WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Catoctin Creek Distillery

Catoctin Creek Distillery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Catoctin Creek® Distilling Company was founded by Becky and Scott Harris in 2009 as the first legal distillery in Loudoun County since before Prohibition. We are located in Purcellville, Virginia, in the heart of the Loudoun Valley. Loudoun County, often called D.C.'s Wine Country, is home to more than twenty vineyards and wineries, and it now has a distillery.At Catoctin Creek, we believe in high quality food and spirits. Organic means higher quality: grain and fruit, sourced locally when possible, free of pesticides and chemical additives that would come through in the spirits we produce. Sure, it is more difficult to produce organically, but the results speak for themselves.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Bowie, Maryland, United States
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Well worth the drive!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

We live in Maryland, so it took us a bit more than an hour to get to the distillery. I'm glad we went. We really enjoyed our visit to CCD. Scott, and his wife Becky, gave us a tour of the distillery, and Scott really went in depth explaining how the different spirits are made. Their new facility is beautiful and has plenty of space.

After the tour we enjoyed a taste of the three spirits they make.

Scott is a great host and I definitely recommend a stop there if you are in the area.

They also have t-shirts, hats, etc. for purchase and you can buy their spirits as well. They also offer tasting flights and cocktails made from their products. Once you finish at the distillery, there are small shops and restaurants located nearby.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank KPR18

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome whiskey experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We came by on Saturday to visit and learned that it was actually their opening day in this new location. The facility itself is beautiful, and from what I gathered from others today it is leaps and bounds above their old location.
They are now offering mini cocktail tastings in sets of three, which we were told is a new experience. This "premium tasting" was $10, and I absolutely feel that it was worth it. The staff made the drinks in front of us and gave us cards with the recipes to take home. I tried a Manhattan, a "Bloody Mosby" (their version of a Bloody Mary), and a Negroni, so I got to taste all three of their spirits in a drink. My friend tried the Bloody Mosby, a Horse's Neck, and a Col. Langdon that uses maple syrup that was aged in their used whiskey barrels. All of them were quite tasty.
We didn't have time to take the tour, which is offered hourly, but we were able to see about 20 people on the one at 1pm. We will certainly be back to visit again and take the tour.
I'm not sure what the earlier poster was talking about. The spirits are smooth and mixed well in the drinks. I tend to frequent higher end cocktail bars in DC and found these products to be of high quality.
I'd highly recommend visiting Catoctin Creek and checking out their historic building and trying some mini cocktails.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank CarloVonS
Ashburn, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Skip the wine. Drink Whiskey instead.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

If your making your way through northern Virgina or live in the area this distillery must be on your list. The tour is fascinating as I learned so much more about the process than I expected. Everyone there is passionate about what they at doing and as nice as can be.

They actually allowed us to host my baby shower at their old location. My friends just loved it and I loved an amazing Gin and Tonic after the baby was born.

Make this a must do the next time you are in Western Loudoun.

Visited April 2013
5 Thank DebraF29
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Think Global....Drink Local! Great family business”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I brought my entire family after Thanksgiving 2012.to the distillery for a tour and was warmly met by the distiller and very informative staff. I think that I learned more in that one tour than in my four years of High School chemistry! Not only about the distillation process but also that this production has almost zero waste, with the mash going back to the farm! The ladies were very friendly, helpful! They offered samples and had product to buy right on site! Their brandy was Outstanding! I had heard that they were opening up a local tasting room. I'm sure that it's going to be a huge hit! I would highly recommend this as a site to any local folks who have out of town visitors or people coming from out of town who would like to see how the distillation process takes place. I will definitely visit again.

Visited November 2012
5 Thank Chuck I
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fun Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

What a fun experience to hear all about making whiskey in Virginia. Tasty, too! We bought several bottles to take home. Can't wait to see their new facility on Main Street. We'll be back soon.

Visited June 2013