“Truly a family experience”

Sal's Jr. New York Style Pizzeria and Italian Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 58 Restaurants in Radford
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed July 2, 2014

As long time customers, our family visits Sal's Jr. several times a week. The food is incredible, the staff is amazing, and it feels like home. As others have said, they take the time to get to know their customers, and go out of their way to make every visit perfect. In fact, I hesitate to call myself a customer. They make you feel like part of the family, not just another table.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Every time I've been to Sal's Jr., it's been a great experience. All of the waitresses are extremely friendly and remember their customers names and orders. I am an EXTREMELY picky eater and I love their food. I would highly suggest this place to anyone and everyone. The best waitress I've had there is Alyssa. Ask for her when you go. She makes your visit fun and is the best waitress I've ever had at any restaurant. She makes sure all her customers are happy with their food and their visit. She works hard to make sure her customers, and even customers at other tables, are satisfied.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

I tend to frequent Sal's Jr for lunch and it is always a positive experience. The atmosphere is great because everyone is always super friendly. A lot of the waitstaff have come to know me and always make it a point to say hello even if they are not waiting on me. They are also really good about working with your time restraints as well. If I needed to get in and get out they always made that possible but, on the other side, when you want to hang out for a while they don't hassle you. The food, of course, is excellent. I tend to favor the cheesesteak but whenever I do try something else I am never disappointed. It highly suggest this restaurant to anyone who asks for a recommendation.

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

To put it short and simple, there is zero flavor in anything we ate and the service was awful. The waitress had no manners and obviously didn't want to be there. Didn't get a name but she had curly brown hair. Never came to check back to ask how everything was. Said thank you about 8x and got nothing. Not friendly. Never coming back. Save yourself the trip. Go to Pizza Hut instead that's near there.

Sandro00, Owner at Sal's Jr. New York Style Pizzeria and Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Hello, my name is Justin Fusco and I am the General Manager here at Sals Jr. in Fairlawn. I was very upset after reading your review and would like to start off by apologizing for your experience here. Over the years Sals Jr. has become a staple of the Radford community and as you may have seen from all of our previous reviews has always been known for great pizza and amazing food. I am so sorry that the food you received was flavorless and I am very surprised to hear this. Our food has always been enjoyed by the masses and even had a recent article written about it in the newspaper. I am not sure exactly went wrong or if the food was just incorrectly prepared for you. I promise that that will never happen again. As for the service, it pains me to read about your experience. We always stress customer service. In my opinion we have the best waitstaff that I have encountered. There is no excuse for the lack of service you received and I will talk with her about this and make sure this never happens again in the future. A change must be made to ensure this does not happen again. I would really urge you to give our restaurant a second chance and I can assure you your experience will not be the same. I would love to personally take care of you and your family the next time you visit and hopefully change your feelings towards Sals Jr. Once again I am very upset to hear about your visit and would like nothing more than to rectify your experience if you would allow us to. We pride ourselves on great food and service here at Sals Jr., and there is nothing that upsets me more than a bad review or complaint. Feel free to contact me or the owner any time you would like to visit again and we will make sure to take care of you.
Justin Fusco
Hi my name is Alessandro Pugliese (Al) and I am the owner of Sal's Jr. First I want to apologize for the behavior of your server, for that Thursday evening. I did not want to put her on board that night but we were struggling for help that night. Most of our staff members are college students trying to make ends meet and most all of them have classes on Tuesday and Thursday nights non of them were available for the Thursday night shift. Your server is not a college student. She was a previous employee at our original restaurant years back. She asked me for some help and I obliged. . I don't blame you at all about you being upset with your service. It's not unacceptable and no one deserves to be treated in that fashion no matter where you are. I don't know if you noticed the behavior of the other staff members around acting at a more superior level than your server because when I hire a new staff members, especially waitstaff, I put them through lots of rigorous training on customer service and knowledge of the menu. I really do strive for that superior customer service, not excellent, but superior. Justin and I wouldn't care if that was the case hence our replys. I know for sure if that wasn't the case we wouldn't be in business for the 36+ year since 1978. When I read the review I literally lost sleep that night and also my mood changed dramatically (per my wife) she didn't like me that day. That's another story though. . I check the reviews regularly but this weekend was a little different because I left Saturday afternoon for the Easter weekend to see family. When I got the notification of the new review which does not get emailed to me until 3 days later for some reason. I immediately called Justin and told him about the review. He was so upset that he had to get in touch with you to get to the bottom of the problem. He works so hard to get that service to the highest level that when he read that review his heart shattered. The review was written on Thursday the 17th, I was at the restaurant the entire day and night. Did you see me or ask for me during your visit? I know you don't have to because your service is suppose to be to the standard of which you would never have to ask for the manager on duty to address an issue. I feel so ashamed that this happened, embarrassed to say the least. just had to address my feelings with you because this may be a better night sleep BC of the activities done today were absolutely exhausting and with the little sleep from last night. However the weight off my shoulders is a little lighter because I finally have gotten the opportunity to get in touch with you. In conclusion, when ever you come back into town for business and your colleague you dined with agrees to join please let me have the chance to impress you. I failed miserably the first time and I am sure the second go around won't happen the same way. I will be sure of that.
Alessandro Pugliese

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We love this place - and the other Sals in Radford. So glad that the family opened this restaurant as it is closer to where we live and work. Our standard is the cheese pizza and cheese steak with the works for Fridays. We use this place when we have working lunches and the visitors are always pleased. Real NY style!