“It's a very modern hotel that is conveniently located with a gorgeous view.”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at the Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel. Our room was located on the 14th floor and had a gorgeous view of the river and downtown area. It was modern and clean; all around a fantastic hotel. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 24, 2009

The Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel is a very good value for a weekend getaway. The rooms in the hotel face the water, have very comfortable beds with lovely comforters and are of generous size. Hotel staff are very friendly and helpful with good dining suggestions and information on area attractions. The weekend rates are very reasonable for a quality room.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I checked into the Renaissance Hotel on a Friday for what started out as a one night stay, i was given a very nice room at a very good rate however the following morning is when things when array. The following morning I was awoken to the sound of housekeeping knocking on the door to clean the room around 11am. I asked them to come back later on as I was still sleeping which they did around 12am or some time shortly after. Around 2am I proceeded downstairs to the front desk to extend my stay for one more night, and was given a new room key and assured that I was good to go. Upon leaving the hotel I took my laptop bag along with the laptop and left my traveling bag in the closet containing a few clothing items and a pair of shoes.
I returned to the hotel around 11pm that night only to find that someone else was in my room, I immediately returned to the front office desk to be informed that my room was given to another guest and that what items were left in the room were turned over to housekeeping. However, only my shower bag was turned over not my traveling bag containing my clothing. The supervisor that night was very nonchalant in his response about the situation and merely tried to push me off to the morning crew to handle. I was given another room free of charge that night and in the morning I contacted the local police and filled out a report as well as a report with hotel security.
What most disappointed me was the reaction of the general manger of the hotel questioning me as if I was a suspect and not the victim. He went on to question me story looking for flaws or inaccuracies as if I would lie about having a bag. He found it hard to believe that two of his employees one of which cleaned the room and the other who Q&A the job could have both reported the same thing, that there was no traveling bag present. His attitude was shared by the insurance company who was contacted to handle the claim, who also informed me that it was my fault for leaving my bag in a room regardless of the fact that I had extended my stay for another day. I can only assume that the insurance companies’ attitude about the situation was based on the general managers input.
In closing I would like to state that I have 17 years of faithful service as a Naval Officer in the United States Navy. I have been forward deployed to various dangerous and life threatening locations around the world so that others would not have to, I find it appalling that my integrity was taken into question and that the situation was not immediately rectified.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank mygirlrae76
DOSMPortsmouth, Director of Sales and Marketing at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2009

Dear Sailor,

Thank you for your comment and review. As you know, we take Tripadvisor comments seriously and are concerned about your experience. We've discussed the situation with our department managers and general manager and are fully aware of the night in question. We are incredibly sorry that our housekeeping department knocked on your door at 11am/12pm; however, our records indicated that you were due to check out at 12pm and didn't notify our front office or housekeeping departments until 2pm.

Unfortunately, our records didn't indicate that you were staying over another night, and, your room was cleaned as if you had checked out. Our housekeeping department and manager didn't think that anything was out of the ordinary; as we have several guests that forget to pack items when leaving. When guests discover that items are lost or missing, it is our policy to fully investigate the situation, conduct key lock audit reports and secure written statements from our associates. The items remaining in your guest room were removed and catalogued by our housekeeping and loss prevention departments, then returned to you that evening. Unfortunately, we could not verify the lost items and 2 employees have signed written affidavits stating that your suitcase was not in the closet. When we inquired about the estimated value of your loss, you replied with a dollar figure that required our Insurance Company's involvement. At that point, it is there determination alone for the amount of reimbursement. It is our understanding that we offered a complimentary guest room-valued at $189.00 that evening while we processed the paperwork. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed July 3, 2009

I didn't realize in all my stays in the Hamptons Roads, there was a good side to Portsmouth. Nice surprise! Beautiful building and amazing lobby...rooms were nicely done as well. Swimming pool and jacuzzi on the 3rd floor with outdoor balcony that viewed the night skyline was a treat. Situated in Historic Portsmouth with quaint restaurants and views of the Elizabeth river from your room. Didn't want to leave. Only fault, traveling out of Portsmouth through the tunnel! UGH! 30 minutes regardless of the time of the day!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
DOSMPortsmouth, Director of Sales at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2009

Hi

Thank you for a wonderful review. We are truly excited that you had a chance to explore our hotel and historic community. If you're planning a trip back to our area, please don't hesitate to call.

Reviewed May 19, 2009

I stayed for three days at this hotel. My company had me stay there. I arrived on a Monday afternoon. Hotel is tucked into a small area, but upon entering it appeared very nice. I checked in and recieved my room keys and was told of the parking garage which is shared by the hotel and other paying individuals who work in town I guess. I go to park my care in the garage and only floors 2 and 5 are for hotel guests. Then after parking on level 5, I entered the elevator to find that there is not connection to the hotel and you have to go all the way to the first floor and walk back into the hotel and all the way around the front desk past the restaurant, bar, and media center to the elevators then up to my room on the fourth floor. I was a little hungry after the drive and decided I'd order room service. I called and a young lady answered, and I placed my order for a Black Forest Ham club sandwhich. After a short wait I am told that the menu I have is no longer in effect and that a more current menu would be brought up to me. I asked if there was a similar turkey club or sandwhich only to be informed that she didn't know. That is odd. You are taking my order for room service but you don't know what is on the menu but you are sending one up to my room? Fifteen minutes pass and the menu arrives. Its the wrong menu! I was brought a breakfast menu. By now, I'm starving so I just give up and walk down town on High Street to a local deli called Gossport Deli. There a very nice young lady fixed me up a sub that was wonderful! So, I retuned to my room and decided I'd like a cup of coffee. I go to make coffee but when I look at the coffee cups they have some oily sheen on them, not clean! So, I wash my cup and make my coffee. Next morning, I discover I didn't bring anti-perspirant so I call the front desk and I'm told that they have it for sale in the lobby store. I get dressed and walk down to the store and guess what, they don't have any!!! I get an apology from a nice lady at the front desk but by then, I'm just ticked off and tell her all of the other issues I've experienced in the short span of less than 12hrs. She apologizes and write all the things down. That afternoon I get a new up to date menu for dinner and clean coffee cups. I have to say that I did have room service and it was good. Pricey but hey, its room service. I also ate in the Foggy Point hotel restaurant and their fish and chips as well as their club sandwhich are great. The last morning before I left I was in the bathroom and discoverd four ants streaming down my bathroom wall. Probably scouts looking for something. Anyhow, I was glad it was my last day there. For less money I've had much better service and better rooms. If I were paying the tab, I would be looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank jhubbard

Dear Guest,

Thank you for detailed review of our property. As always, we are striving to provide great service and an exceptional stay...and, it looks like we may have dropped the ball. On behalf of the owners and my fellow hotel managers, please accept my sincere apology. Your critique of our property has led to some significant changes in our front office area and we appreciate your patience. If there is anything that we can do to make your next stay with us enjoyable, please let us know.

Reviewed April 29, 2009

I stayed here for a conference and the facilties were amazing. The staff was particularly helpful with many requests. The hotel is easy walking distance to the downtown/oldtown area of Portsmouth with many excellent restaurants (my favorites are Cafe Europa and Still).
This is a good alternative to Norfolk which is just a fun water ferry ($1) away.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank jegolf

You're right! The Elizabeth River Ferry is a perfect way to see Norfolk and historic Portsmouth. If you're planning another trip to Portsmouth, please let us know!

Thanks

Reviewed September 1, 2008

Booked this over the Marriott website very easy. Arrival was a wee bit hairy coming through the Norfolk tunnel, but once you turn into old town Portsmouth it's like going back in time. Arrival was fine pulled up out front and the Valet wants to hold your keys while you check in..... do NOT like that at all. after I checked in the Valet was missing and my keys were not to be found I really DID NOT like that..... Self parking is $10 and the garage is attached to the hotel..... Room on the 8th floor had a wonderful view of the river and the Norfolk sky line. Room was clean, no refrigerator, has a regular drip coffee maker. The work out room is adequate no dumbbells but has machines and cardi equipment. Nice hotel, nice staff, great breakfast. I would stay here again.... next time I would not give my keys up to the pimply faced valet....

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank a1scuba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hilton Norfolk the Main
Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!