“Consistently good”

Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Blacksburg, Va
“Consistently good”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Excellent Italian food from specialty dishes to pizza. Owners, managers, chef visible and friendly. Good choice of particularly red wines

Visited May 2012

Northern Virginia
“Surprisingly good NY Italian food”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

The pizza is good, the soups tasty of too high in salt, the entrees are good enough to be served anywhere. Not fancy, not pretentious just good food.

Visited February 2012
Radford, Virginia
“Great food, great portions!”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Eaten several times here and it is slways good. You will need a doggy bag as the portions are very generous! Great food and good recommendation!

Charlotte, NC
“Good food, crappy service”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

My husband, sister-in-law and 3-yr-old niece ate at Sal’s on a recent trip to Radford. We were heading out of town, and wanted to grab some lunch before we hit the road. As soon as you walk in, you’re hit in the face with that yummy italian-food cooking smell. The person who sat us (I’m assuming it was a manager), offered a small piece of pizza dough for our niece to play with, which she loved and it kept her occupied the whole time.

The food was good. We had garlic knots and marinara brought out to us almost as soon as we sat down. The sauce tasted homemade. My sis-in-law and I each ordered an eggplant parmesan sub, the hubby had a meatball sub, and our niece has a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. The portions were generous, and our food was tasty. The eggplant was tender and not bitter at all. If I were judging on food alone, I’d give the place a bunch of stars.

But alas…the service.

The service really sank this place. Our waiter was not very friendly, and completely unattentive. He didn’t refill our drinks while we were waiting for our food. He didn’t check on us after we received our food until we were almost finished eating, and in the meantime he completely disappeared so we couldn’t even flag him down to request anything. He was only pleasant when he handed us the check. We noticed the same thing happening with other servers in the restaurant as well, so my guess is the problem is systemic. (Although the female servers did seem better than the male servers, for what that’s worth.)

Maybe they feel the food is good enough that they don’t have to offer good service, or maybe everyone was having a really bad day. If I lived in Radford, I’d probably give the place a second try because of the food, but I probably won’t ever make it back there. My advice: go for the food, but lower your expectations about the service. Maybe you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

• Visited March 2012
Pulaski
“Fabulous Food and Pizza”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

You can never go wrong with Sal's. We love the huge calazones and the Baked Ziti is the best around. We have never been disappointed when we eat here.

• Visited February 2012

Been to Sal's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria? Share your experiences!