“Great view and customer service with average room”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
San Diego
“Great view and customer service with average room”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Hands down, the view was the best part of this hotel. You should know that the hotel caters to events and there are often large groups attending. Expensive parking options... You may valet park for $18/ day or self-park for $10. The hallway from entrance to front desk and then to elevator is about 200 yards, so let the nice porters help with your bags. Ask about free in room wifi.

Guest rooms are renovated and comfortable. Aveda products let guests pamper themselves. Unfortunately, there is no safe in the room, which I would have expected with a 4 star rating.

The lobby restaurant has some delicious options. I enjoyed the stuffed fish and filet mijon.

I was very impressed with the customer service by front desk personnel. One helped me get a menu for take out when the restaurant was closed and bartender helping someone else. They also apologized for an evening maintenance call to the wrong room with a meal credit. I called down for bill clarification/ separation and it was taken care of upon checkout. Valet and bell service personnel were prompt and friendly. My favorite thing was the nice notes and towel animals from housekeeping. It made me feel like I was on a cruise ship again.

1 Thank TouristSanDiego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

We had a beautiful room on the fifth floor, with king sized bed. Bathroom was nice except for the hair dryer which was a little dirty and the shower didn't drain very well. The bed was very comfortable.

If you buy a package deal including coupons or breakfast be sure to check your bill before you leave to make sure it's applied. The breakfast buffet was excellent.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank M W
Andrea T, Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to Portsmouth and for sharing your review. I will absolutely follow up on the few issues you encountered during your visit with us.

We are glad to hear that our romance package created a good value for you and you were able to share quality time together! Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I spent a week at this hotel for work and overall it was a good experience with some minor issues. The hotel is clean, beds are comforable, and the staff was very friendly. The waterside view was amazing and the ferry convenient.

Now the minor issues. The walls are paper thin. I could hear my neighbors in the shower, coughing and even heard someone yawning very loudly. I was jolted out of my sleep a couple of times from doors slamming and a neighbor dropping something on their tile bathroom floor. I came back to the hotel from conference one day after the maid had cleaned only to find an unflushed toilet. I don't know if I left without flushing, but if I did then the maid should have cleaned it instead of just shutting the lid. One evening, I decided to order breakfast so I placed the hang tag outside my door before midnight (10:30pm) as requested. I woke up to no breakfast and found the hang tag still on my door. When I called down, they apologized and offered to bring breakfast up which I couldn't do since I was leaving. Really wanted my eggs:(

I would definitely come back and probably will, but I now know to bring ear plugs next time.

1 Thank luv2travel821
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Had a business trip to Portsmouth, and took the wife along. The hotel is familiar, and was very nice. Great service, had a corner room overlooking the river, and a nice breakfast to start the day!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view when you check in. If they have one, they'll give it to you for the regular...
Northern VA
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Arrived with my wife late in the evening for a two night stay, and I found the lobby packed with people. However, they were all simply meeting with each other and having fun, so check in was not impeded at all. We did note, though, that parking was a bit tight that evening (we ended up parking on top of the 5 story parking garage). Keep in mind that the walk from the parking garage to the front desk is not a short walk but a hike: from the parking garage, to the elevator that takes you to ground level, to the long hallway that then turns to the right and puts you in front of the check in desk. Lesson learned - drop you passengers and luggage at the front, and THEN park your car.

Because there were so many people around the lobby, it was a bit of a wait to get an elevator to go up to our room. It was worth the wait, though! As Marriott Gold Members we were upgraded to a very nice suite on the 6th floor, and we had an excellent view of the river and downtown Norfolk across from our location. However, for some reason the suite didn't come with a bathtub - shower only - and that disappointed my wife. We thought we could make up for it with a dip in the hot tum by the 3rd floor indoor pool, but it was full of kids most of the time we were there. Speaking of children, we were awoken at 2 a.m. with little ones running up and down the hall. Certainly not what we would have expected at a Renaissance, but we did note that it only happened ONCE.

Highly recommend taking the passenger ferry to downtown Norfolk. A tip - buy your two trip ticket ($3.00) at the Portsmouth Visitors Center located near the ferry landing. It'll save you time hunting for exact change when trying to board the ferry, and you'll be able to get a free map that helps in exploring Norfolk (while talking with the very nice ladies working there!).

One complaint - the lack of coffee in the lobby on Saturday and Sunday morning of our stay. However, there is a coffee "hut" a couple of blocks down from the hotel (corner of Water and High Streets) that serves excellent and inexpensive coffee with a smile. I noted the coffee place was listed as the #1 restaurant in Portsmouth, and with that kind of service I can see why!

Try the water in the dispenser in the lobby; it is flavored with lemons and cucumbers, and it was very refreshing after walking outside in the heat and humidity.

Again, as we explored Portsmouth and Norfolk we kept on being pleasantly surprised by just how close everything is to this particular hotel - it is in an ideal location surrounded by historical sites and museums that appeal to all generations. We visit this area fairly regularly, and we think we've now found our next Favorite Hotel for the Tidewater area!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Downtown Norfolk - very pretty at night!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I enjoyed our free stay (thanks to a certificate we won at a his job's holiday party that was held here) on 4th of July weekend at this hotel. The Renaissance l is definitely in a prime location within Portsmouth, as all rooms have a gorgeous view of the Elizabeth River facing downtown Norfolk. The shipyard can also be seen from the deck of the hotel's restaurant. The staff was friendly and made us feel like valued guests. The decor throughout the hotel was tasteful and modern. The king bed we slept on was very comfortable (pillows and all) and we appreciated the flat screen TV and fridge inside the room! The bathroom was a nice size and matched the contemporary feel of the rest of the room.

I would be willing to return, except Olde Towne doesn't offer much of a reason to visit! The social scene does not match the potential the location offers. As Lisa G. stated, Olde Towne is quaint, but dead! Roger Brown's and Mansion are not enough to convince people to drive through the midtown tunnel or catch the ferry from Norfolk to hang out in Portsmouth! I highly recommend the hotel; however, if you plan to hang out, be prepared to cross the river into Norfolk or drive into Virginia Beach to get your night scene fix.

Room Tip: All rooms have a river front room - you can't lose!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

i had a great time at this hotel. great ambience. clean rooms. great customer service. nice scenery. good location. a diamond in the rough. leisure travel. would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luscious s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!