“Inn at Kelly's Ford: Civil War & Hollywood in one stay!”

Inn at Kelly's Ford
Ranked #1 of 2 Remington B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 20, 2008

Waking up and going out on your own private porch and watching the horses; with frosty snorts, being turned out onto this huge (like my whole NE town would fit in with room to spare!) pasture framed with a river in the background. Tired of dealing with family Christmas in TN and being a bit of a civil war buff. I was looking for places in N VA to stay and chill. Reservations were genteel and accommodating. Had a great cozy dinner and went over to the place I was staying in. The room has a fireplace and it work! In the bathroom there was a huge tub, jacuzzi? with unlimited hot water. There was a divider between the bath and the room and when opened allowed me to see both the TV and the fire...did I mention all the hot water? Properly boiled I headed for a huge bed and tried to watch ESPN update but fell asleep. Drove around battlefields the next day, and there are a number of them. Stopped at some outa the way roadside store and went in to grab a diet coke and there was someone who we have all seen in many movies, when he thanked the cashier the voice was unmistakable. The cashier thanked "Bobby?" and when I asked about him, the cashier told me he lived in the area along with others of his ilk!?! Even in winter the area is really easy on the eyes. Back to the Ford and more great food, with an attentive wait staff. I do not really know about the alcohol that was being served as I do not drink, but I did not have to wait for refills of my diet coke. I stayed for a few more days, and my rather extensive list of newspapers were there at my door in the morning. Staff was excellent, although I kept wanting to finish their sentences. A lot of Civil War battlefields toward #95 are surrounded by development and one has few reference points as to how the battle developed. Amazingly the owners have resisted the lure of subdivision/shopping mall money and Kelly's Ford seems intact as a result. Kelly's Ford is the start of a military campaign by the South that will end with Gettysburg. It was wonderful to muse these thoughts as I sat next to a crackling fire in my room.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed February 22, 2008

We loved it. Although only 30 minutes from home we found the Inn a different place altoghether. A quick overnight B&B stay for our 30th anniversary just wasn't long enough. Historic property with a myriad of activities. Easy to find just 10 min. off US 17 we were transported back to why the VA of our youth convinced us to settle here. The property is huge. In fact so large that the views from the cottage where au natural for a good 3/4 of a mile. That is there weren't any other houses visible! No mean feat in No. VA anymore believe me. The staff was friendly, proffesional, overly helpful and eager to please. Jean Paul's dinner was awesome in presentation only outdone by his culinary skills. Not a cook ..a Chef ; escargot was top notch,a wonderful mint sorbet and the venison tenderloin a truly gourmet dining experience. We were too full for dessert. Cottage was huge. So was the bed. Open fireplace was a real treat. Wonderfully pleasant peaceful visit. Absolutely satisfied can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2007

My wife and I made a reservation for a room and dinner for a Saturday evening. Since we did not allow much lead time we were not surprised that only one room was available. However, when we arrived we discovered "the Loft" was a dark area over the stables which reeked with all of the attendant aromas you would expect in a horse barn. We left immediately and advised we could not stay in such surroundings and were graciously refunded our deposit.

We agreed to honor our dinner reservation in the main dining room. At the appointed hour we were promptly seated facing a window which probably had a nice view, but since it was dark there was nothing to see. Dinner was a disappointment. The Caesar salad was warm and limp, the entre was fine but nothing to rave about. The dessert; a warm cheesecake totally lacking in taste or character, was inedible. Refrigeration must be in short supply at the Inn at Kelly's Ford.

In addition we were subject to an annoying battle of the bands. The floor vibrated from the music being played in the pub area below and uncomfortably conflicted with the music being played in the main dining room.

The bottom line is: The Inn at Kelly's Ford is not deserving of a return trip.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank Ronfromvirginia
Reviewed September 2, 2007

Last weekend my husband and I hosted a Rehearsal Dinner for our son's wedding at The Inn At Kelly's Ford. We reserved the General's Quarters and The Ranch House for our family and out of town guests. We found all accomadations to be perfect. Everything we needed was available and we found the entire staff to be gracious and ready to meet our every need. The setting was serene and beautiful. The General's Quarters definitely takes you back in time.The beds were comfortable and the entire house was spotless and tastefully decorated. Our friends, who stayed in the Ranch House, were equally happy with their accomadations. Several months prior to the event I met with the owner who went out of her way to make sure she was able to accomadate my wishes for the dinner. She and the Event Planner did a wonderful offering suggestions and making sure everything went according to the plan. Arrangements were made to close the restaurant to the public at 8 p.m. because I had fallen in love with beautiful dinning room with the gorgeous view and wanted to have the dinner there. The owner even arranged for a local florist to provide the beautiful flowers for the tables and wreath for entrance to the inn. They took care of every detail, I never had to worry about a single thing. The food was excellent and the presentation was wonderful. We received complements galore from all of the guests at the dinner who were still talking about the dinner the next day at the wedding. We had a fantastic weekend. We are all planning to get together to go back for a more relaxed weekend when we can participate in some of the many activities available. The Inn At Kelly's Ford made our weekend a most memorable one. My family and friends cannot say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay. The Inn At Kelly's Ford can easily be described with one word..."PERFECT".

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank tpgowen
Reviewed August 20, 2007

My wife and I came across this Inn while driving in the country, it was so cute we pulled in the parking lot to check it out. When we got home we booked a long weekend. We left utterly disappointed. Other than the excellent meal in the main restaurant this B&B was poorly run in almost every way, with unhelpful/lazy staff and a belligerent owner. On the surface everything looked fine, but little actually was. When we told the proprietor that we were disappointed he became incredibly rude and abusive, actually calling my wife names. Frankly I have never experienced anything like it. For the record, we travel extensively and have stayed in numerous Inn's and B&B's throughout the US and other countries - The Inn at Kelly's Ford sits at the bottom of our list.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VAtraveller17
Reviewed August 27, 2006

We spent several days at the Inn during August with our two young children, and this is definitely a place for families with horse-loving girls to get away from it all! First, the positives: caring, attentive service, a huge room with a gorgeous view and super-comfortable beds, and a delicious breakfast in a dining room filled with Civil Was historic memorabilia. The Inn was the site of a famous Civil War battle, and attracts its share of Civil War buffs.

But we came for the horses, and the Inn's are sweet and calm. Perfect for our budding equestriennes, The quality of the horseback riding instruction was outstanding (our children rode English hunt seat, but instruction in saddle seat and Western is available), and we parents enjoyed touring the barns and observing the lessons. More experienced riders can bring their own horses, and hiking and canoeing is available as well.

Our gripes with the property were few, but should be mentioned. First, the Inn has been having water quality problems (in the process of being remedied), and we were given bottled water, and told not to drink the tap water. I would have liked to have been informed of this before we arrived. Also, the Inn's dining room is not open on Monday or Tuesday nights -- also something I wish we had known before we arrived. It's a long drive to the surrounding towns for dinner, and we'd heard great things about the chef and food.

Would we visit again? Yes, but I'd want to be sure the water situation is squared away, and I'd visit on Thursday through Sunday to be sure to be able to eat at the restaurant. My daughters are certainly looking forward to a return trip!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank painai
Reviewed April 23, 2006

My husband and I spent two wonderful nights at the Inn for our 8th anniversary and it was absolutely wonderful. The Inn overlooks rolling hills and pastures with grazing horses. We stayed in one of the Inn's cottages and were extremely pleased with the awesome, unobstructed view, the cottages 800 plus square footage, the huge king-sized bed with down pillows and the magnificent bathroom. The Inn’s website does not do the bathroom justice. It’s all marble, separate spacious shower, deep Jacuzzi tub and double sinks is worthy of any 5 star hotel. The food was excellent. The Inn has two dining areas on site a formal dining area and a pub with live music on some nights. Both were amazing. Since we wanted to take advantage of sleeping in, we took advantage of having our breakfast brought to us in our room at the time we selected. The Inn at Kelly’s Ford’s staff was remarkable and addressed all of our needs and requests in a timely and discreet manner. It was obvious that they were there to make our stay pleasant. We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank Raskew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Remington
Comfort Inn & Suites Orange
Poplar Springs Inn & Spa
The Chilton House
The Chilton House
#1 of 2 in Warrenton

Been to Inn at Kelly's Ford? Share your experiences!