“Fabulous little place”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 22, 2013

If you want a cozy experience with fabulous food, this is the place for you! Everything from the cheese plates to drinks are amazing. The waitstaff is great. The desserts are to die for and the scallop dish is outstanding. Thank you so much for such a great establishment in Portsmouth!!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were told by the Rennaisance Hotel staff to check this place out and they were spot on. While a little away from the downtown it was well worth the trip. A different menu based on the sean made for a unique dining experience. Th "kim's bubby gump shrimp and grits" was not overwhelmed by the grits and the herbs and seasonings made it a taste experience. Our waiter was attentive and excellent without being too intrusive. When we made our reservations we told the staff that we we were taking a taxi from our hotel as we were visiting from out of town. Little did we know that we were speaking to the owner / chef, Sydney. When we arrived he came over to our table to make sure that we were enjoying everything and, because we we were eating later than most other patrons, offered to give us a ride back to our hotel. Above and beyond as far as service and food.

Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Portsmouth is not a great place to dine, live, play or breathe, but GO NAVY. This place is the most overrated place I have been in years. We got reservations at bar, they are very busy, BUT, I don't get the excitement. You walk in and think you are at a taxidermist. Stuffed heads from everywhere and look like they have the mange..
We ordered vegetable number 1 that tasted like dish water and scallops that were gritty. A friend ordered filet and was very happy, so may be a meat and potato place.. Good service in a lousy place.. $200 for four people in this place is a joke.. I can think of many, many places that would leave this place in the dust at that price.. I gave atmosphere average and really would not have even got out of the car for this place if not for friends.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

A birthday, an anniversary, any special event....Stove is the perfect location for the celebration. The restaurant offers great ambiance for such an outing. The food is fantastic and the service is great. My wife and I enjoyed a recent Saturday night out at Stove. A bit of a road trip from Va Beach, but well worth the drive. We both enjoyed the specials offered that evening, me a steak with blue cheese and sweet potato fries, my wife the flounder with a decided southern/Cajun flare. For dessert we shared a glass of port and the Salty Dog, a delicious dark chocolate tart with a dash of sea salt for good measure. This will no doubt become a return event for us. Soon I hope.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I had a couple of martinis each and shared a cheese plate and a bowl of squash bisque for starters, then a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, the Wild Caught Barrimundi and the Redfish Creole special entrees.

The martinis were very good, the relish accompanying the cheeses was outstanding, the bisque was thick and chunky but a bit bland. The Barimundi was to die for but the Redfish dish didn't work for me; a nice thick filet was buried in a very spicy "sauce" (almost a veggie stew) without any melding of flavors and with large chunks of underdone bell pepper and onions.

Service was friendly but a bit distracted, with a couple of long stretches between waiter sightings. The atmosphere was casual classy and the place was packed early on a Wednesday evening. It's in an old house and looked very clean, but we did see a couple little roaches scurry up the wall.

All in all we had a very enjoyable evening. The bill was $170 before tip, most of which was four martinis and a bottle of wine ;-).