“Worst Service Ever!”

Westin Reston Heights
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Reston
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We arrived at the Westin on a Saturday evening and were looking forward to a great meal and a king sized bed; little did we know that we would get neither. We made our arrangements through Priceline and requested a king sized bed specifically because my husband is 6'6". The employee checking us in informed us that we would not receive a king sized bed because they had an unexpected large group of people to arrive and there were no king sized beds left. I'm sorry, but we made our reservations 1 and 1/2 months prior to that evening because we were flying out of Dulles the next day and we should have gotten priority over "unexpected arrivals." We just went on to the room and thought we would make the best out of a bad situation; then came the problem with the restaurant. We arrived and found that we could not dine in the dining room because they were unprepared for the arrival of all of the people and could not accommodate anyone without a reservation. We went around to the bar and were deciding what we were going to drink when the bartender offered me a sample of some wine I had inquired about; nice enough, right? Wrong. I didn't care for the wine and when I told him, he picked up the glass and finished it off! I was appalled! We ordered completely overpriced and under portioned appetizers and got out of there. The rooms are very pretty and that is the extent of it; the sheets felt like they had about 3 cans of starch on them and we were very happy to leave the next day. When asked by the desk clerk how our stay was we informed him of the problems and told him we would not be back. He simply said "oh, have a nice day." Good luck to anyone who choses to stay there.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank butlerab

Reviewed September 25, 2008

Took advantage of their opening special in May, 2008. We stayed for 3 nights (May 29th-30th)and enjoyed every minute. Loved everything about this hotel from the staff, to the shuttle to Reston Center, the decor, but we really, really loved the heavenly beds. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BRK2008
Reviewed August 20, 2008

We booked this through Starwood and they were having a promotion, so we only paid about $100. We were upgraded to a suite, which was large and included a separate sitting area, but no separate bedroom. Obviously for what we paid I can't possibly have any complaints.

The Reston Weston is new and slick and spacious-feeling. The indoor pool was a nice size. I didn't check out the gym, but they were playing it up at check-in so it's probably nice. We used valet parking, which was $10 (reasonable), but I think the free parking was conveniently located. When we checked out the valet was unavailable and instead of letting us wait around another staff member ran (literally) and got my car. We weren't in a rush and hadn't waited around or anything, so I was impressed that the staff would just automatically do that without thinking about it. Nice can-do attitude.

The immediate area is other high-rise hotels and busy streets. it's not in a neighborhood. It is, however, very convenient to the airport. We chose it for it's proximity to the Air and Space museum.

Overall it was a very convenient and pleasant experience. It's a good choice if it's in the area you want.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank janedoe2008
Reviewed August 5, 2008

I stayed at this hotel with my 4-yr old daughter and 12-yr old son for one night. The price was fantastic over the internet on hotels.com. The staff was very friendly and courteous. They have an "Unwind" event in the lobby every evening with drinks and light snacks. Since they have a wine bar in the hotel, it was a wine tasting, but I wasn't able to attend. They have a small pool, hot tub, and workout room on the penthouse floor (need room key to access). My daughter and I were the only ones there with the lifeguard so it felt like a private pool. The pool depth only went from 3'6" to 3'9" but my daughter still couldn't stand in it by herself. The brochure in the room described the Westin Kid's Club bags so I asked for it at the check-in desk. He was happy to give it to me (lightweight back sack with sun hat, map, color-your-own postcards, colored pencils) and seemed somewhat embarrassed that he forgot to offer it when I checked in. The brochure also mentioned a step stool which I asked them to bring up to the room so that she could reach the bathroom sink. I also asked for a rollaway bed for my son. It was the nicest rollaway I've ever seen. The hotel had a very contemporary, serene vibe. White tea scent as soon as you walk in the lobby. Plush robes and beddings. Flat-screen TV with all the data ports. I will definitely stay here again when I'm in the area.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank DukeGrad
Reviewed May 31, 2008

I stayed at the Westin Reston Heights for one night on 5/30/08 and loved it. If you are staying in Reston Heights, STAY HERE! I arrived at Dulles Airport at 3:30pm on a long flight from Los Angeles. Once outside the terminal, I called the Westin and spoke to an agent who said that a shuttle would be dispatched to pick me up. Fifteen minutes later, a brand-new Westin shuttle van arrived and picked me up. Everything about this hotel feels, smells, looks, and, in fact, is new. The Westin Reston Heights opened for business on May 1, 2008. I got the first taste of this when the shuttle had that “new car smell” as soon as I opened the door to get in.
Reston is about a 15 minute ride from Dulles and the hotel is sandwiched between the Sheraton Reston and some new condos, The Mercer. The hotel building is awash with earth tones and blends in very well with the Sheraton and the Mercer. Upon my arrival, the bell porter opened the shuttle door and welcomed me personally to the Westin. He dealt with my luggage without my having to ask him while I checked-in.
My check-in agent, Steven was wonderful. He welcomed me and immediately recognized my Starwood Platinum status and offered me an amenity as well as a complimentary upgrade to a Deluxe Suite, room 509. Note that I paid $99.00 per night for a standard room on SPG.com. The lobby is smaller, but has a modern décor complete with fresh flowers behind the check-in desk. At this time of day, the hotel lobby was eerily quiet. I asked the shuttle driver on the way here if the Westin was doing good business and he said that it has been slow lately; so perhaps that explains why the lobby area was so quiet that day.
I took a very short walk to the elevators and rode up to floor 5. Upon exiting, I noticed that the hallways were dark and the walls were painted a dark grey, however; the darkness was tranquil and by no means felt like a funeral home. My room 509 was a Deluxe Suite. I opened the door, dropped my bags in the foyer and blurted out an entirely appropriate expletive, as the suite was amazing. (Please see the photos and the video that I have uploaded).
As I mentioned before, this hotel is new. New everything. The suite was quite large with a bedroom and living room all in one with a separate foyer and a large bathroom complete with a separate glass standing shower and a tub. All of the standard Westin amenities were included. The living room area contains a wet bar with a beautiful marble top. The television is huge and every channel comes in clearly, most in HDTV. The desk area comes full equipped with a phone, lamp, Ethernet port ($9.99 for 24 hours of internet), and some sort of audio/video component inputs built into the desk (see the photos).
I found the bed extremely comfortable and the living room sofa and chair reasonably comfortable. Again, everything is new, so I’m not complaining.
Unfortunately for this review, I did not order room service except for my Platinum Amenity (pretzels and beer), which was delivered promptly at 5:30pm as I had requested.
I took the shuttle back to Dulles the next morning to take my next flight. The airport shuttles run on request and I did not have to wait more than 5 minutes for the shuttle to depart the Westin for Dulles.
I have stayed at different Westin branded properties in Seattle, New York, Los Angeles, and San Diego, and I must say that the Westin Reston Heights really shines, even amongst other Westin branded hotels.
If you are staying in the Dulles/Reston area and wish to treat yourself to a beautiful new hotel with excellent staff and service, stay at the Westin Reston Heights.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Skamusic1975
Reviewed May 30, 2008

We also received the grand opening rate from travelzoo ( too low to mention) and stay for one night on Memorial day weekend. We booked this hotel because it close to the Air and Space museum and dulles airport ( appxo 7 mins ) The hotel ( lobby, elevator, room, sheets ) smell fresh, new, and clean. The hotel's restaurant was also very nicely decorated with modern taste. We ate at Chili ( 4 mins walk ) and got milk at a Exxon gas station's store ( 6 Mins walk ) for my 5 yrs old.

The front desk personnel were very patience , friendly, and helpful of getting us a quiet room ( away from the elevator that makes annoucement ) facing the golf course. Don't worry if you get a room facing the highway , the hotel room windows are sound proof .

The only flaw we found at this hotel was lack of lounger/chair at the indoor pool ( total of 4 ), and the attendant /lifeguard sat on one of them.

Our overall experience were wonderful, we will make this hotel our first choice the next time when we are in the DC area .

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Castle88
Reviewed May 12, 2008

We had very good experience with Westin Reston Heights. We've booked their grand opening rate and it was very affordable for a Friday night stay in the area. The lobby is nicely decorated. The rooms are moderately sized but enough for the usual traveler.

One feature I'd like to mention is the input terminal on the work desk which provides an interface for your laptop/DVD player/media player to easily connect it to the LCD TV in the room. It has HDMI/VGA and RGB input for both video and audio.

The bathroom toiletries are nice quality ones.

The breakfast was great and the service was excellent.

Two negative thing worth to mention. There was a small piece of trash on the bathroom floor when we arrived. The bath tub had cracks and spots on it probably from the construction, it didn't look great in a nice bathroom.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zed_37_18
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reston
Hyatt Regency Reston
Sheraton Reston Hotel
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Reston
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Hyatt House Herndon
Hyatt House Herndon
#8 of 20 in Herndon
Hampton Inn & Suites Herndon-Reston

Been to Westin Reston Heights? Share your experiences!