“Lecker! Very authentic & generous portion (lecker = yummy)”
Review of The Bier Garden

The Bier Garden
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bier Garden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 193 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: European, German
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Being native German I usually don't eat often at German restaurants in the U.S., I have been disappointed too often. My husband was drawn by the beer selection so we went anyway. The outside biergarden is small but cozy. Ceiling fans and the clear roof protected us from the elements on this wet and muggy summer day.
The kids were disappointed that the wait staff didn't speak German when they ordered in German but we didn't truly expect that. The food was outstanding. I thought that there was plenty to choose from on the menu, nice selection of typical German dishes. The only thing that was "Americanized" was the possibility to choose your sides. Loved it! No such thing on German menus. You get what you get in the Fatherland.

The kids ordered from the kids menu and their portions were very generous, could have easily fed an adult. The french fries that they choose as their side were the best I have ever tasted. We had the Spezial Kaese Spaetzle (with fresh pan fried mushrooms in addition to the onions) and the Schnitzel Sub, both outstanding. Couldn't have been any better or more authentic in Germany. There was no room for desert ;-( and being the "only German" who doesn't like beer I can't attest to it, but my husband was very pleased with the ones he tried.

The only thing missing was some oompa music. That would have made it absolutely PERFECT!

P.S.: The name is "The Bier Garden", not the "Brier"Garden. Tried to send it in as an improvement here on tripadvisor, hope they will listen ...

Reviewed July 28, 2014

great food, knowledgeable staff, pet friendly patio, even non-alcoholic beers for the pregnant ladies/DDs,

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We were immediately seated and served quickly on a Summer Saturday afternoon for lunch. We started with a pretzel - delicious - served with German mustard. We all had a selection of the wursts - very good as well. The sides - choices include red cabbage, spatzel, sauerkraut, fries among others - are authentic as well. Having lived in Germany for 4 years I can vouch for this being the real deal. And you can choose from about a hundred beers! Reasonably priced.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I was there on an early Friday evening, the place was busy, was not that crowded. The kitchen staff was obviously having trouble with catching up. It took 45 minutes for the guy sitting next to me to get his sausages, and 35 minutes for me to get my schnitzel. The food was vey good, but it would have been better if it was a little more timely.

They say thet they have 350 different beers from all over the world, but they run out of the one I ordered after the first mug.

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We happened upon this little gem as we were just looking around the ghent area for somewhere to grab a bite to eat with two children. Couldn't have picked better, they were accommodating and had a great menu, very cosy and easy going atmosphere. Our waitress tiffany attended to our every need, I had the bier garden burger and it was mouth watering. Nice prices and speedy service, will definitely go back.