“A surprising gem”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I checked into this hotel not really expecting much other than a standard Marriott property. I was mistaken. From check-in until check-out the service was exceptional. The hotel clerks were very accommodating and friendly. The first night I ate in the hotel bar and was surprised at the level of service that was given. The waitress saw that I was in between choices and suggested a significant modification to a menu dish. It was exceptional. She stated that they were able to do most modifications and that was not to far out of the norm. A+ for her customer service.

The rooms were very comfortable and the views delightful. I have to agree with a previous poster that the walls are very thin and I also felt that my neighbor at times was in my room. Fortunately they went to sleep prior to me so it did not disturb my rest.

The rooms are well maintained and clean. I also had the opportunity to talk with the maid, also very customer service oriented, and she was able to take care of my needs as well.

I think really what makes this place so stellar is the excellent CS. In all the years of traveling and numerous hotels I have stayed this would have to be my number one choice for customer service. I would highly recommend this property. Thanks for the great stay!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed March 29, 2010

I was here for a conference last week. The hotel is LOVELY. The customer service is excellent, from check in to check out. The meeting rooms were perfect. The food was good, a bit pricey but not bad for the level of the hotel...I expected it.

I was booked into room 1721, which was on a high floor and at the end of the hall....PERFECT FOR ME! My view was wonderful. I was so excited!
The location is perfect for poking around in shops or taking the ferry.

When my neighbors arrived, I could hear their conversation IN MY ROOM. I actually did a double take as I thought there might be someone in my room. I could also hear their phone ring...plainly...in my room. NOT WHAT I EXPECTED FOR THIS TYPE OF HOTEL.

I always sleep with ear plugs, so sleeping was not a problem. The bed and sheets were wonderful.

It just took me off guard for a hotel as nice as this...to have such thin walls.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2010

My friend and I stayed at this hotel Saturday & Sunday night for the Shamrock Marathon that was taking place in VA Beach Sunday morning (March 21-22). Let me start by saying my friend and I got the hotel via Priceline, so I can't really comment on the "value" for other people...for us, it was a great deal! Also, we are pretty easy going people, and are decently easy to please, but we really couldn't have been much happier with this hotel and our room. We had a nice room with a beautiful view of the harbor. The front desk staff were all wonderful. Overall, it was a great experience and the perfect hotel for our race weekend! The dinner and hot tub in addition to the soft bedding were perfect for resting before our race and recovering after the race.

I will break out some of the details below...

CHECK IN - we got to the city early and called about early check in...the front desk was friendly and told us no problem, they had rooms ready. When we arrived, the lady was very friendly and gave us a room with a view of the harbor on a high floor...at the end of the hallway! A perfect location in our opinion (great view, and no traffic past our door to wake us up in the middle of the night).

ROOM - the room looked just like the photos online...even down to the striped carpet. It was a pretty standard room for a hotel of that level...nice view, normal amenities - except we were pleasantly surprised to find a mini-fridge! The bathroom/shower was nice. The bedding and pillows were incredibly comfortable.

SERVICE - The front desk was always friendly and helpful. They have a mini shop down there that had some surprising items that really were perfect for our needs - namely Gatorade and sunscreen. When asked if the desk had silverware we could use for our takeout, they offered to run some up to our room.

FOOD - The room service menu seemed a bit limited, but we think maybe we were missing a page from our book-thing. Namely, there were no deserts listed, except for kids. No biggie, as we decided going down to the bar to eat would encourage usage of the hot tub on the way back to our room :) My friend had a salad that she deemed "great" and i had an amazing cheeseburger. It tasted like it was grilled on an actual grill, and the cheese! YUM! One note: The menu is limited before 6pm when the restaurant opens. Apparently it is pretty much the same menu in the restaurant and room service also.

POOL/FITNESS/HOTTUB - Well, since we were in town for the marathon, we did NOT use the fitness center, but we did check it out. Looked pretty good, and the cardio equipment had personal TV's which is always an A+ in my book. The pool/hot tub area was tidy and had an ample supply of towels. The hot tub was really deep! It was INCREDIBLE! Nothing could have hit the spot better than that hot tub after a great dinner as a post-race recovery! Also, there is a nice balcony off the pool area. The view was beautiful!

INTERNET - Internet IS available in the hotel for a fee, but we were able to pick up on a weak wi-fi signal that served our purposes. I would definitely plan on paying for internet if you had to do actual work or look up anything important.

PARKING - Parking is $10/day in the hotel parking garage...but TIP TO WEEKEND TRAVELERS!!! There is a public parking garage and on-street parking that is FREE on the weekend! The garage starts charging at 6am Monday morning, the street meters at 8am. Be sure to let the front desk know you will not be using the parking garage in advance to avoid the issue the earlier reviewer had.

RANDOM INFO - there is a visitor center next to the hotel...you can get info and trinkets there. The ladies working there were VERY friendly! Also, there is a ferry that leaves every half hour from the dock next to the hotel and brings you across the water...apparently right to a bunch of restaurants. We didn't take the ferry but were told it is only $1.50 each way. The trip to VA Beach was REALLY easy! Basically get back on the highway and go east until the end. We drove on off-times, but it was pretty fast too.

Can't think of much else now...we are hoping to post some pics soon.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2009

The lobby was gorgeous, the staff was very cordial. Only complaints was that there was no fan or vent in the bathroom, and we had extra guests...ants....on the 14th floor! Not just 1 or 2, but many. I woke up in the middle of the night with one on my arm.
The menu was not updated and the extensions given were either not working or incorrect (ie. checking out via TV...not working...telephone...not working.) The room was pretty, very well decorated, and a nice view. Great for the price, our stay was short, otherwise we would have asked for a different room.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2009

Fabulous accommodations, VERY expensive restaurant (wish it was also very good). Beautiful expansive views of the busy Elizabeth River, with Waterside Mall across the water in Norfolk, easily reached by the low-priced passenger ferrry. Just minutes by ferry from the Norfolk baseball park. So what was wrong? The front desk manager preferred to (he admitted to me in person) double-bill rooms on more than one credit card whenever he could get away with it. Then he laughed at me for catching him at it. Marriot International (the franchiser) made amends and finaly returned my money. The parent company was apparently not at fault, just one crooked employee. Watch your credit cards there, though.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank djlovindan
DOSMPortsmouth, Owner at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candor and feedback. We take these comments EXTREMELY seriously and were concerned when we were notified of your posting. We have spoken with the managers on duty during your stay and think that something may have been taken out of context. Our staff indicated that their light-heartedness may have been misconstrued. It was never their intention nor the policies of the hotel/company to double charge guests. As a branded property that routinely tests highly in all accounting and financial audits, I’m sure that you’ll agree that we would never purposely set out to do this or condone it.

I am afraid that there was a huge misunderstanding and would love the opportunity to personally discuss this with you. Thank you for contacting us. If we can be of further assistance, please contact us at the property.

Reviewed November 10, 2009

We had a delightful stay at The Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel. The service from the doorman, reception and portering was excellent. All staff were very friendly. The interior design throughout the hotel was very elegant . Rooms were very clean and comfortable.We were well accommodated while staying there with our baby and extended family.
In terms of our dining experience in the hotel restaurant, we felt that the value for money could have been better; the quality of food was fair at best and service was slow. We would highly recommend this hotel as a place to stay for a few nights while exploring Portsmouth and Norfolk, but there might be better dining elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
DOSMPortsmouth, owner at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2009

DublinSammy,

Thank you for your feedback. We love our hotel and our historic location in Olde Towne Portsmouth. We hope you had an opportunity to see some of the amazing little shops, restaurants and old homes that make up our quaint seaport town. I am truly sorry about your dining experience and hope that you'll give us another try. We are working everyday on improving overall service and quality...and will use the feedback to address with our team. If you ever find your way back to Portsmouth, please reach out to us. Thanks

Reviewed November 9, 2009

I read the other reviews in Trip Advisor and wonder what they were looking at regarding the staff and service provided. I found EVERYONE at the hotel attentive and friendly. Even with a football team arriving for the last night of our conference, the staff did not skip a beat. They did EVERYTHING possible to make our conference successful. They were present throughout the conference and set-up was done early and effectively. Even when we needed to switch rooms and move chairs, NO ONE complained or made it a problem. They simply went about their tasks of getting things done. I would have liked a refrigerator in my room but found out that there was a $5 charge for that. However, that was a minor inconvenience. I would suggest that refrigerators be added to the rooms. My stay was for five days, and it would have been nice to have a cold drink waiting in my room for me. All in all, the Renaissance Portsmouth exceeded all of my expectations. I would definitely recommend it for medium-sized conferences (300-400) like ours. All went well for EVERY day of the conference. My kudos for a job well done by the satff.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business

scarletman1972,

Thank you for a wonderful review. We take great pride in our hotel and love hearing the kudos from our team's hard work.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hilton Norfolk the Main
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Quality Inn Olde Town
Quality Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!