“family weekend at Radford University”
Review of Super 8 Radford VA

Super 8 Radford VA
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Radford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Nice room, very clean. Do not expect much from breakfast. Over all, we were pleasantly suprised. A seating area for breakfast would help, and a little more variety, but we were basicly looking for a decent place to sleep

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Where to start... The location was great, we were literally down the street from the campus. Rooms were a little gloomy and damp and for a non-smoking room it smelt like an ashtray, so we were moved because evidently it wasn't cleaned yet. Upon entering our (new) room the smell of body odor reminded you of the old locker rooms in highschool... The desk said the room was used by their people when someone had to have a place to sleep, so after a hose down with Lysol and opening windows we were able to finally get some rest. Location was perfect but overall this was a nasty stay.

• Stayed August 2012
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We booked this stay through Expedia's "unpublished rates". As soon as the name was revealed, I checked out the reviews and not happy with what I read, I called Expedia but they refused to change it.
We arrived late at night. It was quite and we felt safe. Not bad so far. The hotel lobby didn't say much or smelled which gave me hope. We were assigned a room on the first floor which was also great. The moment we entered the room, it was like getting slapped in the face with 100 smokers blowing smoke on your face. The smell was pungent. I figured just a few hours and it will be over? but it was more than that. A few hours later, I woke up literally gasping for air. Sometimes, after being in a room for a while, you get used to whatever smell is there but not this night. A combination of the smell, the toilet dripping all night, the air conditioner not cooling the room and a very not comfortable bed made this probably the worst night sleep I've had in a while.
At checkout the lady asked how was my stay (with an attitude of not really caring) and I told her about the smell and the toilet dripping and she just looked at me an told me we had a smoking room. Whose at fault here? Expedia? Me? the night attendant? don't know the answer but a simple apology would have done it for me. That never happened.
It's been 2 days since our stay and I am still "tasting" the room. All we took with us went in the laundry immediately after we got home.
All in all, for the price I guess it's alright however, make sure you request a non-smoking room if you don't want to end up with asthma attack.
The one and one good thing: it's only minutes away from Radford University. Great location.

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor are smoking rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank roset_2
dallas88, Manager at Super 8 Radford VA, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thanks for your feedback! When using other online booking sources you need to have them guarantee your non-smoking room type. Feel free to contact me directly to discuss and offer you a chance to visit us again.

Travelers are raving about these Radford hotels

Virginia
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed at this Super 8 for one night, just to sleep. I was there not more than 8 hours and did not want to pay for a more expensive room at the Best Western.

It is a typical Super 8 but my room was very clean and that's all I really was interested in for such a short stay.

The room phone did not work but that is really my only complaint.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank cnghsts
dallas88, Manager at Super 8 Radford VA, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thanks for your comments! Our mission is to offer value, clean and friendly service. Hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We recently stayed here while visiting Radford University for Young Alumni Homecoming Weekend. The staff was friendly enough, but didn't tell us anything about the continental breakfast or other hotel info (wi-fi connection). The room was dusty and the bathtub did not look very clean. There was hair on the floor and the towels had hair in them, definitely not the most sanitary of places. Even though we were in a non-smoking room, we could smell smoke the entire time, not to mention the fire alarm went off early in the morning one day. The location is alright, we still had to drive down to campus/downtown. I don't think I would recommend this hotel as I will never stay here again. Just was too run-down and dirty for me.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Juliann W
dallas88, Manager at Super 8 Radford VA, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thanks for posting your comments! Sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. Please contact me directly to discuss and offer you another opportunity to visit. We work directly with Radford University for all events and want to continue to offer prefered service to University students,parents and alumni
Germantown, Tennessee
Reviewed January 2, 2012

My daughter and I just needed a place to sleep on our way to a relative's house and my husband found this place on the internet. The price was good, and the manager was helpful and nice, but the whole hotel smelled like cigarettes. Yuck! If this bothers you, I would recommend the La Quinta down the road.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Stephchef
dallas88, Manager at Super 8 Radford VA, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thanks for posting your comments! We are pleased that you seleted Super 8 and sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. We are working to improve the guest experience and will work on airing out the hallways in the smoking section.
Hope you will try us again on your next trip to Radford
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radford
Best Western Radford Inn
Sleep Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Dublin
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Christiansburg

Been to Super 8 Radford VA? Share your experiences!