“Good Location on the Waterfront”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We spent 3 nights with the family in this Renaissance Hotel. The infrastructure is in a very good shape and the location is right at the Elisabeth River on the opposite side of the Maritime Museum @Norfolk. There is a regular Ferry Service (USD 1.5 per ride) to Norfolk and back to the Hotel. The Breakfast Buffett was really good and acceptable in price.
The Parking is adjacent to the hotel and is not integrated into the hotel, so this is a small disadvantage. The walk from the parking to the room can be a bit long.
I believe most of the rooms have a nice River view, otherwise ask for it at reservation or check-in.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel

Reviewed August 5, 2012

An exceptional hotel in every way ... from the valet service to the front desk to the restaurant! The rooms are wonderful with luxurious bedding and very clean. Also, you have the best view possible with every single room. I will continue to come back again and again!

Room Tip: Don't forget to enjoy the breakfast here! A wonderful breakfast buffet with a great view of the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Renaissance Hotel in Portsmouth, Virginia, exceed my expectations, they treat each client exceptional well. Always greeted with a smile and how can I help you? They make a person feel that they are their number one priority. The location of this hotel has exceptional views from port. The service is outstanding. The bathroom always clean, comfortable king size bed. Cable/satellite television channels, Wake-up calls, which was very important to myself. Also, the Complimentary newspaper went very well with the morning coffee. The Foggy Point Bar & Grill restaurant has delicious food and a bar/lounge are is a great place just to unwind and watch the boats go by. The hotel has top of the line Business amenities, with secretarial services, and audio-visual equipment. Renaissance Portsmouth has a tantalizing indoor pool and an exuberant fitness room. There is high-speed Internet access (surcharge); however, there is a public area that has wireless Internet access for a surcharge. Renaissance Hotel is always, in my opinion, offers a relaxing setting at least every time I have gone there. I am excited each time my business takes back to Portsmouth, Virginia. The only drawback is that parking can be tricky. I would defiantly recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a great view of the bay, however, the higher you are the better the view is.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Andrea T, Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your kind words about our hotel, service and most of all our team which we are extremely proud of. We so look forward to the pleasure of your stay very soon

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We just stayed 07/22/2012 for one night for my birthday...I wish we could have stayed longer!! It looked just like the pics online....It was beautiful.The check-in & check-out was fast..great customer service and friendly staff. This hotel is part of the Marriot chain, It has a restaurant in the hotel and the views of the river are awesome (especially at night). We stayed on the 11th floor at the end of the hall....the bedroom has a mini fridge..huge bed & a nice chaise lounge chair and desk & chair. The pillow-top matress was so comfortable with all those fluffy over-sized pillows...LOVED IT!!! Oh yeah...they have a ferry (free) that you can ride from the hotel across the harbor, it runs every 30 minutes...so save your gas. THE ONLY HOTEL I WILL STAY IN IF IN THE AREA AGAIN!!!

Room Tip: Be prepared to walk...it is a good walk from the check-in desk to the elevators and from the parking...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Hands down, the view was the best part of this hotel. You should know that the hotel caters to events and there are often large groups attending. Expensive parking options... You may valet park for $18/ day or self-park for $10. The hallway from entrance to front desk and then to elevator is about 200 yards, so let the nice porters help with your bags. Ask about free in room wifi.

Guest rooms are renovated and comfortable. Aveda products let guests pamper themselves. Unfortunately, there is no safe in the room, which I would have expected with a 4 star rating.

The lobby restaurant has some delicious options. I enjoyed the stuffed fish and filet mijon.

I was very impressed with the customer service by front desk personnel. One helped me get a menu for take out when the restaurant was closed and bartender helping someone else. They also apologized for an evening maintenance call to the wrong room with a meal credit. I called down for bill clarification/ separation and it was taken care of upon checkout. Valet and bell service personnel were prompt and friendly. My favorite thing was the nice notes and towel animals from housekeeping. It made me feel like I was on a cruise ship again.

1  Thank TouristSanDiego
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

We had a beautiful room on the fifth floor, with king sized bed. Bathroom was nice except for the hair dryer which was a little dirty and the shower didn't drain very well. The bed was very comfortable.

If you buy a package deal including coupons or breakfast be sure to check your bill before you leave to make sure it's applied. The breakfast buffet was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank M W

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to Portsmouth and for sharing your review. I will absolutely follow up on the few issues you encountered during your visit with us.

We are glad to hear that our romance package created a good value for you and you were able to share quality time together! Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I spent a week at this hotel for work and overall it was a good experience with some minor issues. The hotel is clean, beds are comforable, and the staff was very friendly. The waterside view was amazing and the ferry convenient.

Now the minor issues. The walls are paper thin. I could hear my neighbors in the shower, coughing and even heard someone yawning very loudly. I was jolted out of my sleep a couple of times from doors slamming and a neighbor dropping something on their tile bathroom floor. I came back to the hotel from conference one day after the maid had cleaned only to find an unflushed toilet. I don't know if I left without flushing, but if I did then the maid should have cleaned it instead of just shutting the lid. One evening, I decided to order breakfast so I placed the hang tag outside my door before midnight (10:30pm) as requested. I woke up to no breakfast and found the hang tag still on my door. When I called down, they apologized and offered to bring breakfast up which I couldn't do since I was leaving. Really wanted my eggs:(

I would definitely come back and probably will, but I now know to bring ear plugs next time.

1  Thank luv2travel821
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!