“Nice for the price, not the extra guests...”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
D.C.
“Nice for the price, not the extra guests...”
Reviewed November 29, 2009

The lobby was gorgeous, the staff was very cordial. Only complaints was that there was no fan or vent in the bathroom, and we had extra guests...ants....on the 14th floor! Not just 1 or 2, but many. I woke up in the middle of the night with one on my arm.
The menu was not updated and the extensions given were either not working or incorrect (ie. checking out via TV...not working...telephone...not working.) The room was pretty, very well decorated, and a nice view. Great for the price, our stay was short, otherwise we would have asked for a different room.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
central Virginia
Reviewed November 10, 2009

Fabulous accommodations, VERY expensive restaurant (wish it was also very good). Beautiful expansive views of the busy Elizabeth River, with Waterside Mall across the water in Norfolk, easily reached by the low-priced passenger ferrry. Just minutes by ferry from the Norfolk baseball park. So what was wrong? The front desk manager preferred to (he admitted to me in person) double-bill rooms on more than one credit card whenever he could get away with it. Then he laughed at me for catching him at it. Marriot International (the franchiser) made amends and finaly returned my money. The parent company was apparently not at fault, just one crooked employee. Watch your credit cards there, though.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank djlovindan
DOSMPortsmouth, Owner at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candor and feedback. We take these comments EXTREMELY seriously and were concerned when we were notified of your posting. We have spoken with the managers on duty during your stay and think that something may have been taken out of context. Our staff indicated that their light-heartedness may have been misconstrued. It was never their intention nor the policies of the hotel/company to double charge guests. As a branded property that routinely tests highly in all accounting and financial audits, I’m sure that you’ll agree that we would never purposely set out to do this or condone it.

I am afraid that there was a huge misunderstanding and would love the opportunity to personally discuss this with you. Thank you for contacting us. If we can be of further assistance, please contact us at the property.
Dublin
Reviewed November 10, 2009

We had a delightful stay at The Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel. The service from the doorman, reception and portering was excellent. All staff were very friendly. The interior design throughout the hotel was very elegant . Rooms were very clean and comfortable.We were well accommodated while staying there with our baby and extended family.
In terms of our dining experience in the hotel restaurant, we felt that the value for money could have been better; the quality of food was fair at best and service was slow. We would highly recommend this hotel as a place to stay for a few nights while exploring Portsmouth and Norfolk, but there might be better dining elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
DOSMPortsmouth, owner at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2009
DublinSammy,

Thank you for your feedback. We love our hotel and our historic location in Olde Towne Portsmouth. We hope you had an opportunity to see some of the amazing little shops, restaurants and old homes that make up our quaint seaport town. I am truly sorry about your dining experience and hope that you'll give us another try. We are working everyday on improving overall service and quality...and will use the feedback to address with our team. If you ever find your way back to Portsmouth, please reach out to us. Thanks
Virginia
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I read the other reviews in Trip Advisor and wonder what they were looking at regarding the staff and service provided. I found EVERYONE at the hotel attentive and friendly. Even with a football team arriving for the last night of our conference, the staff did not skip a beat. They did EVERYTHING possible to make our conference successful. They were present throughout the conference and set-up was done early and effectively. Even when we needed to switch rooms and move chairs, NO ONE complained or made it a problem. They simply went about their tasks of getting things done. I would have liked a refrigerator in my room but found out that there was a $5 charge for that. However, that was a minor inconvenience. I would suggest that refrigerators be added to the rooms. My stay was for five days, and it would have been nice to have a cold drink waiting in my room for me. All in all, the Renaissance Portsmouth exceeded all of my expectations. I would definitely recommend it for medium-sized conferences (300-400) like ours. All went well for EVERY day of the conference. My kudos for a job well done by the satff.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
scarletman1972,

Thank you for a wonderful review. We take great pride in our hotel and love hearing the kudos from our team's hard work.
Lynchburg, VA
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at the Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel. Our room was located on the 14th floor and had a gorgeous view of the river and downtown area. It was modern and clean; all around a fantastic hotel. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2009

The Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel is a very good value for a weekend getaway. The rooms in the hotel face the water, have very comfortable beds with lovely comforters and are of generous size. Hotel staff are very friendly and helpful with good dining suggestions and information on area attractions. The weekend rates are very reasonable for a quality room.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
anywhere anytime
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I checked into the Renaissance Hotel on a Friday for what started out as a one night stay, i was given a very nice room at a very good rate however the following morning is when things when array. The following morning I was awoken to the sound of housekeeping knocking on the door to clean the room around 11am. I asked them to come back later on as I was still sleeping which they did around 12am or some time shortly after. Around 2am I proceeded downstairs to the front desk to extend my stay for one more night, and was given a new room key and assured that I was good to go. Upon leaving the hotel I took my laptop bag along with the laptop and left my traveling bag in the closet containing a few clothing items and a pair of shoes.
I returned to the hotel around 11pm that night only to find that someone else was in my room, I immediately returned to the front office desk to be informed that my room was given to another guest and that what items were left in the room were turned over to housekeeping. However, only my shower bag was turned over not my traveling bag containing my clothing. The supervisor that night was very nonchalant in his response about the situation and merely tried to push me off to the morning crew to handle. I was given another room free of charge that night and in the morning I contacted the local police and filled out a report as well as a report with hotel security.
What most disappointed me was the reaction of the general manger of the hotel questioning me as if I was a suspect and not the victim. He went on to question me story looking for flaws or inaccuracies as if I would lie about having a bag. He found it hard to believe that two of his employees one of which cleaned the room and the other who Q&A the job could have both reported the same thing, that there was no traveling bag present. His attitude was shared by the insurance company who was contacted to handle the claim, who also informed me that it was my fault for leaving my bag in a room regardless of the fact that I had extended my stay for another day. I can only assume that the insurance companies’ attitude about the situation was based on the general managers input.
In closing I would like to state that I have 17 years of faithful service as a Naval Officer in the United States Navy. I have been forward deployed to various dangerous and life threatening locations around the world so that others would not have to, I find it appalling that my integrity was taken into question and that the situation was not immediately rectified.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank mygirlrae76
DOSMPortsmouth, Director of Sales and Marketing at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2009
Dear Sailor,

Thank you for your comment and review. As you know, we take Tripadvisor comments seriously and are concerned about your experience. We've discussed the situation with our department managers and general manager and are fully aware of the night in question. We are incredibly sorry that our housekeeping department knocked on your door at 11am/12pm; however, our records indicated that you were due to check out at 12pm and didn't notify our front office or housekeeping departments until 2pm.

Unfortunately, our records didn't indicate that you were staying over another night, and, your room was cleaned as if you had checked out. Our housekeeping department and manager didn't think that anything was out of the ordinary; as we have several guests that forget to pack items when leaving. When guests discover that items are lost or missing, it is our policy to fully investigate the situation, conduct key lock audit reports and secure written statements from our associates. The items remaining in your guest room were removed and catalogued by our housekeeping and loss prevention departments, then returned to you that evening. Unfortunately, we could not verify the lost items and 2 employees have signed written affidavits stating that your suitcase was not in the closet. When we inquired about the estimated value of your loss, you replied with a dollar figure that required our Insurance Company's involvement. At that point, it is there determination alone for the amount of reimbursement. It is our understanding that we offered a complimentary guest room-valued at $189.00 that evening while we processed the paperwork. Thank you for your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!