“Not Bad”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pounding Mill
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Not Bad”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Nice hotel located just outside of Richlands, VA. Room was clean and comfortable. King size bed was firm. Nice breakfast in the morning. My one complaint was that the room A/Heater made a lot of noise and each time during the night it would kick on it would wake me up.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for the taking the time to let us know about your most current experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites located in Claypool Hill, Virginia. Our goal is to meet your needs from a clean comfortable room to friendly staff and I can see we did that.

The HVAC units are controlled by the air temperature and they will continue to turn on and off throughout the night to make sure the temperature does not very from the setting that you had set. I am truly sorry that this woke you up throughout the night. We will look into extra noise that the unit made each time it turned on.

Again thank you for your posting and I do hope to see you back if your travels takes you through the Claypool Hill, Virginia area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The property appears rather new and in good shape. The check-in was friendly, although the assigned room did not match my preference requested in the reservation (I am a platinum PC member), so I asked for another room. The room I got was also in good shape, but it was full of bugs. There were between 15 and 20 ladybugs crawling and flying all over the room! Reported the problem to the front desk and was told they were aware of the problem, but could do nothing to prevent the ladybugs from getting into the hotel at this time of the year. The front desk provided me a mini vacum cleaner and suggested "I simply suck them up". So after a long day and an even lengthier drive I spent the next half and hour vacuming the bugs. It seemed I was done, but they kept coming from behind curtains. When I inspected closer I was able to see a whole "nest" of them behing the curtains. I like ladybugs when I meet them in nature, but to have them all over your room is rather annoying. I then returned the vacum cleaner to the front desk and told them about the nest. The lady did apologize and asked if I wanted to change rooms. Had it not been late and nad I not already unpacked everything, I would have done so. But then again, would changing rooms mean that I would have to "suck them all out" of the new room by myself as well? You can imagine I did not sleep very well with all these bugs in mind. I do think there should be a way rooms could come without the ladybug self-vacuming option.

Room Tip: Avoid the property in "ladybugs season".
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
First of all I would like to thank you for being a loyal customer of the Holiday Inn Family of Hotels as a Platinum member.

Our goal is to meet your needs from a clean comfortable room to friendly staff and I can see we did that for the most part accept for the lady bug issue. We have been in contact with our pest control company to find a way to eliminate these bugs from getting into the hotel. The only time we see these bugs are the fall of the year. We are working hard to find a solution.

I am truly sorry that our staff member gave you our handheld vacuum to vacuum them up. I am glad to see that our desk staff member did apologize and offered to move you to another room. I fully understand your reason for not moving to another room late in the night. All I can tell you is we are working with our pest control company to find a solution to this isolated issue.

Thank you for expressing your concerns and I hope this does not prevent you from trying our Holiday Inn Express in Claypool Hill, Virginia if your back in the area.

Travelers are raving about these Pounding Mill hotels

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Had some work in Cedar Bluff, and this came up on the map. So happy to be able to stay at an HIE. This hotel is one of the smallest HIE I've stayed in, but it has one of the largest breakfast areas. Unfortunately, I had to stay in a smoking room (all booked up), but was pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't smell too bad. The staff was very friendly, and the room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was great and there was plenty of it. This place is a little off the beaten path, but was a great place to stay for the night. Not many options for nearby food, but the Wendy's was a quick 5 minute walk from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, October 25, 2012

Again thank you for the comments and look forward to seeing you again if your travels take you through the Claypool Hill, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This hotel is the nicest of the two name brand hotels in the area. The room was quite clean as was the rest of the hotel. The breakfast was quite good and I loved the ice cold milk. While I did not eat the pancakes from the automatic pancake machine I found that to be quite nice. The only problem I had with my room is that I could not get the fan on the air conditioner to stay on all the time and only seems to work in auto mode even though there is a button for low and high speed in addition to the auto mode.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank drrosenthal
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, September 24, 2012

You can enjoy the hot breakfast which includes the signature cinnamon roll by Holiday Inn Express and the new pancake option, which we get excellent comments on how good the pancakes are.

We are looking into the programing of the HVAC system in each guest room.

Again thank you for the comments and look forward to seeing you again if your travels takes you through the Claypool Hill, VA area.
Gambier, Ohio
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed two nights for a local family reunion. Had a "non-smoking" king room. The room was clean, the service was excellant and had a very good breakfast selection. Will stay there again. A suggestion to the Hotel: Make your entire Hotel "Smoke Free"!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites located in Claypool Hill, Virginia.

We take pride in our hotel and I can see we met your needs from a clean comfortable room to friendly staff.

The Holiday Inn Express breakfast program gives everyone many options to choose from. You can enjoy the hot breakfast which includes the signature cinnamon roll by Holiday Inn Express and the new pancake option.

Regarding “Smoke Free” facility. We have discussed changing the hotel over to a “Smoke Free” Hotel and at this time we are still monitoring this issue.

Again thanks for the comments and I hope to see you again if your lodging needs take you back to the Claypool Hill, Virginia area.
central Virginia
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Went on a Church Mission trip; few choices nearby, but we were treated well. Rooms were clean, well-kept, and quiet. One visitor used the fitness center, each tried the breakfast, and all slept well. This one's a potential repeat.

Room Tip: BOOK EARLY This place fills fast for being where it is.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
I would like to thank you for staying with us on your most recent visit to the Claypool Hill/Richlands Area, Virginia Holiday Inn Express.

We take pride in our hotel and I am happy to hear that we met your expectations for a comfortable stay while visiting us. I hope your visitors had a good work out in our fitness center and maybe next time you will have time to use our indoor pool and hot tub.

As you stated I hope to see you again if your future lodging needs takes you through the Claypool Hill/Richlands, Virginia area
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The place smells like an ashtray. The employees are great and the facility itself is nice, but the non-smoking rooms still have the faint smell of cigarette smoke, and the hallways wreak with smoke. It's really unfortunate that this hotel has not gone smoke free.

Room Tip: I had a king with sink, fridge and microwave. Nice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Sara L
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful cooments regarding our staff and your overall opinion that we have a nice hotel.

Regarding the smoking issue. We have considered going to a non-smoking hotel but at this time we feel economically we cannot be done at this time. We continue to monitor the current conditions if we feel that we can convert to an all non-smoking hotel. Our smoking section is located on our top floor, all in one section.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pounding Mill
#1 of 1 in Grundy
Super 8 Lebanon
Super 8 Lebanon
#2 of 2 in Lebanon

Been to Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill? Share your experiences!