“"Luxery hotel in a great location"”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stopped on our way home from a 2 week trip to Florida. This has to be one of the nicest hotels we've ever stayed in. The lobby décor was stunning, the room, spacious, clean, and comfy, and the view overlooking the harbor, outstanding. We also enjoyed the short ferry ride across the harbor, to Norfolk. On our way out in the morning, we stopped in the hotel restaurant, and enjoyed a delicious breakfast. The staff was very friendly and the manager brought us each, out a glass of the chefs smoothie, at the end of our meal. First time staying at Renaissance, but won't be the last.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan V
ChrisJ537, General Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Dan V,

We are so glad you stopped in so we could share with you our lovely hotel. We are proud of the location, views and staff. I hope if you are in the area again you will let us be your hotel of choice.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Best hotel I have stayed at!
My husband and I stayed there this past weekend and I couldn't wait to write a review on how great the hotel is! As soon as we walked in the Decor was so beautiful that I couldn't believe my eyes! The front desk who checked us in because we arrived so late she was so friendly since we had a long drive from Raleigh. Our room was so beautiful I couldn't believe it! Everything in the room was clean and decorated so beautiful, the bed was so comfortable, sheets and comforter so soft! The sight from the windows to the intracoastal was breathtaking, with all the ships! The Foggy point restaurant in the Hotel had excellent food and you could still look out at all the ships! I also had breakfast in bed which was fantastic! I felt like a queen for a weekend for mothers Day, the staff were all friendly and helpful especially the Duffy Brothers! I will definitely come again and recommend to others. Thank you to all the staff at the beautiful Hotel that it is! Looking forward to my next visit!

Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank 917HelenP
ChrisJ537, General Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Helen P,
Thank you for your kind comments. We are very proud of the property and you are correct, the views are fantastic. The food in Foggy Point is excellent and yet the best kept secret in the neighborhood. I wish that part wasn’t true. Thank you for staying and dinning with us.

General Manager.

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

After a long drive towing a trailer from North Carolina, my wife and I were greeted at the Renaissance with friendly smiles and personable service by the bell captains. The front desk staff were also very friendly and got us to our room quickly. And what a room that was! The view was phenomenal. At night the Norfork skyline was great, and during the day, the ships on the intracoastal were so enjoyable to watch. The Navy ships made me proud to be an American! The suite itself was clean and comfortable.
Room service was exceptional. It came during the time we ordered it, making our breakfast in bed an extraordinary experience.
The front desk was also instrumental in getting us Ferry service to From the Renaissance to Norfork! What an enjoyable trip we had!
Our dinner at the Foggy Point Restaurant inside the RENAISSANCE was another highlight of our stay. Good food and exceptional service. And having the option of going outside and enjoying the ships rolling by was another perk.
I will highly recommend the Renaissance in Portsmouth Virginia to all my family and friends

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Helen P,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. We do have a great property, services and food. The décor is really nice and views are fantastic. I will pass your comments on to all staff to appreciate and to the Duffy Brothers as well.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We almost always stay at Renaissances if they are an option for our business travels. We would have to say the Renaissance in Portsmouth is one of our all-time favorites! We were greeted by a welcoming staff in the lobby. Afterwards, we went to the restaurant bar for a cocktail and appetizer after a long day of traveling. Drinks were terrific, food was stunning, and the bartender was charming. After a great night sleep in a very comfortable bed, we had an excellent breakfast in the restaurant before starting our day. We highly recommend the Renaissance Portsmouth hotel to business travelers! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bruce T

Dear Bruce T,

Thank you for your great feedback! We have a great staff in lounge and our breakfast is fantastic. I am glad we will see you again. Come back soon!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We enjoyed this hotel for many reasons and one of them being the title of this post, the view. They have an excellent piece of real estate for being able to not only see the skyline of Norfolk but also the ships being worked on by the Navy. The hotel itself was very nice, friendly staff and great bar/restaurant. The gym is above average for most hotels and there is an indoor pool there as well. I was able to work out and surprised out how dead it was in there. Looked like new carpets as well.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room if possible, they are large and have the view's we mentioned.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Wolfpacker34,

I have to agree with you about the view, between the ships at the yard and boats moving along the river you can stay entertained during the course of your stay. We do have a great staff and we are one of the great secrets of Portsmouth. Thank you for your positive feedback. Come back soon!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed there one night recently and were put off by the awful service. While checking in I asked to talk to the concierge and was advised one was available on the 10th floor for elite customers, but not for other guests. What? When I asked for a recommendation for a restaurant she said there was only one that was near and we later found out from our friends that there was a nearby street loaded with excellent restaurants. Then we asked for wake up calls and did not get them the next morning. Neither did our friends. It got worse. We tried to print out boarding passes and there was no ink in their printer. The breakfast area was practically empty with a sign asking us to wait to be seated. Well, we waited and waited and waited and finally someone showed up who did not greet us or even smile. With a tragically bored look, all she had to say was they had no breakfast buffet today and could she bring us some menus. We couldn't leave fast enough. They must be looking to sell this hotel or something, because we stayed there due to good reviews we have seen.

Room Tip: Become an elite member at Renaissance?
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
ChrisJ537, General Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear jmeyer27,

I apologize for your experience at the Renaissance. As a guest, service is one of the most important aspects of your stay. Our staff is trained on what the local area has to offer as well as maps of downtown to help you navigate your way around our neighborhood. I have to say that I am embarrassed about the non-caring service you encountered in Foggy Point our restaurant. I will use your experience to help our team to develop with additional training. I would like to discuss your stay with you. If you can send me your phone number via email I would like to call you. My email address is chris.johnson@renaissanceportsmouth.com.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Very nice hotel close to many attractions. Friendly and helpful staff. Clean comfortable rooms Parking is tricky, either valet parking, parking garage with no in/out privileges make friends with valet attendants (best bet) or off street parking which can be blocks away. Nice indoor pool for those days you cant make it to beach. Waterfront room have beautiful sunrise and sunset views . The naval shipyard is a interesting sight to wake up to. Straight shot to Virginia Beach and Chesapeake Bay and the Hampton roads area, very central location. Most restaurants and shopping are a ferry ride across river or short drive to Norfolk. Whether traveling with kids, the guys or girls or as a couple this hotel should meet most if not all your needs.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
ChrisJ537, General Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear TEMPSABOVE85,,
Thank you for choosing us for your stay. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and Portsmouth. It is a great community with lots to see. I hope you will be visiting us soon!

General Manger

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hilton Norfolk the Main
Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!