“Great place once you get by the gate”

Lake Phoenix SCUBA Park and Family Campgrounds
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Rawlings
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Now OPEN owned as Lake Phoenix SCUBA Park & Family Campgrounds. Open by reservation during winter season, see website. SCUBA, snorkeling, swimming, camping, RV sites amd more. Summer hours start 1 May.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a very nice place once you get by the people at the gate who have no personality at all. That is the only thing that i could find wrong with the place. We camped there and was able to walk to the access area. Bring a small wagon or cart to make it easier as some of the sited are a bit of a walk. The water clarity was good when the amount of people was down. There is a lot of training being done there and there are a lot of platforms to do that on. For the experienced diver there are a lot of things to see there. A school bus, black hawk helicopter, several cars, a van and several boats and many other sites to see underwater. The max dept is 67 feet and there thermocline was at about 25ft in May. The water temp was 60+ at the surface and about 50 below the thermocline. One thing I found odd was to take a shower it is a pay shower. 50 cents to start the shower and 25cents for every extra 80 seconds. Not expensive if you get in and out but something to think of when coming. Bring some quarters along. They have all the facilities to fill your tanks and also rent other gear there.

5  Thank sarah0263
in 10 reviews
"tanks"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed May 19, 2013

If you haven't experienced this hidden gem on the Virginia - North Carolina border it is time to do so! The team here works hard to provide and outstanding dive experience for all level of divers, come enjoy the water, fish and hidden treasures in the water.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Went to Lake Rawlings for my daughter to complete her junior PADI training in October 2012. the lake itself is lovely with very clear water and well equipped with diving platforms at various levels and stuff to see under water. It was busier than I expected, but the groups were all checked in and out and this aspect was well organised.
I can agree with previous comments about rudeness of staff in the checking in building. It was our first visit and we were spoken to as if we were idiots for not knowing the routine, which I nearly flashed at as the way I was spoken to was so rude. We are Brits and had always enjoyed the friendly welcome we received pretty much everywhere in the US apart from Lake Rawlings, which was a shame. Other members of staff were ok though and the little cafe served cheap and cheerful food for hungry divers.
As for the actual training this was undertaken by the individual companies using the site so is a separate matter. A matter of slight concern was that one member of the party my daughter was with started to have trouble breathing. One of the members of the group was shouting for help and it took a while before anyone on the bank responded, at first we didn't know if it was a real incident or not, because the cries were intermittent and not coming from the group leader ( which was also a bit odd) but nonetheless someone fronm the safety team should have been in the water straight away just in case.
For these reasons I only gave the Lake an 'average' rating but it could get more easily if it trained its staff ( one guy in particular) to be more polite and welcoming, and sorted out its organisation a little better. It is a great facility and my daughter loved the diving aspect which I guess is the main thing.

7  Thank Alison R
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Was looking for a my NITROX certification, and they provided the training including the manual and slates (had to do the tables with them but it was not bad) for less than the cost of the eLearning. Found out that even with the eLearning I needed to visit a shop to do cylinder inspection and analysis anyway. And they were going to charge me for that!
The course was Awesome and I came away with a great understanding of the tables, where was she when I did my open water course as the instructor there did little to help me understand the tables other than say review the book.
Anyway camping was free with the course and the water a bit cool when I did dive but an over all great time.

2  Thank gail d