First off, the experience getting to the hotel that Saturday was horrible. We phoned the hotel and had wonderful directions to get us around the construction and closed roads. The detours took 90 minutes extra driving and 3 calls to the hotel but we got there. We had thought of turning back home but, the wonderful lady on the phone was VERY helpful and sympathetic. She even offered "something special" when we arrived! Now when we got there the front desk clerk was very sloppy--no tie, shirt not buttoned, jacket open. He appeared to have just been woken up from a break and thrust into the front desk. Poor first image for us. He gave us our room assignment and walked away. No bellman was offered or in sight. We proceeded to take our bags to our room. The room was clean but well-worn and the 'something special' was not there. I looked for hotel information, comment cards, or stationary to find none. Then I remembered our room came with breakfast and the desk clerk never mentioned anything when he gave us our key. I went back to the front desk and was told the reservation I had did not come with breakfast. I returned to my room, got my confirmation sheet-- stating breakfast for two, and went back to the front desk. The desk clerk said "Oh'" and gave me a coupon for breakfast.
The next morning I went to our in-room coffee pot to discover only one coffee serving to split with my wife and myself. We left the room and went to the restaurant for our "included breakfast for two" only to be told the coupon was only for one and we would have to pay for the other person. Back to the front desk with confirmation letter, another "Oh" and I got another breakfast coupon. The meal tasted great and my wife commented they had smoked salmon which is a favorite of mine, not hers. We ate, had coffee and started on to our meeting. This was cut short for me as the salmon had me rushing to the men's room for the rest of the morning. I called the front desk and asked if we could have a late check out of 1:30 as I was not feeling well. I was assured this was fine as the hotel was not too busy. At 11:45, housekeeping was knocking at our door needing to clean the room as the check out was noon. I relayed the late checkout request had been made and was told "Oh." We gathered our things--no bellman, and left the hotel.
The view was nice and the bed was comfortable; but, we will not be back. It is amazing how the little things add up and can really make or break your day. Or in this case, the weekend. So much for a nice get away!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blending traditional elegance and modern style, our waterside Norfolk, VA area hotel in the historic downtown district of Olde Towne Portsmouth provides calming comfort and soothing relaxation. The Renaissance Portsmouth hotel boasts a hip location overlooking the vibrant, revitalized waterfront and offers stunning views of the Elizabeth River. Set above the harbor, the Portsmouth Ballroom's unique outdoor terrace, part of the 24,000 square feet of Norfolk area hotel meeting space, provides a stunning reception area sure to draw rave reviews from your guests. This updated luxurious Norfolk, Virginia area hotel also features 23 meeting rooms including a 70-seat Amphitheater. Savor the atmosphere of this waterside hotel in Portsmouth at Foggy Point Bar & Grill, presenting a selection of fresh seafood. Visitors to the area can enjoy the unique experience of taking the nearby water taxi across to many of the Norfolk business and visitor destinations including the Norfolk Naval facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel And Waterfront Conference Center
- Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel & Waterfront Portsmouth