Open today: 1:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Review Highlights
Fun for the whole family

Reviewed October 3, 2018
catherinerG5869MP
Quicksburg, Virginia
Tasting with the Wine Maker

Reviewed May 20, 2018
TravelerTP
Northern Virginia, Virginia

All reviews wine maker cabernet franc live music the owner tasting room pavilion lesson cheers winery wineries wines
Selected filters
Reviewed October 3, 2018

Yes, it's a vineyard, with many excellent wines. But the grounds are lovely and there is plenty of room for kids to run and play. Live music as well.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

I visited third hill this weekend with two friends. We’re all fairly young (22/23) and I got the impression that they were not excited about having us due to our age. I’ve been to a dozen or so wineries in the area so I know what to expect. First of all, when we arrived there were already 6 people at the bar about to start a tasting. The owner was there and he said just to go on the end and join in with them. So we had 9 people total for one tasting? I’ve never done one with more than 4 people. I would have rather waited a few minutes to have our own separate tasting. Another group came in a few minutes after us and the owners wife served them. I hypothesize because of our age we weren’t “worth” doing a tasting on our own. During the tasting, the owner never once looked at my friends and I, he seemed to be only speaking to the other groups there and we were just expected to listen and follow along. Since the tasting was a big group, it took awhile for wines to be poured and tasted so naturally my friends and I broke into side conversations while we waited. At one point we did not notice the owner was about to start explaining the next wine. Instead of nicely grabbing our attention by letting us know, he rudely says to us “are you going to listen?” As if I’m in sixth and talking when my teacher is explaining a lesson. I’m a paying customer, I understand we should have been more aware he was about to speak but that crossed the line. I think he felt bad after that as he interacted with us for the first (and only) time by asking us where we are from.

In general, I thought the wines were pretty good & the location was very lovely. Just disappointed by the hints of age discrimination we faced.

Date of experience: May 2018
mellomach5, Owner at Third Hill at DeMello Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2018

Hi! Thank you for your review. We absolutely don’t discern between young and old, we love serving everyone, if you got that impression, we need to work on our eye contact when we serve. Most groups that come in are eager to step up to the bar and start their tasting instead of waiting, and we assumed you and your group wanted to begin. We have absolutely no problem with a group requesting to wait. Memorial Weekend is a very busy weekend and I myself will handle 3 or more tastings at one time, and to be honest, we love the younger people, they are a lot of fun to interact with. We will endeavor to engage with everyone on our next busy day, hope you’ll give us another chance.

Reviewed May 20, 2018

Of the wineries that I have visited, Third Hill was pretty quiet. It was a rainy weekend, though. The winemaker/owner did our tasting for us, so he was able to tell us a lot about the wines and how he had made them. The grounds were nice, and there was a pavilion outside, along with seating inside and on the deck. We enjoyed our tasting, and a pitcher of sangria, along with the picnic lunch we brought along. They offer live music on some weekends as well.

Date of experience: May 2018
wecrushred, Owner at Third Hill at DeMello Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2018

Thank you for the review, we appreciate it. Hopefully you can visit us when the weather is nicer.

Reviewed February 7, 2018 via mobile

Winery with mostly dry wines, so probably a better experience if you’re into dry. Relatively new tasting room, it’s beautiful and would’ve been a great place to picnic if it wasn’t snowing the day we went. They were super helpful recommending other wineries close by and very friendly.

Date of experience: February 2018

Thank you for your review, hopefully you can and will return when the weather is better, it’s beautiful in the Valley spring, summer, and fall.

Reviewed December 18, 2017 via mobile

Beautiful winery with great customer service. We bought the white wine, after a few taste tests. Owner was very sweet.

Date of experience: December 2017
wecrushred, Owner at Third Hill at DeMello Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2017

Thank you for your review, it means a lot to us, and we appreciate the time you took to write it. We love what we do, and love to share our passion with our customers.