“We stop there whenever we can”

Goose Creek Farm and Winery - Otium Cellars
Houston, Texas
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“We stop there whenever we can”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Some of the wines are great and others not so much. Rating a vineyard on how their wines taste is very subjective. It could be that my tastes are very different from everyone else in the county. All I can really judge is the experience I had when going for a tasting. Was it a nice place? Was the staff attentive? A winery should be judged on a scale from "I am going to come here every weekend!" down to "How is this place still in business?" Otium Cellars is good enough to go back to, but not every weekend.

Visited June 2013

San Mateo, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Otium Cellars - Bold & Beautiful Wines!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Visited Otium Cellars for the first time in March 2013. I've been to 80+ VA wineries, and Otium is now one of my favorites. They have 3 whites for tasting and many more reds. Being a bold red drinker, I was very impressed! Tasting was $10, and wines were ~20-35...some may be less.

I was so excited to find a VA Pinot Noir. Unfortunately, their first batch will also be their last. Visit now before their deliciously earthy Pinot Noir bids its farewell! They had other varietals that you just don't see in VA...and they're delicious: Blaurfranisch, Dornfelder, Pinot Noir. Located in a quiet part of Purcellville, they have a quaint and serene tasting room perfect for enjoying one of their many tasty bottles.

I visited 3 other vineyards that day, and was so upset that I didn't just stay at Otium instead - no one else compared! I will be coming back soon.

Visited March 2013
Strasburg, Virginia
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“New Winery, and it shows”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I decided to skip a tasting and just sit and have a glass. Wary of my budget I opted for the 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon which was over a dollar less than the 2011. The steward suggested I go for the 2011. I didn't and I regretted it. The 2010 was okay. I paid for it, I drank it but it was disappointing. It wasn’t like I hadn’t been warned so that’s on me.

The service was friendly and accommodating but the glasses the wine was served in were awkward and I was very glad it was only my first glass or I could see it easily being wasted.
This winery is beautiful and shows great potential once they get things "tweaked". I think I will wait to go back.

Visited January 2013
Reston, Virginia
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Nice new winery waiting with a variety of wines”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

It's a little hard to find but it is worth the trip. It's located on a farm with horses. Some of the wines are German. They also have a nice malbec. They are fantastic. They have seating and wonderful foods to enjoy as you sip a bottle of wine. It is a wooden tasting room with a fireplace to satisfy that rustic appeal. We ended up buying 2 bottles of the German wines and took some eggplant dip to go. The dip is wonderful and is all eggplant!
Our pourer (Max) took off the price of one of our tastings since we bought 2 bottles. We frequent the wineries in the area and this is one we will definitely return to.

Visited December 2012