“Meats are very good, sides no better than average”
Review of Smoking Willy

Smoking Willy
Ranked #7 of 43 Restaurants in Purcellville
Cuisines: American
Bluemont, VA
“Meats are very good, sides no better than average”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We go to Smoking Willy regularly, most recently last night, and judge the meats to be very good--especially the turkey breast--but the sides are not as good as the meats. And their best side--baked potatoes--is no longer available, sigh. The wait staff is good, although last night I got the impression they were trying to move us along outta there. They seemed to be using lunch time speed during what should have been a relaxed evening meal.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank TMine

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Average BBQ”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Based on the paperwork from my trip to Smokin Willy, I have to say the whole thing was pretty average. The dining room itself was nice and clean and the waitstaff courteous and nice.

A half a rack of ribs was $17 and for that I expected more than dry, underseasoned meat. They got a 3 out of 5 stars according to my paperwork. The pulled pork platter also received 3 stars and lacked seasoning.

The sides were a bit better. The potato salad received 3.5 stars, the coleslaw 3, the mac and cheese 4.5 and the green beans 2.5. The funny thing about the green beans is they were not green beans, they were sugar snap peas, prepared like green beans.

Finally, the sweet tea, which cost $2.50 was rated at 4 stars.

Overall, average bbq.

• Visited May 2012
“Almost there.”
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

I've visited this place twice and I'm still unsure of what type of restaurant they are aiming to be.

The food is ok. Not outstanding but ok. The portions are small and a bit overpriced. They also serve several draft and bottled beers but only certain staff members can actually deliver them to the table due to age restrictions, so, beverage service is rather slow.

I've never left Smokin' Willys totally unsatisfied but I grew up on NC BBQ, ribs and sides. No doubt the place is doing better than the restaurant that preceded it in the same location but its not at the top of my list in Purcellville.

Give them a try, see what you think. They do deserve that much and can only get better as a result.

Fairfax, Virginia
“No Better than Average”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was a nice little BBQ restaurant in downtown Purcellville. I'd like to give it another try but if you base your opinion of a BBQ restaurant on brisket as the main indicator, Smoking Willy fell way short. This meat was still too tough to indicate that it had seen enough time on the heat. Three sauces were offered. The sweet was a good BBQ sauce, the hot was too hot for it to be enjoyable to me and the tangy was so runny and vinegar-like I just didn't get it. The sides were all much better and service was excellent.

• Visited September 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
“Worth the drive to Purcellville”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Had lunch on a Saturday with friends who live in the area and had tried Smoking Willy's once before. The barbecue was great and we were very glad we had ordered the smaller portion. Salads are made in house and the coleslaw and potato salad were great. Cornbread was more like cake than any we had had before. The burgers were given high marks also. Even though we shouldn't, we did have dessert which was very good. The staff were great and did not mind us sitting and talking after we ate. Would definitely go back and have already recommended it to friends. Not NC, but better, as far as this Virginian is concerned.

• Visited September 2012