“Not worth a return trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Remington
Inn at Kelly's Ford
Ranked #1 of 2 Remington B&B and Inns
Virginia
“Not worth a return trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2007

My wife and I made a reservation for a room and dinner for a Saturday evening. Since we did not allow much lead time we were not surprised that only one room was available. However, when we arrived we discovered "the Loft" was a dark area over the stables which reeked with all of the attendant aromas you would expect in a horse barn. We left immediately and advised we could not stay in such surroundings and were graciously refunded our deposit.

We agreed to honor our dinner reservation in the main dining room. At the appointed hour we were promptly seated facing a window which probably had a nice view, but since it was dark there was nothing to see. Dinner was a disappointment. The Caesar salad was warm and limp, the entre was fine but nothing to rave about. The dessert; a warm cheesecake totally lacking in taste or character, was inedible. Refrigeration must be in short supply at the Inn at Kelly's Ford.

In addition we were subject to an annoying battle of the bands. The floor vibrated from the music being played in the pub area below and uncomfortably conflicted with the music being played in the main dining room.

The bottom line is: The Inn at Kelly's Ford is not deserving of a return trip.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Ronfromvirginia

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Amherst, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

Last weekend my husband and I hosted a Rehearsal Dinner for our son's wedding at The Inn At Kelly's Ford. We reserved the General's Quarters and The Ranch House for our family and out of town guests. We found all accomadations to be perfect. Everything we needed was available and we found the entire staff to be gracious and ready to meet our every need. The setting was serene and beautiful. The General's Quarters definitely takes you back in time.The beds were comfortable and the entire house was spotless and tastefully decorated. Our friends, who stayed in the Ranch House, were equally happy with their accomadations. Several months prior to the event I met with the owner who went out of her way to make sure she was able to accomadate my wishes for the dinner. She and the Event Planner did a wonderful offering suggestions and making sure everything went according to the plan. Arrangements were made to close the restaurant to the public at 8 p.m. because I had fallen in love with beautiful dinning room with the gorgeous view and wanted to have the dinner there. The owner even arranged for a local florist to provide the beautiful flowers for the tables and wreath for entrance to the inn. They took care of every detail, I never had to worry about a single thing. The food was excellent and the presentation was wonderful. We received complements galore from all of the guests at the dinner who were still talking about the dinner the next day at the wedding. We had a fantastic weekend. We are all planning to get together to go back for a more relaxed weekend when we can participate in some of the many activities available. The Inn At Kelly's Ford made our weekend a most memorable one. My family and friends cannot say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay. The Inn At Kelly's Ford can easily be described with one word..."PERFECT".

• Liked — Beautiful views and wonderful staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank tpgowen
Fairfax, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2007

My wife and I came across this Inn while driving in the country, it was so cute we pulled in the parking lot to check it out. When we got home we booked a long weekend. We left utterly disappointed. Other than the excellent meal in the main restaurant this B&B was poorly run in almost every way, with unhelpful/lazy staff and a belligerent owner. On the surface everything looked fine, but little actually was. When we told the proprietor that we were disappointed he became incredibly rude and abusive, actually calling my wife names. Frankly I have never experienced anything like it. For the record, we travel extensively and have stayed in numerous Inn's and B&B's throughout the US and other countries - The Inn at Kelly's Ford sits at the bottom of our list.

• Liked — Outward appearance
  • Disliked — hospitality and service
  • Stayed September 2004, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VAtraveller17
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2006

We spent several days at the Inn during August with our two young children, and this is definitely a place for families with horse-loving girls to get away from it all! First, the positives: caring, attentive service, a huge room with a gorgeous view and super-comfortable beds, and a delicious breakfast in a dining room filled with Civil Was historic memorabilia. The Inn was the site of a famous Civil War battle, and attracts its share of Civil War buffs.

But we came for the horses, and the Inn's are sweet and calm. Perfect for our budding equestriennes, The quality of the horseback riding instruction was outstanding (our children rode English hunt seat, but instruction in saddle seat and Western is available), and we parents enjoyed touring the barns and observing the lessons. More experienced riders can bring their own horses, and hiking and canoeing is available as well.

Our gripes with the property were few, but should be mentioned. First, the Inn has been having water quality problems (in the process of being remedied), and we were given bottled water, and told not to drink the tap water. I would have liked to have been informed of this before we arrived. Also, the Inn's dining room is not open on Monday or Tuesday nights -- also something I wish we had known before we arrived. It's a long drive to the surrounding towns for dinner, and we'd heard great things about the chef and food.

Would we visit again? Yes, but I'd want to be sure the water situation is squared away, and I'd visit on Thursday through Sunday to be sure to be able to eat at the restaurant. My daughters are certainly looking forward to a return trip!

• Stayed September 2004
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank painai
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2006

My husband and I spent two wonderful nights at the Inn for our 8th anniversary and it was absolutely wonderful. The Inn overlooks rolling hills and pastures with grazing horses. We stayed in one of the Inn's cottages and were extremely pleased with the awesome, unobstructed view, the cottages 800 plus square footage, the huge king-sized bed with down pillows and the magnificent bathroom. The Inn’s website does not do the bathroom justice. It’s all marble, separate spacious shower, deep Jacuzzi tub and double sinks is worthy of any 5 star hotel. The food was excellent. The Inn has two dining areas on site a formal dining area and a pub with live music on some nights. Both were amazing. Since we wanted to take advantage of sleeping in, we took advantage of having our breakfast brought to us in our room at the time we selected. The Inn at Kelly’s Ford’s staff was remarkable and addressed all of our needs and requests in a timely and discreet manner. It was obvious that they were there to make our stay pleasant. We will be back!

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank Raskew
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2006

My daughter and I spent the weekend in one of their spacious cottages that was well appointed with a great countryside view. We passed on the fine dining and dined in the pub. The food was excellent and we found the staff missed the "details" a couple of times. We took advantage of the equestian center and the trails were first class. My only concern was Saturday night when the vocalist in the pub broke out in the song "Dixie" and half the room stood up and sang.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2006

This b&b was really great. The cottage was very spacious and beautiful. It had a nice view of a field with horses and cows. The tub was awesome! Very big and romantic. The bed had very nice linens. My only complaint would be that the water was "undrinkable" because there was bacteria found in it when tested (so they provided water bottles) but you weren't supposed to brush your teeth with it--which made me kind of nervous about bathing in it. So, you may want to check if that problem was fixed. The breakfast was not very big, but it was good. You could choose one thing from a list: I got one waffle and a drink. We did the horseback riding and it was okay. My husband and I thought it would be romantic, but we ended up being so far away (his horse was pretty out of shape)we couldn't even talk much. Overall though, I thought the cottage was great and would recommend it to anyone wanting to escape for a night.

• Stayed February 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Remington
Poplar Springs Inn & Spa
#21 of 42 in Fredericksburg
Walden Hall
Walden Hall
#1 of 6 in Culpeper

Been to Inn at Kelly's Ford? Share your experiences!