2nd floor so there's no running around looking for where you need to be next. And though I didn't have many meals in the hotel restaurants I did eat mostly banquet food. Now typically banquet food is pretty boring but this was really good. At various events we had healthy salads, good hot breakfast buffets, sumptuious stations with sushi, beef, turkey, lasagna, you name it. I feel like I gained 5 pounds! And the staff at the hotel? Second to none. Everytime you turn around it's "can I help you with anything?" "Do you have everything you need?" Really just anxious to please. Again, my only complaint was the elevator and that's an easy fix! Kudos to the Hyatt Reston. You rock!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
HyattRegencyReston, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Dear Cissie44,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your recent stay. We are thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful experience! Our location in Reston Town Center definitely can not be beat, and our staff thoroughly enjoys providing a high level of service to our guests. As you stated, all of our event space is on one convenient level, which makes it easy to find your meetings. I will be sure to pass your accolades along to the Chef with regards to the meals and food service you enjoyed during your conference. I have also spoken with our General Manager and Director of Engineering about the elevator issue. Hopefully we can make the recommended improvements before your next visit. Thank you again for leaving your comments. We truly hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you again soon!

Best Regards,

Tammy, Director of Public Relations
Northern Virginia
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Great place for romantic getaway. In heart of RTC. Can't be beat.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pearljam_49
HyattRegencyReston, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear pearljam_49,

Great to hear! We look forward to seeing you again. Perhaps to sneak away and do a little Christmas shopping and ice skating.

Best,

Tammy, Director of Public Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reston
Westin Reston Heights
Hampton Inn & Suites Herndon-Reston
Sheraton Reston Hotel
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston
Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner Center
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Hyatt Regency Dulles
#5 of 20 in Herndon

Been to Hyatt Regency Reston? Share your experiences!