“Perfect location”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was a perfect location for a family vacation, conference, business meeting or just a getaway. The view was amazing, watching the sun rise and set on the water. Someone got married out by the water while we were there. The hotel was in walking distance of restaurants and local shopping. The area was too crowded or noisy. The customer service was good as well. Everyone was friendly. We plan on coming back to the area and staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
ChrisJ537, General Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear Sheila3940,
Thank you for your review and staying with us. The Renaissance has much to offer. We do have a great location and very close to downtown and many restaurants. We do have a great staff and views are outstanding.
Thank you again for staying with us.

Come back soon and travel safe,

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We use this hotel as a weekend way station on our way to Myrtle Beach. The weekend rates are reasonable for a hotel this nice with these kind of views. The front desk staff have been courteous and engaging when we checked in, The views from the hotel really are worth checking out. Ask for a room on some of the upper floors for the best view. My only complaint is that it is a long walk from the parking garage to the front desk.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear jeff h,

Thank you for your comments and taking the time out of your day to write the review. We do have great views and great people that work for us. The walk to the desk is not your traditional walk, I agree. I have to field this comment from time to time. This is not your traditional hotel lay out. The hotel is beautiful and unique. The hallway leading to the front desk has water views and over looks where the ferries run on one side and the other are photos from Portsmouth's past. It is about 30 yards long. Jeff h I have to put things in perspective because what is a “long walk” to some may not be to others. When some readers see “long walk” the measurement is different for each person. I am not attacking your review, just trying to make sure future guest doesn’t get turned off before they get here.

Thank you for your review and your business.
Travel safe and hope to see you soon,

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

I usually stay at the Waterfront Sheraton in Norfolk but decided to change it up. The Renaissance has a nice fitness facility, bar, and rooms. Right outside you can catch the ferry to Norfolk or you can walk to High Street for great restaurants. The only negatives are the trip through the downtown tunnel during rush hour and the $15 breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear TownsendRC,

Thank you for your comments. We are a great place to stay even if you plan on activities in Norfolk. The Ferry is a very economical way to travel, $3 dollars round trip and only about 8 minutes of travel. Downtown Portsmouth does have some great places to eat. All non-branded restaurants with their own character. I wished I could help out on the traffic part but rush hour is rush hour even in Portsmouth.

To future guests that are reading the review, to get to Portsmouth you have to experience bridges or tunnels. During rush hours, traffic can be heavy. Please plan accordingly. I apologize for our short fall in service from time to time and if we are in the wrong position I will admit it.
The $15 breakfast buffet is a value. I know people get sticker shocked when they see $15. We are not a limited service hotel and we do not provide a “free” frozen product buffet like many of our competitors. Our buffet is from scratch, it has high quality products. We offer eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits & gravy, grits or breakfast potatoes. We will prepare you a waffle to order. We have smoked salmon, pastries fresh fruit and cereals to choose from. Oh, don’t forget you can go back as many times as you want.

Thank you for your comments and thank you for staying with us,

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

The Renaissance is a grand hotel on the water. I was impressed with the hotel as soon as I entered the large atrium. Parking is easy. Restaurants in Olde Towne Portsmouth are within easy walking distance. Nearby ships are easily seen outside the hotel. My room was slightly larger than a normal hotel room. The large angled window provided great waterfront views. My only complaint is the miniature pillows. I will definitely be back on my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Nathunlm,

Thank you for your great comments about the Renaissance. It is a great place to stay while visiting Portsmouth or Norfolk. I am glad you brought up the pillows. We are in the process of changing our pillow program. We will have large pillows in the rooms and will be removing the Euro pillows.

Thank you for staying with us. Travel safe and come back soon,

Reviewed September 18, 2013

First off, the experience getting to the hotel that Saturday was horrible. We phoned the hotel and had wonderful directions to get us around the construction and closed roads. The detours took 90 minutes extra driving and 3 calls to the hotel but we got there. We had thought of turning back home but, the wonderful lady on the phone was VERY helpful and sympathetic. She even offered "something special" when we arrived! Now when we got there the front desk clerk was very sloppy--no tie, shirt not buttoned, jacket open. He appeared to have just been woken up from a break and thrust into the front desk. Poor first image for us. He gave us our room assignment and walked away. No bellman was offered or in sight. We proceeded to take our bags to our room. The room was clean but well-worn and the 'something special' was not there. I looked for hotel information, comment cards, or stationary to find none. Then I remembered our room came with breakfast and the desk clerk never mentioned anything when he gave us our key. I went back to the front desk and was told the reservation I had did not come with breakfast. I returned to my room, got my confirmation sheet-- stating breakfast for two, and went back to the front desk. The desk clerk said "Oh'" and gave me a coupon for breakfast.
The next morning I went to our in-room coffee pot to discover only one coffee serving to split with my wife and myself. We left the room and went to the restaurant for our "included breakfast for two" only to be told the coupon was only for one and we would have to pay for the other person. Back to the front desk with confirmation letter, another "Oh" and I got another breakfast coupon. The meal tasted great and my wife commented they had smoked salmon which is a favorite of mine, not hers. We ate, had coffee and started on to our meeting. This was cut short for me as the salmon had me rushing to the men's room for the rest of the morning. I called the front desk and asked if we could have a late check out of 1:30 as I was not feeling well. I was assured this was fine as the hotel was not too busy. At 11:45, housekeeping was knocking at our door needing to clean the room as the check out was noon. I relayed the late checkout request had been made and was told "Oh." We gathered our things--no bellman, and left the hotel.
The view was nice and the bed was comfortable; but, we will not be back. It is amazing how the little things add up and can really make or break your day. Or in this case, the weekend. So much for a nice get away!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SCPhotoCulpeper

Dear SCPhotoCulpeper,

The tunnel detour can be trying. We try to issue the best directions as possible to get around the tunnel but unfortunately it will add at least 30 minutes to your trip. For future guest that is reading this response the tunnel closing is every weekend until April 2014. Virginia Department of Transportation is refurbishing and repairing the tunnel. So please plan accordingly. I apologize that our desk associate did no met your expectation and I will research his attire. I apologize that your included breakfast was not presented to you at check in and you had to “prove” it to my staff. I apologize for the lack of communication between the desk and housekeeping staff on your late checkout. I will review the issue with the managers of this department. I will be sharing your experience with my managers and associates so we can continue training on troubled areas.
I apologize that you had a bad experience our location we are so much better than your experience. Please visit us again, let me know ahead of time so we can deliver on all of our promises from the “something special” to great service.

My direct office number is 575-673-3001.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel is located on the Portsmouth Waterfront, which offers amazing views of the Elizabeth River. The views were nice and the large coast guard ships were nice to watch. The staff was even nice and accommodating. HOWEVER, the hotel rooms left a lot to be desired. The furniture was old, the cloth chairs were stained, and the room had a musty odor. I felt very uncomfortable with my two young children playing on the floor and climbing up in the chairs because I did not feel the room wa svery clean. The indoor swimming pool was very disappointing as well. There were dead black bugs floating all over the pool. My kids started screaming and I had to remove six of them before we could even enter the pool. The hot tub was equally as bad. I thought I had found my comfort zone in the hot tub, but then the water stopped bubbling and I saw the disgusting floor of the hot tub and all of the rust in the hot tub made me cringe.

The Foggy Point restaurant had a nice breakfast buffet that we enjoyed. It was quite pricey, $15.95, but very filling with an array of breakfast foods and made to order omelets and waffles. The lobby areas and conference rooms were also very nice and well taken care of. My only wish is that the staff would put as much effort into the rooms as they do into the lobby and public areas. I expect excellence from the Marriott brand and unfortunately, I did not receive it here.

Also, avoid the hotel's market! $4 for Altoids... Just take a quick walk down the street and save youself the trouble.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the Elizabeth River, but ask for a view of the Norfolk skyline. It's an...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
ChrisJ537, General Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear 757jewell,

Thank you for your review and your business. I am glad you enjoyed the views and our breakfast buffet. I apologize that we fell short in the guest room and pool areas. I have shared your review with our management staff so we can take corrective measures. Our rooms are much better shape than the one you experienced. We have started the inspection process to locate your room so we can take care of the maintenance issues. Our certified pool operator (CPO) takes so much pride in “his” pool. When I reviewed your experience with him he did mention he has had some trouble with flying insects due to the door being left open from the deck. Not an excuse, just explaining what had happened.

I am glad you shared your experience with us so can make some corrections to serve our future guest better.

Travel safe,

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Location is excellent. Reasonable rate. Nice staffs. That is all I need from a hotel. The pool has a beautiful view as well. I would recommend this hotel.
Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel & Waterfront Conference Center
425 Water Street, Portsmouth, VA 23704

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
ChrisJ537, General Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Huey c,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your business and we hope to see you soon.

Chris Johnson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hilton Norfolk the Main
Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown
Quality Inn Olde Town
Quality Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!