“Reversed a disappointment”

Magnolia's at the Mill
Reserve with OpenTable
Magnolia's at the Mill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 43 Restaurants in Purcellville
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 23rd
“Reversed a disappointment”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Several months ago my wife and I celebrated a special event, our 30th anniversary, at Magnolia’s. This was our first visit, recommended by a close friend. Not being what I expected from such a well spoke of establishment, I created a post describing that our experience was a little disappointing. Not long after I created the post, I received a phone call from the manager that I spoke to at the restaurant, Raymond. He extended his sincere apologies for the disappointing service and invited us back by mailing us a voucher. The other day, my wife and I returned to Magnolia’s with my mother to celebrate her 85th birthday. The staff and managers were extremely friendly and the food was much more than what I anticipated. I am very pleased that Raymond took the time to contact me and make an attempt to correct what he knew was unacceptable by their standards, and prove to me that this was not their usual service. I can now say that I will definitely return to Magnolia’s and recommend that everyone enjoy the food and staff as we did this last visit. Thanks, Magnolia’s for changing the way I felt after my first visit.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Darkrayder

“Charming and unique atmosphere with a touch of cold.”
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

The food here is wonderful! The atmosphere is unique and, would be so much more enjoyable if the heat would be turned up! Seniors and arthritis sufferers, save this place for a summertime visit. I will repeat, the food here is spectacular they just need to raise the inside temperature!

1 Thank Windishore
Orlando, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,642 helpful votes
“Amazing Filet Mignon!!!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We went there for Dinner on a "gloomy" Saturday night but even the weather could not make this meal a bad one. The service was excellent, the atmosphere and decor absolutely unique and the company and food even better. I'm a Filet Mignon fanatic and can comfortably say that this is in the top5 places I have had a filet this good in my life. Tender and cooked to perfection with great side items like mash potatoes, asparagus and amazing delicious mushrooms! My wife had the shrimp and grits, a Southerner fan's favorite and said it was done "The Proper" way and one of the best she has had ever. With two house Cabernet the meal was right around $90, pretty good value for such great and tasty food...Two thumbs Way UP!!!! :)

1 Thank Steve R
Alexandria VA
“Great atmosphere, good food”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Had lunch here on a cold, blustery November day - entering the warm, faintly wood-smoke scented, welcoming restaurant was a great transition. My friend had a salmon entree salad, I had the trout special for the day. Both were very good. We also each had glasses of a Virginia Chambourican, reasonably priced and very good if a touch warm. Cellar temp vs room temp can make a difference. Service was good. An overall enjoyable lunch.

1 Thank SBS50
Round Hill, Virginia, United States
“Go for drinks, eat somewhere else.”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We moved to western Loudoun in 1999. We were so excited when Magnolia's came to Purcellville. It had a great beer and wine selection and an interesting, changing menu.

Unfortunately it seems their monopoly on upscale dining for so many years eroded their desire to try.

The beer and wine continues to be solid. However, as more restaurants have entered the picture, many servers have left and service is spotty at best. Service aside, I can't decide if the worse issue is the dirty plates/glasses/silverware or the food!

We decided to give them one last try for my birthday dinner for four on 10/24. A Thursday night they were also hosting one of their popular wine dinners - where I suspect they get their flow anymore. Our server was new and while she seemed to try to be pleasant, she was less than helpful at times. My husband's salad never arrived and her only response was that she would take it off the bill. At the end of the meal when I informed her that my au gratin potatoes were not cooked (crunchy raw) she simply said she would tell the kitchen.

I have written the manager before, almost pleading for them to return to the good, reliable restaurant they once were. I was informed a gift card awaited me at the hostess stand - which I declined. With Savoir Faire, the arrival of the Wine Kitchen, IJ Canns and Velocity Wings, we have several other options now. I hope Maggie's pays attention and does something to fix their game.

At this price point you are better off going to another restaurant willing to try harder. Sans children the Wine Kitchen cannot be beat - service to die for as is the food and at a better price overall.

• Visited October 2013