“WONDERFUL PLACE - STAY HERE”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I HAD A TOUR GROUP IN HERE, 40 people, over Azalea Festival weekend - I chose it for it seemed the most affordable of the really upscale Norfolk/Porstmouth hotels, the central location, and the views. I WAS DELIGHTED. the group sales department was very friendly and competent. I confirm everything many times and all went perfectly. The hotel is lovely and clean, the staff super-friendly and attentive and well dressed, the public areas grand and inviting, the front desk very polite and helpful, the breakfast buffet was a huge hit with my group members and i found the food excellent and vairied - and a view of the navy yard from the windows. The room was beautiful and CLEAN, the maid service was prompt and excellent. View from the room spectacular. I have owned a tour company since 1980, and stayed in many hotels, and have had all sorts of experiences in them - from fabulous to disasters, as you may imagine. This place was great and I certainly would look forward to a return there with a group. I got no complants anything - not of the distance from the front entrance to the desk and on to the dining room and then elevators from my very elderly folks. The elevators, by the way, are amazingly punctual - no long waits as in many high-rise hotels. There was a free web/access computer with a large screen in the lobby that i used frequently, and there is free wifi from the very comfortable lobby (someone in my group said that they got free wifi in their room by chosing "lobby" from the wifi menu when they were in their room, but I don't know about that for sure). I read all of the bad reviews of this p[lace as I aleays do, and I would't pay any attention to them - some hic cups in the maid service I guess and those other issues mentioned certainly were not in evidence when I was here in April ('14). All of the construction problems vis a vis the access to Norfolk are FINISHED and, no, there are no tolls on that tunnel. The hotel is steps away from beautiful historic Olde Towne Portsmouth and right on the Elizabeth River Esplanade with spectacular views of the Norfolk skyline and the Portwsmouth Navy Yard for pleasant strolls. I recommend the Cafe Europa in center Portsmouth for a great high-end dinner.

Room Tip: ask for a room high up on the north side of the tower
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. We are delighted that your stay with the Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel was enjoyable.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Attended conference and was very pleased with this hotel. Great view of Elizabeth River, staff was very pleasant with clean hotel. Lincoln suite was a huge room for the price. Extremely pleased! Had plenty of towels, large TV and good work area separate from sleeping area.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We are delighted that your stay with the Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel was enjoyable.

Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

My rating is generous, and assumes my experience must be unusual.

The building's location is very nice. It's in downtown Portsmouth, right on the water. The room decor is also very nice.

My room, however, has a bad smell. Like sweaty clothes after a long, hard workout. I asked the front desk to come up to my room and spray. I don't know if they did, but it still has a bad smell.

The restaurant's food is decent. I ordered dinner, but evidently my order was lost, so I didn't get any food for dinner. I had to leave for an appointment so I couldn't wait for my order to be remade. But they did comp my meal when I returned, so I was quite pleased about that. Kudos to the restaurant manager.

I'm wondering if my room is subpar because I bought it through Priceline.com... Can anyone out there email me some Lysol?

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank UncleMiltieDC

On behalf of Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel management and staff, thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay. Look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is a beautiful property! I attended an event here and the service was top notch. Even if you are attending an event in Norfolk, VA I would recommend this hotel as it is a short commute (less than 3 miles to Norfolk. It is a waterfront property where you can see views of the City of Norfolk. Also impressive views of military ships, as it sits next to the Shipyard. There is a Naval Shipyard Museum nearby. Breakfast was delicious and you could again be seated over-looking the water. Reasonably priced. I've stayed at this property twice and was equally impressed both times.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a hotel review and sharing your experience at the Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel. Our management and staff strive to ensure our guests experience the best visits possible during their travels. Look forward to delighting you on your return trip!!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

I stayed one night at this hotel and was very impressed.
Warm welcome by the staff, nice lobby, but more important, beautiful room, beautifully designed, very elegant, liked very much the colors. I got a very quiet room with wonderful sea view.
The mattress and pillows were very comfortable.
Ths atmosphere is calm and relaxing. The staff is extremely nice. Ordered a room service which came very quickly, was very tasty and for a reasonable price.
Breakfast was ok. Personally I would prefer a bigger choice and would consider buying an espresso machine for a much better coffee quality.
Enjoyed my stay a great deal.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with the Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel! Hope you will select us on your next visit to Portsmouth. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments concerning your recent and/or future stay

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel on many occations, but yesterday, I had a bad experience from beginning to end. After the 1st night, i decided to stay one more night. I booked the reservation, then went downstairs to change my my credit card info. Wow, it was so confusing how they do this "extra charge" for incidentals. Keep in mind, I have been a Marriott rewards member for how long? Yet, there is still this distrust "charge" which makes things so confusing. On top of it all, if you are out of town and they "hold" this money on your credit card, or even worse, your debit card...you are SOL if you think you will have those funds to use while on vacation. You won't see that money for days on your credit card, and sometimes for weeks on your debit card. Anywho, finally everything was straightened out and I went on to try and enjoy my day.

Later that night, I went to the pool. It was a disaster! It was filthy...a total mess. I used the phone inside the pool area to call and let the staff know, and the phone didnt work. So, I went to the fitness room to call from there, and that phone wasn't working. I preceded to get on the elevator and exited on to the 4th floor to call on the ohone by the elevator, and that phone wasnt working. I had to get back on the elevator and go back to my room on the 9th floor. I call the front desk from my room, and I told them about the condition of the pool area, how many times I tried to call but the phones didn't work, and that I needed towels. The lady at the front desk said that she will notify someone. I went back to the pool, and waited. 30 minutes went by and still noone came to clean up or provide towels. That was such a bad customer experience. I love the area, but I don't think that I will ever return!

• Stayed: March 2014
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. We are sincerely sorry that your stay with the Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel was unenjoyable.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. Hotel management has discussed the issues mentioned to the responsible parties! We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Spouse stayed at this hotel on buisiness. Visited for aweek to see him. The hotel is a gem. Situated on the Elizabeth River with great waterviews. Staff and managers were always friendly and helpful. As a business stay they us feel at home and welcome. A lot of Southern Hospitality. Rooms are spacious , comfortable again with great views. Portsmouth old town is a quaint place to walk to and explore. The indoor pool hot tub and gym are a great asset to hotel.Hats off to Keith, Gwen, Derrick, Ike, and Alees and others for a great stay

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

I’m Darnell Smith, Front Office Manager at the Renaissance Portsmouth Waterfront Hotel. On behalf of Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel management and staff, thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Look forward to delighting you again in the future!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hilton Norfolk the Main
Quality Inn Olde Town
Quality Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth
Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!