“Wonderful Stay”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My family and I really enjoyed our stay at this property. The location on the Elizabeth made for great views. The staff and service was excellent from the special request for high floor room being meet at checkin to the reasonable priced and delicious food from room service. If we are ever back in the area this hotel will be our first choice.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 15, 2012

There is no doubting that this waterfront hotel is lovely and in the right location for taking in the the historic part of Portsmouth. But what a shame that the service is no more than average. Thank goodness I got a relatively good price for the room which included the parking (can't believe they charge for this). The room was clean, spacious and comfortable and had all the usual features. I had a lovely view across the water to Norfolk which was a bonus. On arrival, there was only one staff member on the desk on check-in who was clearly struggling to deal with phone calls, general enquiries and the flow of people checking-in on a Friday afternoon to attend one of the several events taking place. It took around 20 minutes to check in and a further 20 minutes to resolve a small issue which should have been instantaneous its fixing. Even on departure there was no one at the desk and a cleaner had to fetch the duty manager. The bar was nicely set and the bar tender was pleasant but like the desk staff, was obviously under pressure. The buffet breakfast was okay as were the staff. Once again, I'm pleased that this was included in my room rate because the prices were high for what was on offer. Overall, I had a rather underwhelming experience because this hotel was lacking a certain ambience and the service was basic.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Honestly, as a resident of a local area, I don't usually think about including Portsmouth on my list of plans. But this is a definite treasure to the area. The hotel has all of the grandeur of a fancy hotel in New York city on the inside. The rooms are very nicely kept with fresh, clean linens and comfortable bed accessories. We attended a Christmas party there and the staff in the ballroom were all very friendly and courteous. There is a bar, a small food shop, and a parking garage for convenience. I would definitely book a room here again for a little weekend getaway! Wish I could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: If you want views of the water, be sure to ask for that when you check in or when you book.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was in Portsmouth for work and again stayed at the conveniently located Renaissance. I'm able to walk and take care of business right in Portsmouth. The property is nice and clean. The desk staff are always friendly and attentive to any needs. I stayed on the concierge level and the appetizers and deserts were awesome. The lady attending the lounge (wish I could remember her name) was friendly and chatty as I was the only one the lounge at the time. She encouraged me to come back for desert after dinner which was worth it. I've never had any issues staying here. The bar prices are a bit inflated but what do you expect for a hotel bar. There are a few cheaper options within walking distance in the downtown area.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views. But one side faces the shipyard which isn't an excellent view b...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Ren_Portsmouth, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear J_A_Mc98,

Thank you for staying with us at the Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel and for sharing your experience. We are glad that we are only a short distance from your place of business and are extremely delighted that you had the chance to explore the local area and the several unique chef-owned restaurants within walking distance to our hotel. Your kind words have been passed along to our PM Concierge lounge attendant; she takes great pride in ensuring all our guests are well taken care of. Thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to having you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed December 2, 2012

This hotel is right in the center of the historic district of Portsmouth, Its beautiful! My room was great.

The iron board made it hard to Iron clothes, which I can't stand.

Apparently every room has a view, and mine was just BEAUTIFUL overlooking the city of Norfolk.
This hotel is surrounded by the history of this great city, The children's museum, the Virginia Sports hall of fame, and the Portsmouth Naval Museum.

I have no complaints from this place. and If I had the chance, I'd stay again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Great location, short walk to restaurants in old town Portsmouth or a quick ferry ride to downtown Norfolk. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Great views of the river...never would have guessed this quality hotel would be in Portsmouth! A great spot if you have business in the Portsmouth area!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The hotel had some really nice features. The lobby, and the views. The rooms where average. You get the shampoo and conditioner but no other extras. Even no extra toilet paper as someone previously stated . If any of the rooms are in poor condition it is I am sure form the parties they have that get out of control. We experienced this on our stay for a family wedding. There was a function on Sat night before our departure and the party must have continued in the halls and rooms on our floor. Doors slamming, banging on the walls, smoking in the halls. You could see the results in the morning with trash in the hall and the elevator floor was unbelievable! If the hotel has the same functions yearly they should be more prepared with extra security on all floors, not just the lobby and ballrooms.(which can be billed to the parties holding the functions.) All the staff where very friendly.
Our family did have several breakfast at the restaurant and the food and service was good. We did have one incident with a sliver of glass found in a beverage and we were compensated for this and the staff could not apologies enough.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hilton Norfolk the Main
Quality Inn Olde Town
Quality Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth
Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!