“Perfect spot for a special event”
Review of Stove

Stove
Ranked #10 of 189 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Richmond, VA
“Perfect spot for a special event”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

A birthday, an anniversary, any special event....Stove is the perfect location for the celebration. The restaurant offers great ambiance for such an outing. The food is fantastic and the service is great. My wife and I enjoyed a recent Saturday night out at Stove. A bit of a road trip from Va Beach, but well worth the drive. We both enjoyed the specials offered that evening, me a steak with blue cheese and sweet potato fries, my wife the flounder with a decided southern/Cajun flare. For dessert we shared a glass of port and the Salty Dog, a delicious dark chocolate tart with a dash of sea salt for good measure. This will no doubt become a return event for us. Soon I hope.

• Visited November 2012

Oriental, North Carolina
“Great little restaurant in the old section of Portsmouth”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I had a couple of martinis each and shared a cheese plate and a bowl of squash bisque for starters, then a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, the Wild Caught Barrimundi and the Redfish Creole special entrees.

The martinis were very good, the relish accompanying the cheeses was outstanding, the bisque was thick and chunky but a bit bland. The Barimundi was to die for but the Redfish dish didn't work for me; a nice thick filet was buried in a very spicy "sauce" (almost a veggie stew) without any melding of flavors and with large chunks of underdone bell pepper and onions.

Service was friendly but a bit distracted, with a couple of long stretches between waiter sightings. The atmosphere was casual classy and the place was packed early on a Wednesday evening. It's in an old house and looked very clean, but we did see a couple little roaches scurry up the wall.

All in all we had a very enjoyable evening. The bill was $170 before tip, most of which was four martinis and a bottle of wine ;-).

va
“Superb dining”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Cute restaurant in residential setting; only 12 tables; went on weekday night; very cozy and ecletic; food was DELICIOUS! prepared to order, had Squash soup, Fish and vegetables.
Everything was tasty. Highly recommend

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Eccentric, delicious food with spunk!!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I dined here tonight for the first time! Mike was our waiter and did a fantastic Job! He helped us pick our dishes fantastically! My guy had the large plate of tenderloin so moist no need for a knife(cooked med/rare) delicious sauce was prepared with it! Such a good cut of meat! I however am opposite and a vegetarian. They had several delicious choices to choose from for me! I decided upon veggie #1 a hearty mushroom meal over grits and the most yummy sauce I've tasted! It had cooked tomatoes and homemade onion rings on top! Just simply wonderful! We started with the cheese plate choice of pimento cheese served with crisps and smoothie bear ham and sweet pickled! Superb! I enjoyed a glass or torrentes, one of my favorites! We finish our most awesome meal with a sweet potato cheesecake! My guy liked it a lot! I found it a lil strange that they pair sweet potato dessert with a citrus glaze! But it was still good! We really enjoyed ourselves tonight, as we don't get date nights often! Everything was perfect!! We will be back! Oh yes and the decor kept us entertained and in a sense laughing the whole time! Very outgoing, eccentric, and unusual! But fantastic in All aspects!!

Suffolk, Virginia
“First visit and very impressed”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife decided to try this after purchasing a coupon and we were more than satisified with the experience we received. They have two different portions and even the small portions are quite fulfilling. The flavors were excellent in all of the dishes we tried. All of the vegetables are fresh and many of the ingredients are from local merchants. We WILL go again!