Walking the long hallway between the front desk and the elevators in this large hotel is like passing thrugh a palace. The restaurant has a good view of the Elizabeth River and was nice enough to give me lunch though it was five minutes before closing time.
Since I am a Marriott Rewards member, I was put on the concierge floor (16), which was nice as it had a special lounge room for concierge floor residents that offered breakfast and snacks and drinks in the evening. The room was fine.
The staff was OK and one front desk gentleman was particularly nice, even giving me complimentary parking based on the fact I was driving a hybrid car. However, my room had a view of the shipyard part of the river, not the Norfolk city view that I thought (and my records show) that I had booked. I was charged as if I had the city view. Staff at the desk were not helpful about it, saying only that the Website would have indicated it and I could wait until one opened up. Unfortunately, I did not have my printed record with me to show them but I will be sure to have it next time. Also, when I checked out, the lady was going to charge me for parking until I insisted that I had been granted comp parking earlier.
All in all, you get what you pay for here - elegance and fine views, but be careful to establish the details of your stay early, bring hard copy proof of your reservation and remember the names of staff who offer any kind of discount.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blending traditional elegance and modern style, our waterside Norfolk, VA area hotel in the historic downtown district of Olde Towne Portsmouth provides calming comfort and soothing relaxation. The Renaissance Portsmouth hotel boasts a hip location overlooking the vibrant, revitalized waterfront and offers stunning views of the Elizabeth River. Set above the harbor, the Portsmouth Ballroom's unique outdoor terrace, part of the 24,000 square feet of Norfolk area hotel meeting space, provides a stunning reception area sure to draw rave reviews from your guests. This updated luxurious Norfolk, Virginia area hotel also features 23 meeting rooms including a 70-seat Amphitheater. Savor the atmosphere of this waterside hotel in Portsmouth at Foggy Point Bar & Grill, presenting a selection of fresh seafood. Visitors to the area can enjoy the unique experience of taking the nearby water taxi across to many of the Norfolk business and visitor destinations including the Norfolk Naval facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Marriott, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Priceline, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel And Waterfront Conference Center
- Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel & Waterfront Portsmouth