“Great Steaks”

Cuz's Uptown Barbeque
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lebanon, Virginia
“Great Steaks”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We arrived early on a weekday afternoon and there was no waiting (a rarity here.) Our friends visiting from Florida were surprised with the atmosphere. Yes, it's a converted (and rebuilt a couple times) barn.

Several of us ordered the ONE POUND Filet Mignon. It was perfectly cooked to our specs. This is the very finest beef we have every eaten. If you like steak, THIS is the cut you want. $25, I believe. A bargain!

One of our friends ordered their renowned Prime Rib and asked for it medium rare. It arrived very well done! The server happily took it back and returned quickly with another cut medium rare. It was excellent.

I had the "Asian Noodles". This is purported to be a seafood dish, with noodles. It was very tasty and had lots of noodles. Not so much seafood. A few modest size shrimp, a couple little scallops and a few bits of other fish. I wasn't impressed. Probably would not order it again.

One of our friends asked the server about the barbeque. The server cautiously suggested avoiding it. "The worse BBQ I've ever had." (Oops. Hope the owners don't read this.) Our friend took her advice. I can't comment on it. We've been here just a few times and never tried the BBQ and not sure I ever will now. Maybe I'll ask for a "taste" next time.

Be certain to check their website (www.cuzs.com) for dates they are open. They close for the winter months and generally are open only Wednesday thru Saturday. But check before going. And try to avoid the busy times or you'll likely have a long wait time.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank ClinchMtnMan

Pounding Mill, Virginia
“Second Class Citizen”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Aweful. I've never been so insulted at a restraunt. There is no sign outside referring to dress code but apparently you cannot wear a hat. I wouldn't have imagined a place that is 30 different pastel colors would have a dress code stricter than any casual dining restraunt. Perhaps the tears in the seats of several of the boths just add to the charm to some, but not to me.
I was informed at the greeter's station that hats were not allowed at the tables. Upon being seated, away from the main dining area by the owner, I overheard a conversation were it was stated, "They come in a lot on Saturdays" by staff.
If I had known about the rule beforehand it would not have been a problem. I just happened to wear a baseball hat today.
In the past, I worked in a restraunt for several years. I have never made anyone feel like a second class citizen and imaging I would have been fired if I did so. As a guest of any restraunt I always tip well, I am polite, and in general dress well (aside from today's hat). I have not been to this restraunt since last year but I will say I will never be back. The food has been good in the past but nothing I would write home about. Service in the past has been on par with other restraunts as well given I was always dressed in a shirt and tie. No food is worth this insult however. I left Cuz's to the sight of a few of the staff along with the owner (suspected) standing and waiting as if they expected us to leave. This is no way to treat people and not the action of one person, but many at the same time in a coordinated effort.
I never write reviews and generally let things go. I felt like this was above and beyond however not due to the rule, but the classification and treatment by staff as being different. I thought others should know.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Insulted14790
Bluefield
“Significantly worse than last year”
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Took family for son's birthday. Had to wait a long time to be seated, not because there were no seats, but because the owner neglected 12 people at the door to talk to someone about their cabins. Apparently too chintzy to hire someone to seat people. Placed us next to a large group of about 30, who were very loud and ruined any chance of conversation. Waitress was horrible. Not friendly. Not attentive to needs of table. Did not advise us of price differences in potatoes we ordered. Food was ok, not as nearly as good as in previous years. Portions are much smaller than previous years and prices have increased about $4.00 per item, including appetizers, from last year. So you get less food at much higher prices and the food is not cooked or prepared as well. Quite frankly, I wished I had went to an Outback, and I am not a fan of Outback, but the food would be cheaper, bigger portions, and much better. And staff would actually address problems and not consistently treat you like they want to give the middle finger to all customers.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank brookiefly
Ripley, WV
“Go for everything but the food”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

The atmosphere here is wonderful. Quirky look of the place is charming. The wait staff is very friendly. The catfish my son had was rather good. The bread brought to the table was good as well. After that, it goes downhill. When a place is described as specializing in "barbeque" I expect good food. Cuz's did not deliver. The eclectic menu should have been my first clue that something was amiss. I've never been to a barbeque joint that served beef steak in a red wine reduction. I ordered the BBQ "three way" and knew I would hate it as soon as it was placed before me. I noticed no one at any nearby table had BBQ. The pulled pork resembled a soup, the beef was unidentifiable, and the ribs looked like they had soaked in sauce for a week. The taste was reminiscent of the juice from baked beans cut with vinegar. My wife was unable to finish hers. All this being said, the place was packed and the steaks on the other tables look fantastic. I may go back, but it will be when I'm craving something other than BBQ. The prices were not exactly reasonable either. My wife and I had just had dinner a week before in an upscale restaurant whose prices were cheaper.

• Visited April 2014
Clintwood, Virginia
“Celebrating 29 Years of Marriage”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My wife and I decided to travel the 1.5 hours to Cuzs for an Anniversary dinner.Its was a Saturday night so we knew to arrive by 5 or prepare to wait for a table.We were seated immediately and were amazed at the entree and appetizer selections that had been added since our visit two years ago.I ordered the smoked ribeye,baked potato and salad with homemade bread included.My wife ordered the crab cakes with french fries and salad.Cuzs continues to be worth the travel and expense of a fine eatery,great atmosphere and friendly staff and patrons.

• Visited March 2014