“Basic, nice hotel, but....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn Radford

La Quinta Inn Radford
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Radford
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Basic, nice hotel, but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is a basic La Quinta that is bright, clean and well maintained. There is a small restaurant downstairs that serves dinner but the food was microwaved and not very good, though the server was pleasant. Still, it was nice not to have to go find a restaurant after a long drive. My real problem was the noise level in the room; I could hear a tv on one side and some boistrous men on the other (at 3 am). I actually doubt that either the tv or the men were all that loud in the general scheme of things; rather, the walls are just very thin and poorly insulated. (By contrast, I thought the windows did a pretty good job of keeping out street noise and for once I had a heat/ac unit that didn't make too much noise cycling on and off.). I called the hotel's front desk and they immediately asked the men to quieten down. While I appreciated their responsiveness, you may not get the restful night's sleep you want if you happen to be next to noisy people. I paid $100 for a two-bedded room, which was the AAA rate and, I thought, a little steep for Radford.

Room Tip: You should ask for one at the end of a hallway, where you can't be sandwiched between noisy peop...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cary H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
charlottesville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

The LaQuinta is barely 1 mile from Radford University, about 2 miles off I-81 on route 177 aka Tyler Ave. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly. The room was plain but for $70 it was a bargain. The wifi connection was strong and reliable. My main complaint was that I asked for a quiet room and got one facing the street. In fact, from the parking lot and even from the road I could see into my room, including the TV, desk lamp, and door! With the curtains open, you could not walk anywhere in the room that was not visible to street. There was traffic noise from the road, especially at night. If you stay here, ask for a room not facing the street. The breakfast was the standard fix-it-yourself. There is a Bistro but it was not open anytime I checked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the rear, not the highway out front!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Let me start this with I entered the lobby and stood at the front desk as the lady who works at the front desk stands there at the computer for about 5 minutes before she looks up at me then continues for a minute or two then finally says can I help you, The hotel has tile floors thru out including the hallways which is nice when you are sleeping or relaxing hearing rolling bags or maid carts banging down the hallway. The rooms have no carpet but wooden floors which were cold and dirty my socks showed as I stayed there.The walls are so thin you can hear people breathing next door. The bed was ok the pillows were either worn out or too soft. It was inexpensive to stay there so again you get what you pay for applies.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fairfax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Doing the college tour thing. Arrived at 10 am, Amber & Becky did their best to get us settled. They don't have the Bistro open on Sundays, but Amber said she would be happy to make me anything I wanted. There was a snowstorm, so I was a little worried. The front desk staff & cleaning staff were wonderful. Room was comfortable, internet worked, very close to Radford and the Food Lion! Thank you all!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I read other reviews that said this property had thin walls but that was the worst ever. I could tell what tv channel my neighbors were watching and the volume was not loud. I could hear everything in the hall as well

Otherwise the room and common areas were immaculate and the staff very polite and efficient. Very good WiFi too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Somerset, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had to travel for a funeral, and made a two-night reservation here. The inn was booked because of the 8-inch snow the night before and there was a college basketball game in town one night. The girls basketball team was staying here and there was a good bit of noise in the hall and next door. However, as soon as it was 11 p.m., everything got quiet, I guess they had a curfew. The next night was a different story because whoever was next door to us, came in at 3:16 a.m., and I could hear them talking through the walls. They also woke me up a couple of more times talking loudly, and then at 7 a.m., they turned the TV on. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The breakfast had the normal cereals, bagels, muffins, fruit cups, but also biscuits and sausage gravy, if you're a fan of that. They didn't have the usual waffles that you can cook yourself, but I guess everyone doesn't need them all the time because of calories. We had an enjoyable time, but I guess it depends upon who else is staying in the hotel at the time. The walls were thin, and if one dog barked at something, our dog joined in. They didn't have the normal soda pop machines and snack machines, only a few items that you could buy from the front desk, so if you want more, you might need to bring your own. To get to the hotel from Interstate 81, you had to drive past the hotel and make a U-turn. We would probably stay here again if we needed to, but during the week might be better than on a weekend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Raymond, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We were upgraded to the suite and it was amazing. Clean, quiet, welcoming staff. There was also a small lounge where we were able to grab a glass of wine after a long day of driving. We use LQ often and actually wished we could have spent an extra night!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radford
BEST WESTERN Radford Inn
Hampton Inn Dublin
#1 of 5 in Dublin
Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg

Been to La Quinta Inn Radford? Share your experiences!