“Beautiful Hotel, Outstanding Service”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Richmond, Virginia
“Beautiful Hotel, Outstanding Service”
Reviewed July 5, 2006

This hotel was quite a suprise! A pleasant suprise. Hotel is five years old, but looks and feels as though it was built this year. Clean and fresh throughout the facility. Staff from the front desk to the housekeeping staff aimed to make you feel like a welcomed guest. They were professional and courteous. The hotel has a definate "wow" factor due to its location on the Elizabeth River (rooms have a view of the water). They were clean, crisp, comfortable and quiet! The common areas are well appointed and richly decorated to give you a high-end hotel feel.

Breakfast in the hotel restuarant was well above average. Buffet with made to order eggs/omlets and an extensive buffet. ($11.95) Service prompt.

Overall great proximity to the Olde Town portion of Portsmouth and a short ferry ride ($1) to downtown Norfolk (Waterside shops/Nauticus Museum). Great location, great stay...definate recommend for singles & families.

5 Thank CJVA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 10, 2006

This hotel was a great steal, cheaper than other hotels in Norfolk, and of higher quality. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, but could be a bit more knowledgeable about tourism in the area. The location was great, across the river from Norfolk, a 4 min boat ride to downtown Norfolk. It was easily accessible from the highway and it is located in a quiet area. Not much to do in Portsmouth, but cute historic area and a few good restaurants. The hotel was nicely decorated and the rooms were very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank HotRodri
Reviewed May 16, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel for a romantic getaway and we were so pleased that we are in the process of planning another trip back. From the moment we checked in (ask for Crystal) we were given the most professional, courteous service that we've ever experience in checking into a hotel. Everything was explained to us in detail, the parking was explained (upfront) and she made sure we had everything we requested upon our arrival. Contrary to what some have said about the ashtrays and the smoke in the lobby, we did not see or experience any of that. We had a beautiful King bed on the 17th floor and the view was out of this world! You have to remember..the hotel is located right next to the Ferry dock and on the waterfront, so of course.. you are going to hear noise and people enjoying themselves from time to time. If you are there to enjoy yourself then you are not at all disturbed by these things that exactly make your trip more pleasureable because you also get to travel across the water to another well known spot called " Waterside" here in our city. They have great food, music, shopping stores and other enjoyment to meet anyone needs. If you are looking for comfort, cleanliness, and a beautiful waterview come and enjoy yourself, if not.. keep looking!

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank precious1
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed March 12, 2006

I stayed here during the Christmas holiday.This is a beautiful hotel. But I have to say the service I received here was horrible. And this is the first time I experience this level of service at ANY hotel chain . When I checked in I was given a smoking room with no ash tray and only one bathrobe per room when 2 guests were staying there. I thought of this as no big deal until I called the front desk and requested to have another bathrobe and ashtrays brought up. Neither of these requests was satisfied when I returned to the hotel later that evening on the first night. In fact I had to go downstairs to the front desk to receive an ashtray and he informed me that they only give out 1 bathroom per room. This was odd especially staying on the concierge level.
> The second day before I left my room I called front desk to have my linens changed and more towels. When I went past front desk I also reminded them of the request as well. When I returned later that night this request was NOT fulfilled at all. The bed looked the same. I then went downstairs again to complain about this mishap and I was given 2 options nonchalantly, I could be given new sheets to change my self or I could move all my belongings to another room of the same type for my inconvenience. I choose the latter and with that I hade to move in the middle of my last night at he property to another room with no help with my belongings.
> The very next day before checkout, I went down to the Concierge Lounge to enjoy the breakfast. I was not greeted by a very unfriendly Concierge. There was no food ready due to it was 40mins until closing. After waiting around she finally brought SOME items out and a hurried fashion and in a rushed demeanor pretty much gave my guest and I the feeling of "Get your items and go, so I can close" Saying things like Are you getting any more". As you can see my experience here was at best HORRIBLE especially during my Christmas vacation.Such a shame though such a pleasant hotel SHOULD have the same caliber of service.

• Stayed December 2005
1 Thank Ninob2006
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed December 15, 2005

This was my first (and last) stay at this particular hotel. I agree with another reviewer re: difficulties in getting there through the tunnel, but that's not the hotel's fault. I found the staff to be rather disinterested in their jobs, especially in treating a Marriott Rewards Gold customer. The parking cost was not an issue for me, since nobody bothered to ask me -- or charge me! (such careless revenue leak is sign of poor management). The room (on the concierge floor) was quiet but rather average, with furniture that seemed to be recycled from an old Holiday Inn. The room was not decorated to more recent Renaissance standards, and it was in serious need of renovation, with dirty paint and wallpaper. The room had ample AC outlets, which is usually a concern for me. The bed was comfortable. $10 for internet access is average for full-service hotels, and it worked OK so no complaints there. I found the Concierge Club rather disappointing, with a breakfast service no better than the free breakfast at a Hampton Inn. The afternoon social hour service was also uninspired, with generic cheese cubes and a grocery store tray of vegetables. The liquor prices at the Club were outrageous, $6 per drink ($8.50 for "top shelf" drinks) -- and that's for self service! The lobby area was very attractive, that is, if you have no issues with the fog-like cigarette smoke wafting out the bar area. Restaurant service was dismal. The food was rather disappointing and did not match the description in the menu, and the waitress (the only one!) was friendly but did not speak enough English to make it worth my energy to complain. Overall, thanks, but I'll stay somewhere else next time. Courtyards may not have full service, but you usually get what you expect and not get disappointed like the case was here.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank Mooneydriver
virginia
Reviewed November 4, 2005

Stayed for 2 nights for a conference. My experience with the staff was great. They were all very helpful from the front desk (ask for Lakisha!) down to the housekeepers. No breakfast included, and the lobby snack shop was astronomical ($2.63 for a bottled water)-BUT the vending machines had bottled sodas and water for $1.50. I think the parking garage actually belongs to the city of Portsmouth and spaces are actually rented by the hotel (explains the parking on level 2-5 and $10 fee per day). The water taxi was great-takes you right over the the Norfolk waterfront for $1. Stops running at 9:30pm on weeknights but a cab back was only $9. Great views from the hotel-either side you're on is going to give you views of the water. My only beef had nothing to do with the hotel-it was the boats that were honking at each other at 4am...

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank mdcrim
Maryland
Reviewed October 16, 2005

Just returned from an overnight stay. Staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were a comfortable size, very clean and nicely appointed. We had a room with 2 Q beds and the room was very comfortable. The location is great for getting into Norfolk without driving. There is a passanger ferry that runs very 1/2 hr and costs $1. It stops close to the hotel as well as the Waterfront Festivel area in Norfolk. The breakfast buffet does not have eggs or waffles to-order but the selection on the buffet is very nice - $11.95 I recall. You can also order from menu. I did not experience the negative posted reviews. Parking is $10 or $14 for valet per night. I don't agree with having to pay for parking but it seems to be the standard now for "city" places. (The Marriott Waterside in Norfolk charges $24) You can check out of the hotel at noon and leave you car until later in the afternoon on the day of departure. Overall, more than satisfied.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank Cannotfindscreenname
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown
Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!