“O Thank Heaven, Back to reality!”

Lobscouser Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 194 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2014

After spending the week in Baltimore MD working a trade show and eating overpriced Baltimore seafood, I suggested to the wine queen that we head to Lobscouser. Boy, am I glad we did!

In Baltimore, I was paying $36 for a decent bottle of wine. We got decent wine at Lobscouser for $12 per bottle. Not fancy stuff, but quite drinkable.

We asked for a 6:15 reservation. They allowed as how that would be tight as they had a large reservation coming in at 6:00, but they would do their best. We arrived two minutes late and they seated us within 60 seconds. I have absolutely no complaint.

Available parking on High Street is very iffy, by the way. We don't even try anymore. We take the side street just to the west, Court Street I believe it is and usually find a spot immediatley.

We started off with a cup of the soup de jour. Cream of asparagus. Excellent! I think it was $2.75 for a cup.

The queen ordered fried oysters. That entree was priced at about $17 as I recall. I know they were good as I sampled one of the 13 on her plate.

I ordered the crabmeat Portsmouth. It's a healthy portion of crabmeat blended with sauce, thin slices of tomato (not overpowering), bacon and cheeses. I left nothing behind. And the price ... $17.

The sides were good. They must have run out of bread as they served hush puppies. We saw bread being delivered later on. No harm. The puppies were very good.

We got there in time for the $9 early bird specials, but rarely opt for that as the regular entree's are very good, and favorably priced. That's why we pass several other good seafood restaurants on the 35 minute trip to get there.

Rachael was our server, and fortunately for us she has a good sense of humor. She can banter with the best (or worst, in my case) of us.

Looking forward to the next visit.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

My wife and I have eaten here several times and have NEVER been disappointed with the quality, quanity and value for our meals. Consistantly, good!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We have been here several times and never had a bad meal. The prices are reasonable, service is good, staff is friendly. What's not to like???? It is always busy at dinner so it is best to make a reservation. It is a little small but we will continue to go here as it is one of our favorite places to eat.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Better food, less expensive, quieter! We ended up here after learning of the hour + wait at the chain. We were very happy with the quality and quantity of the food. The Hushpuppies are fabulous. Every dish, we were a party of 6, was great. Even the biggest teen boys were full. Skip the house wine...boring. Service was fine but nothing special. Decor is ok but the food was great and we enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I was in Portsmith for a weekend convention. Lobscouser was recommend by a friend from the Norfolk area, so I made a 6:30 p.m. reservation on Friday night. Arrived at the restaurant at 6:35 p.m. The place was packed. We were asked to wait. We waited for about 20 minutes, but it was worth it. It turns out that there is an early bird special and that's why the place was packed at an early hour on a Friday night. After we were seated, the place emptied out and remained quiet for the rest of the night. The women who greeted us and the server were not the friendliest people, but they got the job done. We ordered the crab dip appetizer. It was very tasty. I suggest you stir the dip before eating it. The crab is on the bottom. I had the seafood special that day and my friend had the prime rib. The seafood was excellent!!!! If there is blackened catfish on the menu, I highly recommend it. The seasoning was perfect. Shrimp and scallops were also included w/ the special. My friend's prim rib was tasty but a bit overcooked for medium rare and difficult to cut. All in all the meal was fantastic. We saw desserts go by but were stuffed. Must save room for dessert next time. Our dinner bill, which included a glass of wine, was around $55. What a bargain considering the amount of feed we ate. If the greeter and server were a bit more friendly, I would have given this place 5 stars. Don't let that stop you from checking out Lobscouser for dinner. I would go again. PS the hush puppies were the best ever.