“Crazy Crab less crabby”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Our family loves to gather at the Crazy Crab as often as we can. Its crab cakes were the best--my favorite--memorably good. My husband likes the fried oysters, his personal favorite. Other family members are often with us and they order as their moods dictate. I must say, though that our last visit over Labor Day weekend, the prices were up and the crab cake was more cake than crab (far less crab than usual) and the oysters were more coating than oyster (disappointing)--there was a distinct decline in amount of seafood in each of these dishes. However, one member of our party ordered broiled scallops--big, juicy, and flavorful (a winner!!).
This may be a sign of the times, or one of those things--we will try it again to see if we experienced a fluke! The gift shop is small but lots of fun, too. I am giving this a "very good" based on our overall experience, but this particular trip left us wanting.

There are newer reviews for The Crazy Crab

Reviewed July 26, 2011

After a hiatus of many years, I found myself reliving earlier trips to the eastern end of Virginia's Northern Neck (Northumberland and Lancaster Counties), and exploring restaurants on the Rappahannock River and the Chespeake Bay. Two places stand out above the others; one is very high end, one is quite basic. The Crazy Crab is the latter.

A great seafood restaurant depends on three ingredients: First, a location on the water; second, absolutely fresh seafood from that water; third, an innovative and demanding chief. Crazy Crab has all three.

Located on a pier jutting into a broad creek, just around the corner from both the river and the bay at the very eastern terminus of U.S. Route 360 in Reedvllle, the restaurant offers an enclosed dining room with A/C, as well as outside seating directly on the water. We chose the outside area, despite the toasty weather, accentuated by periodic fishy reminders of boiling menhaden, just down the river. (Reedville is the Bay's major producer of menhaden oil.)

The menu was suberb. My wife ordered she-crab soup and broiled oysters, about which she raved. My dish was "Crab on Crab", lightly grilled lump crab meat served on top of a delicately sauteed soft shell crab. This dish was a winner for any lover of Blue Crab. Delicious!

A true lover of the tidewater and great seafood will not go wrong at this place.

1  Thank southernsaga
Reviewed July 17, 2011

During the season when they are open, my wife and I take a 900 mile round trip just for their sandwiches and the smell of the salt water. No matter when a person walks in they are treated with courtesy and a friendship that I have only found in there. We are constantly looking forward to our next trip out there.

1  Thank ChrisBashaw
Reviewed February 11, 2011

Have you ever had lump crabmeat on a fried soft crab? How about lump crabmeat on a protobello mushroom? Those loooking for a Baltimore crab house should go elsewhere. This place is only for those who love really good, imaginative, food served with a view of the water at a reasonable price..

2  Thank Ciccofish
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Don't miss a chance to enjoy a great meal, the quiet beauty of Cockrell's Creek, and a taste of what makes believers out of all who visit here. The food is fresh and tasty, the servers always smile as they see to your every need, and the camaraderie and atmosphere of this waterfront delight will linger in your memory a very long time. My wife and I look for excuses to go there, even if it often takes us well out of our way to do so. The owners, Charles and Olivia Williams, speak knowledgeably and lovingly of the long and colorful history of this unique place. Don't miss it!

2  Thank cfischer41